ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by ripio »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
25 Nov 2020, 19:51
I once had leave in safeplace as porch. They did not have a porch.....go figure. Safe to say it was form lefted.
I've had several of those recently, safeplace: "enclosed porch" but no porch at address.
Even had one with safeplace "garage", there was no garage!
Joe4567
Posts: 45
Joined: 05 Aug 2019, 15:09
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by Joe4567 »

When people put enclosed front porch when they don’t have one I think it’s a cheeky way of them asking you to just doorstep it IMO
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by fb1969 »

Where this happens I always use "safeplace not available or not safe" on the PDA - stops them complaining that I didn't use the Safeplace. At the end of the day, it is the postie's decision whether to leave it or not.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by claretandblue »

Joe4567 wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 05:40
When people put enclosed front porch when they don’t have one I think it’s a cheeky way of them asking you to just doorstep it IMO
It seems to be a lot of Amazon parcels that say this.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by clashcityrocker »

Joe4567 wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 05:40
When people put enclosed front porch when they don’t have one I think it’s a cheeky way of them asking you to just doorstep it IMO
I think it is a default option that hasn't been updated.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

I had a parcel with a Tracked no signature label on today. But when I scanned it came up with signature and had neighbour and safe place crossed out. Must have been a special labelled as a tracked, is that even possible?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by yellowbelly »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 17:18
I had a parcel with a Tracked no signature label on today. But when I scanned it came up with signature and had neighbour and safe place crossed out. Must have been a special labelled as a tracked, is that even possible?
I've had it the other way round too where it says Tracked Signed on the label but doesn't require a signature
when scanned. Some sort of glitch is the system and/or labelling I would imagine.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by SpacePhoenix »

You get a similar glitch occasionally with SDs. You'll occasionally get an SD where the customer generated label says it's a 1pm but when scanned on the STAR gun it flags it up as being a 9am. Don't know about STAR guns in DOs but unless they're glitching the STAR guns in MCs make a different sound when you can a 9am
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by rambo1 »

claretandblue wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 14:09
Joe4567 wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 05:40
When people put enclosed front porch when they don’t have one I think it’s a cheeky way of them asking you to just doorstep it IMO
It seems to be a lot of Amazon parcels that say this.
I nearly tripped over an Amazon packet in the dark last week. House is built right up to the footpath . Parcel was between the door and the kerb! Really don't know how they get away with it. If you had a transit you could drive round the village I deliver and clean up helping yourself, it's ridiculous, don't think they even knock!
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by claretandblue »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 20:02
claretandblue wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 14:09
Joe4567 wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 05:40
When people put enclosed front porch when they don’t have one I think it’s a cheeky way of them asking you to just doorstep it IMO
It seems to be a lot of Amazon parcels that say this.
I nearly tripped over an Amazon packet in the dark last week. House is built right up to the footpath . Parcel was between the door and the kerb! Really don't know how they get away with it. If you had a transit you could drive round the village I deliver and clean up helping yourself, it's ridiculous, don't think they even knock!
Amazon even doorstep parcels that go through the letter box where we deliver
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by HTPostman »

Before last week I reckon only 1% of tracked had those options crossed out. I’m not exaggerating, today it must’ve been 70%. What the hell is going on? Don’t tell me it’s another wonderful PDA update....

I even had 2 in flight requests to deliver to neighbours which I couldn’t do as the neighbour option was crossed off.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by fb1969 »

I heard that there have been too many items "going missing" so RM have removed the options. Not saying that its a fact, just the office rumour mill.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by Postie45 »

fb1969 wrote: ↑
02 Dec 2020, 18:06
I heard that there have been too many items "going missing" so RM have removed the options. Not saying that its a fact, just the office rumour mill.
pretty much, no such thing as a "safe place" unless it can be locked.
pauled5
Posts: 19
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 21:55

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by pauled5 »

Just an update on my post. In the office I tried scanning a tracked item on my pda and safeplace and neighbour were crossed out. So I scanned it again on another pda and safe place, neighbour was NOT crossed out. So maybe a fault with my pda?
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Tracked items neighbour/safeplace

Post by fb1969 »

There seems to be a few issues with individual PDAs, so it is possible.

A couple of weeks ago we had a postie who was unable to scan items with the barcode starting with two specific letters (can't remember which) - it didn't matter if he scanned the 1D or 2D. The items were scanned into the office ok, and could be scanned on PDAs that other people were using. But on his PDA it just came up with and error message of invalid barcode.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.