I agree after 10 years rural floater and 8 or so on my own rural I got fed up stop start in and out van so went back to my roots and I'm on park and loop its crap but I get to do a bit of walking.rambo1 wrote:I don't know why it is people think rurals are easy. Yes you're you're own boss to an extent but most of ours are longer than the town walks.chocolatesaltyballs wrote:I do one occasionally when they can't get it covered which is 400+ delivery points spread over 80+ miles and takes about 7hrs on an average day.
edit: hope I didn't shatter your dreams.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
A *proper* rural
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
A *proper* rural
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
A *proper* rural
I find rurals more mentally tiring. Constantly having to turn round in right farm yards with dogs running by the wheels, strange delivery points (eg a 100 ft hedge with a 30cm gap that you can’t possibly see unless you’ve been shown. Plus getting in and out of the van does my back in after a while.
There’s a lot of rurals here, the most obvious one is 50 miles with 300 calls. I like it (apart from when I breakdown) but there’s little difference between a busy day and a quiet day - maybe 20 minutes in it.
I’m in a good position atm floating doing a mix of trolley rounds, park and loops (single van obviously) and rurals. It’s really helping me learn the area and I don’t get bored.
There’s a lot of rurals here, the most obvious one is 50 miles with 300 calls. I like it (apart from when I breakdown) but there’s little difference between a busy day and a quiet day - maybe 20 minutes in it.
I’m in a good position atm floating doing a mix of trolley rounds, park and loops (single van obviously) and rurals. It’s really helping me learn the area and I don’t get bored.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
A *proper* rural
That's probably where the LAT system will fall down in rural areas where the LAT staff won't know about things like thatHTPostman wrote:strange delivery points (eg a 100 ft hedge with a 30cm gap that you can’t possibly see unless you’ve been shown.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
A *proper* rural
Yep, it’s interesting the next day seeing the LAT parcels that are returned because the LAT driver couldn’t find them.SpacePhoenix wrote:That's probably where the LAT system will fall down in rural areas where the LAT staff won't know about things like thatHTPostman wrote:strange delivery points (eg a 100 ft hedge with a 30cm gap that you can’t possibly see unless you’ve been shown.
It’s always the same - either names houses with no names on them (or if there is a house name it’s faded in the sun or covered by a bush). Or addresses where you leave the post in a crate or open the kitchen door etc.
You’d think after one ‘inaccessible’ parcel buyers would make it a bit easier for both RM and other couriers by getting a sign.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
A *proper* rural
It's funny but even when I first started all the time I delivered to out of the way no name cottages in the middle of nowhere I always thought to myself theres no way this pays ie making money from delivering to them.the wear n tare the fuel cost for a private business it's a no go.
-
amstocks
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 16 Feb 2020, 16:58
- Gender: Male
A *proper* rural
I do a rural round near Oban. Has 275 stops and covers around 50 miles. Usually takes around 6 hours away from DO. I think it's a great round but have had a couple of breakdowns which isn't much fun. Lots of great views but don't have time to appreciate them most days