ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

1pm Starts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dazdec197296
Posts: 16
Joined: 04 Aug 2019, 19:21
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by Dazdec197296 »

I’m a part timer on a 30 hour contract and when I started saying that I wanted to work my contracted hours (8.30am-2.30pm) and not do any more late shifts I was threatened with them giving me 28 days notice to changing my contract. Can they do this?
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by Sir Henry »

They would have to be able to justify that action. If it is only yourself and no other 30 hour peeps then that would be victimisation. What does your office rep say ?
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Dazdec197296 wrote:I’m a part timer on a 30 hour contract and when I started saying that I wanted to work my contracted hours (8.30am-2.30pm) and not do any more late shifts I was threatened with them giving me 28 days notice to changing my contract. Can they do this?
They are bluffing you. There is a lot of unrest up here at the moment between the people being asked to start at 1pm, afew who have been doing it month after month have voted with their feet and quit. It’s more to do with saving money on van rental than it is to do with social distancing now in my opinion.
josetork
Posts: 14
Joined: 04 Nov 2019, 05:48
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by josetork »

Yeah this has happened to me. I’m Part Time. I have spent the six months of COVID working the first three months from 11.30 and the second three months from 0700. A couple of weeks ago I approached my Manager and told them that I needed to go back to my 9/9.20am starts as my three kids - for whom I am the main parent/carer as my wife works full time and funny shifts etc - are going back to school.

I was basically told I had three options a) use my own car to follow someone else around in (b) come in at 11.30 (c) be given 28 days notice of a change of contract stating that my working hours are anything between 7am and 7pm!

Not really great choices when you have children to take to and pick from school etc but I went for option (b) come in at 11.30. My 12 year old is now picking my ten year old up from school and they’re home alone until I get home which so far has been around 5pm. Not sure what the plan will be come Xmas..last year I was working two hours over everyday to clear, can’t do that this year and be leaving my kids home alone until 7,8 o’clock..

I’m sure those not in my position will be quick to point out that at least I have a job etc, which of course I am grateful for, but still feel pretty p***** off and powerless. To the best of my knowledge there are only two of us Part Timers who are in this position. The other has opted to follow someone else around in her own car as her kids are a bit younger than mine so I guess she really hasn’t got any other choice.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by 2yearpostie »

I feel for you mate, this is exactly what all the part timers in my unit were threatened with a few weeks ago, but i was called a liar on here as no one believed that the bosses would stoop to this,so i get bullied at work and now on here for trying to give everyone a heads up on what was coming.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by mickeymacca »

Sir Henry wrote:They would have to be able to justify that action. If it is only yourself and no other 30 hour peeps then that would be victimisation. What does your office rep say ?


How would that play out Sir Henry? would a grievance be the best route to take?and would it be effective
regards
'Libraries gave us power'
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

1pm Starts

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Bobbyh wrote:I’m pretty sure it would be against H&S rules delivering mail in the dark.
Ive still got one of these

Image

Image

I think they may make a comeback Covid or not.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by POSTMAN »

clashcityrocker wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
Joe B wrote:Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a statement which states about the change to start times being voluntary. Thank you
Are you referring to the start time changes that were brought in due to Coronavirus? If so it's in Rico's letter linked in this CWU LTB:

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=95804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That letter refers to changes due to the suspension of the USO.
I don't think it follows that it applies to changes necessary to ensure social distancing.
Without reading every fecking thing again, regarding messing people about...

The letter from Rico Back also makes it clear that any duty changes will be voluntary,
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Joe B
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by Joe B »

clashcityrocker wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
Joe B wrote:Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a statement which states about the change to start times being voluntary. Thank you
Are you referring to the start time changes that were brought in due to Coronavirus? If so it's in Rico's letter linked in this CWU LTB:

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=95804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That letter refers to changes due to the suspension of the USO.
I don't think it follows that it applies to changes necessary to ensure social distancing.
Hi, thanks for the link :thumbup
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

1pm Starts

Post by clashcityrocker »

POSTMAN wrote:
The letter from Rico Back also makes it clear that any duty changes will be voluntary,
There will be no imposed duty changes connected with this temporary relaxation of
the USO. Any changes to these duty structures will be voluntary and must be
agreed locally, utilising the IR Framework


It makes it clear that there will be no imposed duty changes connected to the temporary relaxation of the USO.
Nothing more.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by Sir Henry »

mickeymacca wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:They would have to be able to justify that action. If it is only yourself and no other 30 hour peeps then that would be victimisation. What does your office rep say ?


How would that play out Sir Henry? would a grievance be the best route to take?and would it be effective
regards

Let your rep sort it out. If your rep isn't up to the job (and many aren't, let's face it) get in touch with Area, explain why you're bothering them not the office rep and get Area to tear the Screw in question a new soil pipe.
Grievances get buried on purpose to give them time to work on you, an Area rep going apeshit on them is more immediate and less to their liking. THEN bang in a grievance if you still feel that it might do some good.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

1pm Starts

Post by Celgar »

bunji wrote:I thought the point was to socially distance
Yes that is point of it. Likely there is also a hidden agenda on the part of RM to save money by having early and late shifts.

Its usually the newer posties that get lumbered with coming in later eg 1000 instead of 0624. Some posties don't mind coming in later because they can then get out of bed later.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.