ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

posties without duty's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dex7
Posts: 33
Joined: 20 Jul 2018, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by Dex7 »

ddtc wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 08:44
CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2020, 20:21
Part time reserve here. Yes its a bit s**t. Moved from frame to frame on a manager's whim. But like some of the others say I just stand up for myself. If I want overtime I do it. If I don't want overtime I leave mail in the frame or if I have overestimated what I can do I bring it back.
Luckily my office has got to the point where managers don't bother asking why walks are not cleared. Less stress indeed and plus its obvious you can't clear anyway as we get out later and later. What annoys me is I've been practically on one walk since march. Then all of a sudden a senior full timer has gone off his walk and took the one I've been on mostly for xmas. Well there goes another no tip xmas. Fed up of some full timers looking after themselves. Plus when you are a day off cover the regular duty holder always makes sure all the d2ds are in when your on it, leaves so much parcels behind, and literally the least amount of mail possible before they have a day off. So yeah I used to care to clear but the selfishness of some, I can't be asked, they can moan all they like. I feel for you guys who can't face asking a manager, I've been there. Not a good feeling being confronted, but after you stand your ground more than once it gets easier honestly :thumbup
Yes, same here. All they care about is the tracked packets. I'm a part time reserve, I basically always take about 2 rows of mail and the packets. If I'm done early I will come back for a little bit of mail to take me to my time. If I accidentally take too much, it gets brought back and put back in the frame. Manager is always fine with it. Maybe I just work in one of the better offices because I would hate to be arguing with the LM every day.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by 2yearpostie »

Dont worry all you posties without duties will be sacked when the 5 day uso comes in
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by HTPostman »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2020, 18:48
Dont worry all you posties without duties will be sacked when the 5 day uso comes in
No they won’t:

1. Annual leave needs covering

2. Short term sick leave needs covering

3. Long term sick leave needs covering

4. There will be natural wastage - newbies who don’t like the job and quit

5. Retirements

6. Any new contracts will have to be agreed by each individual employee - some won’t be happy with the new contracts and will quit.

7. RM may instead choose to tupe us onto new contracts - some won’t be happy and will quit.

8. New working practices including potentially longer rounds, change to start times etc - some won’t be happy and will quit.

9. There is a reason all the recent new starters have a contract end date of June/July 2021.

10. LATs need doing.

11. A sudden influx of Specials - I read recently about a village of 120 houses that had a special delivery letter for every single house.

12. Packet relief/drivers

13. Cut offs, van breakdowns, accident while on delivery - all can be covered by a reserve.

14. As a last resort if on any given day there really isn’t any outdoor work, most reserves are on PT contracts and it’s quite easy to fill 5/6 hours indoors prepping rounds or D2Ds or collecting trays, killing off mail, tidying yorks.

15. Last but not least, those without duties are some of the most flexible employees at RM. At the drop of a hat they can be put on any round, with days of mail. Do you think RM want to keep that kind of worker, who knows say 20 different rounds, expected to drive any van, and just slots in where needed?

Or would RM prefer to keep the likes of Keith who has his own round, don’t even think of moving him from his duty, he won’t work a minute of OT, threatens to walk out if his round didn’t go out on his day off or if he’s given a different van to his own.

Need any more reasons?

For once I do actually believe RM when they say those who ‘want to’ and ‘can’ work for RM will have a job. But I think so many ‘won’t want to’ and ‘can’t’ when changes are brought in.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by Acca Dacca »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2020, 18:48
Dont worry all you posties without duties will be sacked when the 5 day uso comes in
Not only is that not true, its a quite frankly disgusting post to make especially in this climate.

And Im saying that as a duty holder.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
newpostyco13
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 36
Joined: 04 Sep 2020, 16:03
Gender: Male
Location: thenorthovertabridge

Re: posties without duty's

Post by newpostyco13 »

Jpro747 wrote: ↑
21 Nov 2020, 20:40
Reserve here. I just do what I can within my time to the best of my ability, whatever I can’t do comes back.
im same as you but my van driver is a prick no matter how many times i say if it fits i take it
reppin posty co
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: posties without duty's

Post by k979aaa »

You can generally tell who is a manger by the posts they make.
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by ddtc »

k979aaa wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 23:24
You can generally tell who is a manger by the posts they make.
Well they have to spend there free time doing nothing doing something :thumbup
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by smartecosse »

Part time floater on 27.5hrs

Fed up hearing that the FT duty holders can clear the their duties....well yes they can as they have left the building by 8.30 most days as so little mail to box in that they are on a flyer.

I do that start till 8.48 so they are an hour ahead of me by the time I'm ready to go.

Plus I don't want overtime.....so pretty much drama every day as it's unusual to be able to clear a while duty in the actual amount of time that it's meant to take.

It's like two different workforces between the FT and the PT staff.....zero team work and inept management.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Overtime as more and more parcel sorting gets automated I can see there being an end to fixed walks with walks being dynamically generated. Just needs the implementation of suitable hardware and software to do so (probably something on the lines of the REX software that PF use but a much more powerful version)
goneaway
Posts: 314
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by goneaway »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 12:57
Overtime as more and more parcel sorting gets automated I can see there being an end to fixed walks with walks being dynamically generated. Just needs the implementation of suitable hardware and software to do so (probably something on the lines of the REX software that PF use but a much more powerful version)
Surely "dynamically generated" walks are a pipe dream at the moment. How the heck would manual sorting work properly if "Acacia Avenue" is on Walk 32 one day, 29 the next, 27 the day after...?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by SpacePhoenix »

goneaway wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 13:37
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 12:57
Overtime as more and more parcel sorting gets automated I can see there being an end to fixed walks with walks being dynamically generated. Just needs the implementation of suitable hardware and software to do so (probably something on the lines of the REX software that PF use but a much more powerful version)
Surely "dynamically generated" walks are a pipe dream at the moment. How the heck would manual sorting work properly if "Acacia Avenue" is on Walk 32 one day, 29 the next, 27 the day after...?
Sorting packets to walk level is already possible but not yet at the scale that RM would required. I reckon that within a few years most packets will be a 3 day delivery span
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by Postie45 »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
28 Nov 2020, 04:10
2yearpostie wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2020, 18:48
Dont worry all you posties without duties will be sacked when the 5 day uso comes in
No they won’t:


Need any more reasons?
also the fact after everything youve mentioned that any planned reduction in staff would have to go through a VR process which I think a great deal of people would take before they can start sacking willing workers.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
29 Nov 2020, 12:57
Overtime as more and more parcel sorting gets automated I can see there being an end to fixed walks with walks being dynamically generated. Just needs the implementation of suitable hardware and software to do so (probably something on the lines of the REX software that PF use but a much more powerful version)
They will need to get rid of 90% of managers who can’t even manage to organise fixed walks before they start thinking about things like this.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Re: posties without duty's

Post by ScousePostie »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2020, 18:48
Dont worry all you posties without duties will be sacked when the 5 day uso comes in
Based on that thinking I would be out of the job whilst colleagues who've been at RM for less time would be kept on.