ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

Mmm read everything and I am still going to use my own car. As someone said I'll do what's best for me. Interesting to get people's opinions on here still though. And if anyone else from other DOs are in the same boat.

No we do not have a start time in our contract which is why management are making all the new starters start work in the afternoon and not the old timers who have better contracts.

So it is either work in the dark or use my own car and I prefer to use my own car. I will only be doing mail in my own car, driving to 5 stop points and looping from there. Then go back and get a van to do the packets. So its a sort of compromise. For me it beats working in the dark.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

I must admit that I am disappointed in the union CWU. Yet again because it is only part time leave reserves who are affected and not the full time staff..... they don't seem to give a s**t. There was talk that the union were going to ensure that those working in the dark would only do packets and not mail blah blah blah but it seems it was just rumours and once again the union aren't doing jack s**t.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

I wonder..... can I claim mileage and wear and tear etc. if I use my own car?
richietns
Posts: 1101
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 18:09
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by richietns »

CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 23:20
I must admit that I am disappointed in the union CWU. Yet again because it is only part time leave reserves who are affected and not the full time staff..... they don't seem to give a s**t. There was talk that the union were going to ensure that those working in the dark would only do packets and not mail blah blah blah but it seems it was just rumours and once again the union aren't doing jack s**t.
The union took private cars off delivery yet your using yours.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by Marshamp11 »

As long as you dont bellyache when the company decides that owner driver status is the way forward and you have to supply your own van/insurance/maintenance of said vehicle etc etc. Because that is exactly what you are doing. :no no
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by steve1873 »

CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 23:18
Mmm read everything and I am still going to use my own car. As someone said I'll do what's best for me. Interesting to get people's opinions on here still though. And if anyone else from other DOs are in the same boat.

No we do not have a start time in our contract which is why management are making all the new starters start work in the afternoon and not the old timers who have better contracts.

So it is either work in the dark or use my own car and I prefer to use my own car. I will only be doing mail in my own car, driving to 5 stop points and looping from there. Then go back and get a van to do the packets. So its a sort of compromise. For me it beats working in the dark.
You cannot carry mail in your private vehicle. Private car use is only authorised as a means to following your van share partner out to delivery and then using the van as a mobile drop box.

You will be both breaking Royal Mail security protocols and more than likely the law as you will not be properly insured.

I hope nothing happens, but I would urge you to have a rethink.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

steve1873 wrote: ↑
26 Nov 2020, 04:58
CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 23:18
Mmm read everything and I am still going to use my own car. As someone said I'll do what's best for me. Interesting to get people's opinions on here still though. And if anyone else from other DOs are in the same boat.

No we do not have a start time in our contract which is why management are making all the new starters start work in the afternoon and not the old timers who have better contracts.

So it is either work in the dark or use my own car and I prefer to use my own car. I will only be doing mail in my own car, driving to 5 stop points and looping from there. Then go back and get a van to do the packets. So its a sort of compromise. For me it beats working in the dark.
You cannot carry mail in your private vehicle. Private car use is only authorised as a means to following your van share partner out to delivery and then using the van as a mobile drop box.

You will be both breaking Royal Mail security protocols and more than likely the law as you will not be properly insured.

I hope nothing happens, but I would urge you to have a rethink.
In that case how come (at least) 3 of us in our delivery office are using our own cars to deliver mail every day with the permission of both the DOM and duty supervisor?

Would both managers agree to several people in our office breaking the rules like this?

Seems unlikely.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

richietns wrote: ↑
25 Nov 2020, 06:20
CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 23:20
I must admit that I am disappointed in the union CWU. Yet again because it is only part time leave reserves who are affected and not the full time staff..... they don't seem to give a s**t. There was talk that the union were going to ensure that those working in the dark would only do packets and not mail blah blah blah but it seems it was just rumours and once again the union aren't doing jack s**t.
The union took private cars off delivery yet your using yours.
Was more pissed off about the union not caring that it is only part time leave reserves that have afternoon starts and are doing our deliveries in the dark....... this then means that it is only part time leave reserves that end up using our own cars to avoid working in the dark. The full timers don't have to make this choice.

Yet again the union are letting down us part time leave reserves.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by citypostie »

Why use your car or start late when you can van share?
Cluaran
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Aug 2019, 23:23
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by Cluaran »

:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh There is no talking to some people!! Posties are their own worst enemies!!!
Last edited by Cluaran on 26 Nov 2020, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by fb1969 »

Your biggest issue is the legality of things. In a previous job I had to process travel claims and check insurance policies etc.

If you are driving out to delivery without mail in your car, then leaving it for the day while you deliver you may not be insured. That is commuting to more than one place of work, some insurers include it as standard and others charge a (not large) fee, LV and Direct Line both seem to have it as standard,

If you are taking mail in your car you are not insured unless you have "commercial travelling" (or similar) on your policy - that is not included as standard and probably costs a fair bit (no idea, as never done it). If you are doing this and the Police stop you, you are the one in trouble - not RM and not your DOM. And if something happens and you need to make a claim, your insurance company may not cover you.

RM did say they would cover you on their policy if you use your car and claim mileage - but that would only be Third Party cover, so it wouldn't cover your car. Ignoring accidents, someone may see you leaving your car and then break into it thinking there is mail in it - you would not be covered for that.

I fully agree with you about the situation you are in and the choice you feel have had to make, but you need be aware of the potential risks involved.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by postslippete »

CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 23:18
Mmm read everything and I am still going to use my own car. As someone said I'll do what's best for me. Interesting to get people's opinions on here still though. And if anyone else from other DOs are in the same boat.

No we do not have a start time in our contract which is why management are making all the new starters start work in the afternoon and not the old timers who have better contracts.

So it is either work in the dark or use my own car and I prefer to use my own car. I will only be doing mail in my own car, driving to 5 stop points and looping from there. Then go back and get a van to do the packets. So its a sort of compromise. For me it beats working in the dark.

I don't envy you chickypig. I would rather work mornings than the evenings. Bit bad your office can't put up more hire vans seeing as you're travelling out in your private vehicle and coming back to the office to go back out again to do the large packets. Most guys from our place prefer the mornings. A few who initially started at 12 really didn't want to be out finishing at gone 6
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by Marshamp11 »

CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
26 Nov 2020, 19:39
steve1873 wrote: ↑
26 Nov 2020, 04:58
CHUCKYPIG wrote: ↑
24 Nov 2020, 23:18
Mmm read everything and I am still going to use my own car. As someone said I'll do what's best for me. Interesting to get people's opinions on here still though. And if anyone else from other DOs are in the same boat.

No we do not have a start time in our contract which is why management are making all the new starters start work in the afternoon and not the old timers who have better contracts.

So it is either work in the dark or use my own car and I prefer to use my own car. I will only be doing mail in my own car, driving to 5 stop points and looping from there. Then go back and get a van to do the packets. So its a sort of compromise. For me it beats working in the dark.
You cannot carry mail in your private vehicle. Private car use is only authorised as a means to following your van share partner out to delivery and then using the van as a mobile drop box.

You will be both breaking Royal Mail security protocols and more than likely the law as you will not be properly insured.

I hope nothing happens, but I would urge you to have a rethink.
In that case how come (at least) 3 of us in our delivery office are using our own cars to deliver mail every day with the permission of both the DOM and duty supervisor?

Would both managers agree to several people in our office breaking the rules like this?

Seems unlikely.
Of course they will give permission, they are only interested in getting the mail delivered by whatever means they can. Have you got permission in writing?
Probably not. So when the crap hits fan for any reason, accident/stolen or damaged car/Police asking for insurance details etc etc they will deny any knowledge of permission and leave you to carry the can. Its your licence not theirs.
sfxdby
Posts: 81
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by sfxdby »

by CHUCKYPIG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 pm

I wonder..... can I claim mileage and wear and tear etc. if I use my own car?


You cannot claim wear and tear. As you are doing your managers a huge favour, you should at least be claiming your mileage. I think that is paid at about 40p per mile.
You have to look after yourself, but you should glean from the replies that you are not allowed to do what you are doing.
The biggest stitch-up in the Royal Mail is between the management and the full-time staff.
Delivering in the dark is unnecessary. It's inefficient. Don't do it.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Use own car to deliver mail or deliver in the dark?

Post by citypostie »

The payment is about 47p a mile and that's to cover wear and tear and fuel