ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RICARD020191962
Posts: 100
Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 13:40
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by RICARD020191962 »

Absolutely none I would respectfully suggest. Not a single customer has ever asked me in all my 20+ years for my bank details in order to transfer money for my Xmas tip. Let's hope I'm right.
RICARD020191962
Posts: 100
Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 13:40
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by RICARD020191962 »

On the contrary, I was hoping that because of our key worker status and the fact that we have soldiered on throughout the pandemic to keep our customers happy that we might just get some additional recognition in the tip department come Xmas. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

In my view very few people give that much of a f**k about us. Or maybe it's just me.

Walk holders! Spare a thought for us poor reserves, the folk who can ruin a years worth of customer goodwill during a single week/fortnight of your annual leave.
Last edited by Sir Henry on 06 Nov 2020, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by blacov »

Reserves are very unlikely to get any tips. if you get £10-20 in total you might consider yourself lucky.
RICARD020191962
Posts: 100
Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 13:40
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by RICARD020191962 »

I've been a reserve and now I'm a duty holder so can see things from both sides. I always look after my day off cover and holiday cover at Xmas. I do very well with tips so it's only fair that they get a share of the pie. Wasn't always the case when I was a reserve but have had some absolutely greedy bastards as colleagues in the past and would hate to be likened to them. We are all doing the same job at the end of the day so I do what I see as fair.
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by ArthurPewty »

blacov wrote:Reserves are very unlikely to get any tips. if you get £10-20 in total you might consider yourself lucky.
and every year the same dilemma, "can you give this £5 to old Bert next time you see him, he always hides my parcels in the bin/shed/dog kennel"

I can't handle the temptation so always tell them to keep hold of it until they see him. If they hand it to me and say "thanks for all your work during the year" then it's straight in the back pocket! :dance
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by HTPostman »

ArthurPewty wrote:
blacov wrote:Reserves are very unlikely to get any tips. if you get £10-20 in total you might consider yourself lucky.
and every year the same dilemma, "can you give this £5 to old Bert next time you see him, he always hides my parcels in the bin/shed/dog kennel"

I can't handle the temptation so always tell them to keep hold of it until they see him. If they hand it to me and say "thanks for all your work during the year" then it's straight in the back pocket! :dance
Likewise, if I’m covering Scrooge’s round (wouldn’t even give me a single chocolate from his tin of roses he got one year!) any tips or gifts that are left out are mine.

Sorry if that’s dishonest but I get nothing but grief from him ‘why didn’t you sign for that special and leave it in the shed, I’ve now gotta redeliver it’ etc.

Anyone else I’ll pass the tip on (while hoping my honesty gets me some of it!).
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by blacov »

HTPostman wrote:
ArthurPewty wrote:
blacov wrote:Reserves are very unlikely to get any tips. if you get £10-20 in total you might consider yourself lucky.
and every year the same dilemma, "can you give this £5 to old Bert next time you see him, he always hides my parcels in the bin/shed/dog kennel"

I can't handle the temptation so always tell them to keep hold of it until they see him. If they hand it to me and say "thanks for all your work during the year" then it's straight in the back pocket! :dance
Likewise, if I’m covering Scrooge’s round (wouldn’t even give me a single chocolate from his tin of roses he got one year!) any tips or gifts that are left out are mine.

Sorry if that’s dishonest but I get nothing but grief from him ‘why didn’t you sign for that special and leave it in the shed, I’ve now gotta redeliver it’ etc.

Anyone else I’ll pass the tip on (while hoping my honesty gets me some of it!).

It get even harder to get anything if you cover absolutely anything within your DO. It's not like you are on rotation and cover a set of walks. I personally do not expect anything and if I get something it's nice but at the end of the day we are all paid to do the job. I do envy those who get quite a lot of gits/money each Xmas but it is what it is.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

With the odd exception I don't begrudge those walk holders that get large amounts of tips at Xmas. Basing this on my own observations over the years, they have probably earned it in the eyes of the customers for all the not strictly best practice favours they do for them regularly. I suppose the likes of myself make the punters appreciate their regular postie more after a week or two of no favours from me.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Christmas Tips

Post by norris9 »

It would be hypocritical of me to criticise a lack of tips as I don't tip my Postie, never have done, neither before I was a Postman or now I am a Postman.

If a Postie at your depot delivers to your house do you tip them? or in general, do any of you Posties tip your Postie?

Is it a bit weird to tip a colleague who works at the same depot?

I think in general I feel weird about tipping, it's like 'here...have a fiver'.... reminds me of when my grandad would give me a few quid when I went round his house. It feels awkward when a grown adult hands another grown adult a few quid. It's less awkward if it is a gift like a bottle of wine, although I'd rather not be gifted wine and I'll have to carry it around the loop with me + I don't even like wine!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:It would be hypocritical of me to criticise a lack of tips as I don't tip my Postie, never have done, neither before I was a Postman or now I am a Postman.

If a Postie at your depot delivers to your house do you tip them? or in general, do any of you Posties tip your Postie?

Is it a bit weird to tip a colleague who works at the same depot?

I think in general I feel weird about tipping, it's like 'here...have a fiver'.... reminds me of when my grandad would give me a few quid when I went round his house. It feels awkward when a grown adult hands another grown adult a few quid. It's less awkward if it is a gift like a bottle of wine, although I'd rather not be gifted wine and I'll have to carry it around the loop with me + I don't even like wine!
My parents give a tip to their regular postie who works at the same DO as me but that may be because I am a postie. They do tip the dustmen as well if they catch them.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Christmas Tips

Post by norris9 »

Tipping a paperboy makes sense as a tenner to them is a lot of money and they probably get paid bugga all.

Tipping grown adults is just odd.