ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you enjoy your work?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hatter68
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by hatter68 »

[quote="summersunshine"]Well after 42 years I'm off...had enough...weeks notice going in tomorrow...the van sharing was the last straw. Whether it gets overturned or not will not affect my decision. Am too old for all this crap, baby managers who haven't got a clue, all arse lickers looking out for themselves. I'm too bloody old to be putting mine and my elderly, vulnerable, relatives health at risk, the continuous catch up of the backlog, delivering in all weathers, going into offices and shops with people wearing mask as chin warmers and me with only a hand sanitizer and a sodden wet mask as my shields of armour.
EVR has been the dangled carrot for last few years...but as people are leaving in droves, we are short staffed...baby boss said maybe next year?? Aye lad, and maybe next year you'll have grown a pair!!
Eighteen months from retirement age, eighteen months of who knows what may happen??
I'd like to say it's been a real pleasure working for Royal Mail...but it hasn't, in the last 20 years it has gone downhill rapidly and dragged our morale down with it. Life's too short, and mine is getting shorter every day :wave :wave[/quoC

Congratulations hope you have a wonderful retirement.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Working for Royal Mail is easy. It is like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire & the ground is on fire & everything is on fire because it is hell.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:Working for Royal Mail is easy. It is like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire & the ground is on fire & everything is on fire because it is hell.
Ha Ha Very Good. :Applause I'll have to remember that one. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by Jpro747 »

Happy retirement summersunshine... wow 42 years :shock: I’m only 8 years in and want out already :thumbdown
HA1
Posts: 75
Joined: 28 Mar 2020, 16:15
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by HA1 »

Jpro747 wrote:Happy retirement summersunshine... wow 42 years :shock: I’m only 8 years in and want out already :thumbdown

If you want out leave, but you won’t and you will still be on here 10 years from now still bitching about the company.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by P13 »

HA1 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:Happy retirement summersunshine... wow 42 years :shock: I’m only 8 years in and want out already :thumbdown

If you want out leave, but you won’t and you will still be on here 10 years from now still bitching about the company.
And you will still be here boring people with your nonsense posts
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by aiden01 »

P13 wrote:
HA1 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:Happy retirement summersunshine... wow 42 years :shock: I’m only 8 years in and want out already :thumbdown

If you want out leave, but you won’t and you will still be on here 10 years from now still bitching about the company.
And you will still be here boring people with your nonsense posts
:Very Happy :Very Happy
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by grandypants »

Well its been 2 months since I went and apart from this virus ( which both myself and the wife are getting over ) life is great, no more trudging the streets, plenty of fishing and just bought a motorhome, what more can I ask for :dance :dance :dance
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by POSTMAN »

HA1 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:Happy retirement summersunshine... wow 42 years :shock: I’m only 8 years in and want out already :thumbdown

If you want out leave, but you won’t and you will still be on here 10 years from now still bitching about the company.
Seriously, why would you say that, and looking at your other posts.....why?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by rambo1 »

PostiewithaPorsche wrote:Does anyone else enjoy being a postman. lot of the comments ive read seem to say that its a s**t job, but since the time ive been there ive really enjoyed it.
my DOM is pretty good as far as managers go, you can actually have a proper conversation without feeling like an underling. everyone in the office has been nothing but friendy. and walking tbh is not that hard if you just get on with it and dont moan every 2 mins, finished before 2 most days and before 1 on a saturday

just wondering if anyone else enjoys their job.
If I finished before 2pm and 1pm on Saturday, I'd enjoy it a bit more than my normal 4-5pm weekday and rush to get back for collection going at 4pm on Saturday. Enjoy the banter in the morning, don't enjoy bullying managers, don't enjoy the feeling they are constantly tracking your every move on the actuals, don't enjoy having to fight every other week to get the 37mins or whatever other random number of minutes overtime they didn't pay you from the week before. Don't enjoy snow much, don't enjoy 30degrees much, don't enjoy heavy rain much. Luckily most of that is pretty rare. Enjoy the people on my walk and the respect I get from them. All in all, was a much easier job 15 -20 yrs ago , mentally and physically but still not too bad for the money.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by aiden01 »

POSTMAN wrote:
HA1 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:Happy retirement summersunshine... wow 42 years :shock: I’m only 8 years in and want out already :thumbdown

If you want out leave, but you won’t and you will still be on here 10 years from now still bitching about the company.
Seriously, why would you say that, and looking at your other posts.....why?
Likes to wind people up.. time for a ban maybe??
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by fly-catchers »

grandypants wrote:Well its been 2 months since I went and apart from this virus ( which both myself and the wife are getting over ) life is great, no more trudging the streets, plenty of fishing and just bought a motorhome, what more can I ask for :dance :dance :dance
Hope you both are fully recovered and don't have any long term effects.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by k979aaa »

grandypants wrote:Well its been 2 months since I went and apart from this virus ( which both myself and the wife are getting over ) life is great, no more trudging the streets, plenty of fishing and just bought a motorhome, what more can I ask for :dance :dance :dance
Well good luck all best hope you and Mrs get over the virus soon and happy fishing times.
hatter68
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your work?

Post by hatter68 »

[quote="grandypants"]Well its been 2 months since I went and apart from this virus ( which both myself and the wife are getting over ) life is great, no more trudging the streets, plenty of fishing and just bought a motorhome, what more can I ask for :dance :dance :dance[/quote

Good to hear that's just how i want to spend my time when i eventually retire.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Do you enjoy your work?

Post by cpsteve »

dubdaz wrote:I still love the job even with the way its changed over the years(23),I do my 8hr day with a smile most of the time.First 4 full of funny as f**k banter on the ips and prep and then the last 4 hitting the streets and chatting with my punters.Then again I dont let what the lino's do or say effect me and they know it, so dont bother me.I think alot (not all) postman who winge about the job only do it because they cant get over doing a full 8 hr day and want it back to how it used to be.If you accept your not gonna make any time so pace yourself accordingly you find you dont get nearly so stressed about the job.
Well done im in your camp, i think part time workers are the ones who are being put under pressure from managers and fellow posties, the guys n girls like us dont get the pressure because it wont wash with us.