ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Massive Xmas Failure.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
exactly my POV.HTPostman wrote:I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
Prefer working alone on my terms. I love my colleagues. I do. But it gets a bit boring when they're all like 'it's my way or the highway' and so you try it one person's way and the next day you're with someone else and getting aggro again.
The only aggro I get from working alone is the missorts if im on afternoon duty.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Massive Xmas Failure.
Everyone does the job differently people look at me when I say this in my office the more people you work with the more confusing it gets work with one person it usually works out 99.99% of the time.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
When parcels and Tracked ramp up more nearer Xmas you'd probably find that it will be physically impossible to fit 2 walks worth of work into a single van anyway
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
That’s fair enough, grab the money whilst you can. I can’t see the afternoon shift working for much longer up here, people have had enough and are handing back when their time is up.HTPostman wrote:As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Massive Xmas Failure.
I’m not too sure how it’s going to work.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:That’s fair enough, grab the money whilst you can. I can’t see the afternoon shift working for much longer up here, people have had enough and are handing back when their time is up.HTPostman wrote:As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
Van availability at 2 pm onLy leaves 2.5 hours of daylight in December.
Parcel delivery maybe ok but not delivering letters in the dark.
Maybe concentrate on delivering letters only until dark then parcels?
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
Plus, who's back at 2pm in November and December?iHateD2Ds wrote:I’m not too sure how it’s going to work.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:That’s fair enough, grab the money whilst you can. I can’t see the afternoon shift working for much longer up here, people have had enough and are handing back when their time is up.HTPostman wrote:As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
Van availability at 2 pm onLy leaves 2.5 hours of daylight in December.
Parcel delivery maybe ok but not delivering letters in the dark.
Maybe concentrate on delivering letters only until dark then parcels?
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
[quote="HTPostman"
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.[/quote]
I wouldnt start rumours like that on here...

As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.[/quote]
I wouldnt start rumours like that on here...
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
2yearpostie wrote:[quote="HTPostman"
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
I wouldnt start rumours like that on here...
The rumour came from a line manager, she said it’s one of the avenues they are looking at. We will see, I hope not.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
Most of the time I can understand my fellow workers systems but there’s some I just can’t get my head round their methods, things like where to put parcels on top of the frame. One guy puts street names A to D on top of column 1, street names E to H on top of column 2 etc, drives me mad.xPandabear1992x wrote:exactly my POV.HTPostman wrote:I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.
Prefer working alone on my terms. I love my colleagues. I do. But it gets a bit boring when they're all like 'it's my way or the highway' and so you try it one person's way and the next day you're with someone else and getting aggro again.
The only aggro I get from working alone is the missorts if im on afternoon duty.
I worked with another last November who refuses to do a parcel list, even when I said I’d do a list he told me not to. I went there on the early shift there with a parcel, then when we started the round did the specials first and went to the same address, later it was on my loop and I went there with a letter, then went there with an oversized parcel....4 visits in 1 day. Once up the garden path right?
And don’t get me started on those who bundle 2 parcels together but 1 of the barcodes facing in.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
edward918
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Do the job as prescribed in the hours given by the company. Goodwill has long gone.
I agree 100%. The more people who just simply work their contracted hours, take their breaks and go home, the bigger the message that will get across to Managers/Senior Management that things need to change and that the workload now, let alone at Christmas time can barely, if not at all be completed within contracted hours. How about instead of occasional overtime, we get more contracted hours? It's that simple!
The more people continue to work for free as in coming in way before their actual start time, not taking a PAID for break and letting Management emotionally blackmail them into doing overtime (which is completely voluntary for those who don't know), the heavier the workload. Oh, and to top things off: Management get a lovely little end of year bonus for saving hours at the expense of us exhausting ourselves.
So PLEASE people, for the sake of changing things for the better in this company:
Work your contracted hours, take your paid for breaks, go home.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.edward918 wrote:Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Do the job as prescribed in the hours given by the company. Goodwill has long gone.
I agree 100%. The more people who just simply work their contracted hours, take their breaks and go home, the bigger the message that will get across to Managers/Senior Management that things need to change and that the workload now, let alone at Christmas time can barely, if not at all be completed within contracted hours. How about instead of occasional overtime, we get more contracted hours? It's that simple!
The more people continue to work for free as in coming in way before their actual start time, not taking a PAID for break and letting Management emotionally blackmail them into doing overtime (which is completely voluntary for those who don't know), the heavier the workload. Oh, and to top things off: Management get a lovely little end of year bonus for saving hours at the expense of us exhausting ourselves.
So PLEASE people, for the sake of changing things for the better in this company:
Work your contracted hours, take your paid for breaks, go home.
-
toonshola
- Posts: 917
- Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
I always wonder this myself. Not great at maths so not sure how it would all add up but surely everyone on 35 hours would be much easier for managers to get all the work covered. Most us part timers work pretty much full time anyway. Would cut down on the little overtime deals people get like being paid 3 hours for 1 hours work etc.yubin282 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.edward918 wrote:Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Do the job as prescribed in the hours given by the company. Goodwill has long gone.
I agree 100%. The more people who just simply work their contracted hours, take their breaks and go home, the bigger the message that will get across to Managers/Senior Management that things need to change and that the workload now, let alone at Christmas time can barely, if not at all be completed within contracted hours. How about instead of occasional overtime, we get more contracted hours? It's that simple!
The more people continue to work for free as in coming in way before their actual start time, not taking a PAID for break and letting Management emotionally blackmail them into doing overtime (which is completely voluntary for those who don't know), the heavier the workload. Oh, and to top things off: Management get a lovely little end of year bonus for saving hours at the expense of us exhausting ourselves.
So PLEASE people, for the sake of changing things for the better in this company:
Work your contracted hours, take your paid for breaks, go home.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
It’s because they have been getting away with not paying part timers correct holiday pay for years, now they are getting rumbled for that the current system doesn’t look like making much sense anymore. Haven’t even heard if they are marking people upto full time for Xmas this year up here. I don’t think they will be getting any extra out of people if they don’t.yubin282 wrote:edward918 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Massive Xmas Failure.
ive always though the CWU should pushing for itGrumpyoldmailman wrote:It’s because they have been getting away with not paying part timers correct holiday pay for years, now they are getting rumbled for that the current system doesn’t look like making much sense anymore. Haven’t even heard if they are marking people upto full time for Xmas this year up here. I don’t think they will be getting any extra out of people if they don’t.yubin282 wrote:edward918 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.