Good for you for standing up to this bully. It’s completely unacceptable. You should also inform your rep of the conversation you had with the manager and write everything down, times/dates of what was said and when etc. And if it keeps happening log a grievance. It’s also important that you keep your cool and act professional so it gives them no ammo to use against you.matthew68 wrote:What is the cut off procedure? Because today had arguments with stand in manager as I said I wasn’t doing lapsing, he said I had to take it out but I wasn’t going past my time today as I’ve had enough and felt too tired today, he then says I am lucky to be in a job at the moment and there are thousands of people who would jump at the chance of this job! He said I wasn’t following procedures properly and if I brought mail back it would be a disciplinary! I just said to him I’m doing my hours and that’s it, he then went crazy when I brought my last loop back and left lapsing in frame! He said he would take this further tomorrow, but it was crazy today and I just worked my hours they all just seem a bunch of bulliesnoggin1969 wrote:Stick to bag weight and delivery methods. Start on time , take your break/s , , follow cut off procedure , finish on time.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Shocking what's going on.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Shocking what’s going on.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
That's fine if you can get out in good time,we are indoors well over 2 hours everyday as i'm sure you are!Cucumber wrote:We are on practically the same daily hours as that, so minus break we are roughly 7 hours which translates as 1.5 hour indoor and 5.5 hours outdoor.Bahia Feliz wrote:We are on a 7hr 36 day everyday now,do 1hr IPS. I am more or less only taking half my round out each day now (rural) plus the tracked/specials for the other half.
quite enjoying it actually,no hassle from managers,no absorption/lapsing,I take the other half the next day etc.
I read on the DISPUTE thread that the company want us to be first letter to last letter = 5 hours. Erm, we are well over that as it is.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Shocking what’s going on.
Next time, just ask him outright if Overtime is voluntary.matthew68 wrote:What is the cut off procedure? Because today had arguments with stand in manager as I said I wasn’t doing lapsing, he said I had to take it out but I wasn’t going past my time today as I’ve had enough and felt too tired today, he then says I am lucky to be in a job at the moment and there are thousands of people who would jump at the chance of this job! He said I wasn’t following procedures properly and if I brought mail back it would be a disciplinary! I just said to him I’m doing my hours and that’s it, he then went crazy when I brought my last loop back and left lapsing in frame! He said he would take this further tomorrow, but it was crazy today and I just worked my hours they all just seem a bunch of bulliesnoggin1969 wrote:Stick to bag weight and delivery methods. Start on time , take your break/s , , follow cut off procedure , finish on time.
It's Royal Mail's decision to make OT voluntary, this is their argument as to why they don't pay holiday pay at a rate of "average hours worked".
If this manager wants to change the RM policy to make it mandatory, get it in writing, and we can all start legal action.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
Must admit I thought that when I read it. They must be taking some off my rural as it takes much longer than 5 hrs to deliver after traveling time and outdoor 20 min break.Cucumber wrote:We are on practically the same daily hours as that, so minus break we are roughly 7 hours which translates as 1.5 hour indoor and 5.5 hours outdoor.Bahia Feliz wrote:We are on a 7hr 36 day everyday now,do 1hr IPS. I am more or less only taking half my round out each day now (rural) plus the tracked/specials for the other half.
quite enjoying it actually,no hassle from managers,no absorption/lapsing,I take the other half the next day etc.
I read on the DISPUTE thread that the company want us to be first letter to last letter = 5 hours. Erm, we are well over that as it is.
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
hear hear. The sector I was on this week had maybe 5/6 posties either off sick or on annual leave. Didn't find anyone to cover rounds. It was decided that rather than do the job I was supposed to be doing, all the mail would be left in and I'd just take the 70+ packets.
Ordinarily 70+ packets and then double mail the day after isn't too hard. Factor in afternoon starts due to covid so waiting hours for a van + posties being off the the week + lack of cover for the rest of the week + lockdown shopping deliveries and you get hell on earth.
Tuesday i took the packets.
Wednesday rammed again with packets and oversized. Get told packets are more important, bring mail back if you have to.
Thursday not as busy but now got triple mail and still a lot of packets. Have to bring mail back.
Friday: 4x mail, each loop containing 5/6 large bundles, not many packets. No vans until 1.30. Brought back one loop.
Today: On a different walk, cleared it, and the final loop from yesterday, which by then amounted to 9 large bundles.
And now I'm on annual leave. Just as well. I need it.
To be fair my manager for the week was dead sound and understanding about it. However I've worked with others who get the arsehole about it for no reason. I tell them if you get a spare van I can complete, but if I'm waiting indefinitely for a van of an afternoon stuff will be brought back, and some managers really don't seem to get that.
Ordinarily 70+ packets and then double mail the day after isn't too hard. Factor in afternoon starts due to covid so waiting hours for a van + posties being off the the week + lack of cover for the rest of the week + lockdown shopping deliveries and you get hell on earth.
Tuesday i took the packets.
Wednesday rammed again with packets and oversized. Get told packets are more important, bring mail back if you have to.
Thursday not as busy but now got triple mail and still a lot of packets. Have to bring mail back.
Friday: 4x mail, each loop containing 5/6 large bundles, not many packets. No vans until 1.30. Brought back one loop.
Today: On a different walk, cleared it, and the final loop from yesterday, which by then amounted to 9 large bundles.
And now I'm on annual leave. Just as well. I need it.
To be fair my manager for the week was dead sound and understanding about it. However I've worked with others who get the arsehole about it for no reason. I tell them if you get a spare van I can complete, but if I'm waiting indefinitely for a van of an afternoon stuff will be brought back, and some managers really don't seem to get that.
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
Agreed. I have seen LWT use far more recently than i ever have before for obvious reasons. However, our delivery office doesn't use HCTs and the trolleys we got are starting to buckle under the weight of the amount of double mail days, parcels etc.ashadd wrote:What happened to using a trolley?
The thick of it is we need more staff. But that's a pipedream.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
Use a trolley. They're awkward, but they are great for the weight. Doesn't matter how heavy the bags are. As for being moved around, no there's nothing you can do. I have my own duty but am regularly moved to cover rural and business duties. Just work your hours. As somebody else mentioned, figure out a time to start focussing on tracked. My time is 14:05, at 13:05 I start taking the tracked out the bags. Avoid putting any tracked items in bundles when you're prepping.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
Pkts still at Christmas levels, D2D's back up to at least 3 a week, junk mail fully recovered from the initial lockdown and now at higher than usual levels thanks to the increase in online shopping... and coming soon, Operation Moonshot delivering hundreds of thousands of test kits every week.
I've always been easy going and willing to go over my time but I've had enough now, I'll be walking out the door at 2 pm from now on.
I've always been easy going and willing to go over my time but I've had enough now, I'll be walking out the door at 2 pm from now on.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
Expect no letter saturdays to be back, ive seen posties out in the dark well past 7 oclock thats got to be dangerous if you fall down and hit your head or attacked you wont be missed until the morning.
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Shocking what's going on.
You need to stand up to bullies (managers) and know the cutting-off procedure inside out. It is their problem but they love to try and put pressure on you.
My favourite argument regularly happens when I'm supposed to know exactly how much I can deliver within a certain timeframe!

My favourite argument regularly happens when I'm supposed to know exactly how much I can deliver within a certain timeframe!