The video doorbell thing is an interesting new issue.
If someone hangs out of their bedroom window and asks you to leave a non signature parcel on the doorstep most of us are going to comply. You would have to be a real jobsworth (or in a really rough area) not to.
But if someone uses their ring doorbell to tell you the exact same thing what are you going to do?
They could be in that same bedroom....
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Ring Doorbell
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
Only dead fish follow the current
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Ring Doorbell
Make the bastards come down for it or collect it from the do it's better than signing on!Woody Guthrie wrote:The video doorbell thing is an interesting new issue.
If someone hangs out of their bedroom window and asks you to leave a non signature parcel on the doorstep most of us are going to comply. You would have to be a real jobsworth (or in a really rough area) not to.
But if someone uses their ring doorbell to tell you the exact same thing what are you going to do?
They could be in that same bedroom....
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
Sounds like proper training.i always thought the way I trained like a lot of guys that started mid 90s was not enough it felt like the basics and get on with it.i started on the Thursday because the guy they took on lasted half the week and the mail bag was slung over a hedge..wallan wrote:Training , started Nov 63 aged 16 ,Mon Morning a walk around the Office with a senior postman , Mon afternoon & the rest of the week working in the Box Counter / Enq Office with a Postal Officer
IPS / OPS Test when i was about 25 as part of the PHG Training
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
I've only ever worked in a MC. When I first started in the early 2000s you had the H&S stuff and a tour of the office so you knew where things were. Then it was basically here's the frame/work area, here's the work, get on with itpostieblueshirt wrote:Sounds like proper training.i always thought the way I trained like a lot of guys that started mid 90s was not enough it felt like the basics and get on with it.i started on the Thursday because the guy they took on lasted half the week and the mail bag was slung over a hedge..wallan wrote:Training , started Nov 63 aged 16 ,Mon Morning a walk around the Office with a senior postman , Mon afternoon & the rest of the week working in the Box Counter / Enq Office with a Postal Officer
IPS / OPS Test when i was about 25 as part of the PHG Training
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Ring Doorbell
Everyone is different we all have different experiences and have dislikes and likes not on twitter but even so I feel I can learn from people on here where I work and in life should anyone on here do so call me for being ignorant or brash with the facts should take a look at themselves. A backbone helps as does attitude you need this with people who spend this much money on a device!
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
A customer once had a fit in front of me, he did sign the book..... after i helped him off the floor.theargyspy wrote:1985
been racking my brain for times I endorsed the orange book DNS
I had this jewish chap who would never sign for anything on a Saturday...no problem DNS in the book and hand the item over
a very sad lady who would answer the door with a brown bag over her head, she wouldn't sign anything...no problem DNS in the book and hand the item over
another one, a disabled bloke in a wheelchair, he had no arms, only hands on his shoulders, he could sign, but had difficulty holding the book...no problem DNS in the book and hand the item over
Obviously if the postman pre/post covid just delivers everything and endorses the PDA with DNS then that is wrong but the world is rarely black and white and our customers (the ones we deliver to) are a real mixture of people and if I have to sign DNS because someone answers the door but refuses to sign for the item (believe me a very rare event) then I'm going to do it, can anyone say I was wrong to do so in my three examples above?
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Ring Doorbell
!. I asked this question of justsayit when I was working in a large Orthodox Jewish community. They said I was to RTS any packet they refused to sign.theargyspy wrote:1985
been racking my brain for times I endorsed the orange book DNS
I had this jewish chap who would never sign for anything on a Saturday...no problem DNS in the book and hand the item over
a very sad lady who would answer the door with a brown bag over her head, she wouldn't sign anything...no problem DNS in the book and hand the item over
another one, a disabled bloke in a wheelchair, he had no arms, only hands on his shoulders, he could sign, but had difficulty holding the book...no problem DNS in the book and hand the item over
Can anyone say I was wrong to do so in my three examples above?
I asked the question again as I was concerned it would be discrimination on religious grounds. They were adamant it was to be RTS.
2.I asked this question of a trainer. They told me I was to 739 the item unless I was sure the person had a disability.
How can I be sure? I'm not a psychiatrist.
3. Fine to sign for a customer with a disability (it is on the PDA training) but not with DNS. If you sign you put your name.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
For reference...
If a customer’s footage of a colleague is uploaded online without consent and you are not happy, please email smartdoorbells@royalmail.com. We can then review the case and involve our Group Legal team where appropriate.
Also...
Key facts:
Smart doorbells start filming when a motion sensor is triggered - this can be up to 10 metres away – and not simply when you press the bell.
Footage can be recorded by the customer.
Assume that you are being recorded when you are within range of the doorbell. Please ensure that you follow our procedures and are polite at all times.
If the householder asks you to do something with their parcel, make sure you follow the business policies:
If a customer’s footage of a colleague is uploaded online without consent and you are not happy, please email smartdoorbells@royalmail.com. We can then review the case and involve our Group Legal team where appropriate.
Also...
Key facts:
Smart doorbells start filming when a motion sensor is triggered - this can be up to 10 metres away – and not simply when you press the bell.
Footage can be recorded by the customer.
Assume that you are being recorded when you are within range of the doorbell. Please ensure that you follow our procedures and are polite at all times.
If the householder asks you to do something with their parcel, make sure you follow the business policies:
- Only leave a parcel if it has a SAFEPLACE instruction on the label.
Don’t deliver signature products without a signature (it is the poster who has paid for the signature).
You can deliver to a suggested neighbour – they are more likely to be in and to accept the package.
If customers are unhappy with what you are able to offer then politely explain that you are following company policies to keep mail secure.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
gimba
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
Ring doorbells
I wear earphones, usually with no music, when they talk through it I ignore them as I'm listening to "music"
Lolololl
I wear earphones, usually with no music, when they talk through it I ignore them as I'm listening to "music"
Lolololl
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
Until I'm instructed otherwise I look at it just like that. A refusal to sign on the part of an able bodied customer is to me a refusal of the packet. I would have no problem returning it endorsed refused. 739 is a "while you were out card"clashcityrocker wrote: !. I asked this question of justsayit when I was working in a large Orthodox Jewish community. They said I was to RTS any packet they refused to sign.
I asked the question again as I was concerned it would be discrimination on religious grounds. They were adamant it was to be RTS.
2.I asked this question of a trainer. They told me I was to 739 the item unless I was sure the person had a disability.
How can I be sure? I'm not a psychiatrist.
3. Fine to sign for a customer with a disability (it is on the PDA training) but not with DNS. If you sign you put your name.
I am not prepared to be accused of theft from a customer who receives a parcel without signing for it and then denies receipt of it.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Ring Doorbell
1. Customers are not signing for anything at the moment.I am not prepared to be accused of theft from a customer who receives a parcel without signing for it and then denies receipt of it.
2. A fraudulent denial of receipt by its very nature means the customer is dishonest. What would stop them from denying it was their signature?
You place far too much faith in a squiggle on a PDA, it proves your innocence no more than a doorstep scan.
Only dead fish follow the current