ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Massive Xmas Failure.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by toonshola »

yubin282 wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
yubin282 wrote:
edward918 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.
It’s because they have been getting away with not paying part timers correct holiday pay for years, now they are getting rumbled for that the current system doesn’t look like making much sense anymore. Haven’t even heard if they are marking people upto full time for Xmas this year up here. I don’t think they will be getting any extra out of people if they don’t.
ive always though the CWU should pushing for it

They should be but I think over the years the Cwu have shown they don’t give a damn about the part timers. One of the reasons after 10 years I cancelled my membership last week.
bunji
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Feb 2019, 14:44
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by bunji »

HTPostman wrote:I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.

As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
No such thing as seniority ladder - illegal
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by HTPostman »

bunji wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.

As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
No such thing as seniority ladder - illegal
I’ll put it another way, I have very little seniority so IF Royal Mail at some point cut jobs on a last in first out basis I’m right in the firing line.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by HTPostman »

toonshola wrote:
yubin282 wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
yubin282 wrote:
edward918 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.
It’s because they have been getting away with not paying part timers correct holiday pay for years, now they are getting rumbled for that the current system doesn’t look like making much sense anymore. Haven’t even heard if they are marking people upto full time for Xmas this year up here. I don’t think they will be getting any extra out of people if they don’t.
ive always though the CWU should pushing for it

They should be but I think over the years the Cwu have shown they don’t give a damn about the part timers. One of the reasons after 10 years I cancelled my membership last week.
It’s a strange stance from the union, surely they realise the PT workforce is increasing and the FT numbers decreasing - all that will happen is in 10 years time there’ll be a predominately PT workforce who don’t think the union stand up for them and membership will dwindle.

As for making contracts up to 35 hours I think it’s a great idea, and I know I’m on my own here but I’d be willing to come to an agreement over the backdated holiday pay I’m owed - let’s say 50%, plus made up to full time (which I work anyway)...oh and throw some stamps in. Win win for RM as they don’t have to pay out as much, less office hours spent calculating my hours on inputting things, and I’m happy as I no longer have to faff about sorting my OT every day and get paid correctly when I’m on holiday.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by Munchboii »

So its looking like we will have a 2nd UK wide lockdown by this time next month.

If any of you were on postbox collections during the first lockdown you will remember how busy they were. Mine were busier ive seen in years and other people in the office stating the same. Many people sending letters to relatives and friends checking up. And also to pass the time!

I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored.

Im not complaining, I think this will be a good thing. But I hope that Royal Mail may realise this and plan ahead in regard to anticipating the demand. The last thing we want is to be still delivering christmas cards in 2021!
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Munchboii wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored. !
The way things are going in the country at the moment come Xmas time it will be only the rich who can afford the price of a stamp.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by k979aaa »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
Munchboii wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored. !
The way things are going in the country at the moment come Xmas time it will be only the rich who can afford the price of a stamp.
And Bog Roll
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Munchboii wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored.
If Xmas cards do end up being that busy then DOs better hope that both MCs and MPUs are allowed to roll over into the next any any cards they don't have the capacity to sequence (or at least walk sort)
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by 2yearpostie »

Even i think its going to end up in a s**t show..
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by clashcityrocker »

SpacePhoenix wrote: DOs better hope that both MCs and MPUs are allowed to roll over into the next any any cards they don't have the capacity to sequence.
Roll over into the next what?
Year?
Xmas?
Decade?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by Acca Dacca »

clashcityrocker wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote: DOs better hope that both MCs and MPUs are allowed to roll over into the next any any cards they don't have the capacity to sequence.
Roll over into the next what?
Year?
Xmas?
Decade?
'weve just had a xmas card from Uncle Frank - I thought he died in February?!? :shock: '
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
kingdazzler
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 13:29
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by kingdazzler »

I got a letter from my DOM today saying that for the 5 weeks up to Christmas i will be expected to be able to work anytime in-between 0600 - 2100.Mon to Sat. Reasons given as shortage of vans and PDA'S, extra Christmas traffic and of course Covid. WTF. Anybody else had the same?
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by elteleltel »

Given the failures in my office right now we've no chance in Nov/Dec to clear ...lucky to get all the parcels done without any letters
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by 2yearpostie »

kingdazzler wrote:I got a letter from my DOM today saying that for the 5 weeks up to Christmas i will be expected to be able to work anytime in-between 0600 - 2100.Mon to Sat. Reasons given as shortage of vans and PDA'S, extra Christmas traffic and of course Covid. WTF. Anybody else had the same?
nope not yet, must be a local issue
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Massive Xmas Failure.

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

kingdazzler wrote:I got a letter from my DOM today saying that for the 5 weeks up to Christmas i will be expected to be able to work anytime in-between 0600 - 2100.Mon to Sat. Reasons given as shortage of vans and PDA'S, extra Christmas traffic and of course Covid. WTF. Anybody else had the same?
Are you f/t or p/t? The letter must be them serving 28 days notice of a variation of hours, Union should be all over this but don’t hold your breath.