ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Well paid yes or no?
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Well paid yes or no?
Why you wish him that?
He`s on 25 hours contract, 14 hours OT /week take him up to full pay, why do you see it as a big deal?
He`s on 25 hours contract, 14 hours OT /week take him up to full pay, why do you see it as a big deal?
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
I agree With you thirty years ago I thought the same now my knees are shot and will need a hip replacement in the next couple of years .so the pay is poor for the wear and tear on your health and don’t expect any sympathy from management when your health is f****dderekm wrote:The pay is ok similar to my last job but the option of working outside and the finishing times swayed me too it, but the toll it’s taking on my body these days makes me think differently
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
Probably just coming in for prep which will take them to full hours then it's only an hour on the end Monday to Fridaygrchpo wrote:How can you do 19 hours overtime & we are not allowed to book any, change might be coming for you, back to basic pay.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Well paid yes or no?
Too simplistic. So much depends on people's personal circumstances, namely family life, where they live, what sort of home they choose to live in etc. A postie who's single and lives in a council flat in the dog-end of Glasgow is going to be more "financially comfortable" than a divorced father of two who lives and works in Guildford.sindba wrote:Simple way to answer this question.
Ask yourself if your job makes you financially comfortable. If Yes, it's well paid. If No, it's not.
-
TheoF95
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 20 Jan 2019, 10:07
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
HTPostman wrote:I’m on a 25 hour contract, over the last year I’ve averaged 44 hours (19 hours OT a week). Including Covid/Xmas bonus and the claim I put in for holiday pay that’s £27k.mags999 wrote:you must of done 10 or more hours over time a week to get 27 grand that takes some doin on delivery
I usually work my day off and most days I’m happy to do OT. My only rules are I don’t work for free so no starting before my time, I don’t work Sunday (I have been asked a few times) and I don’t work my holidays, I think it’s a disgrace some people do and management let them but each to their own.
Same here, I am on a 25 hour contract and last year i earned £26k after pension deductions. Work 6 days a week and claim FT most days with some extra delivery. OT always available, i could have got more.
-
pex
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
I'm part time London based and over 60 years old, with overtime earned £33K + last year and this year I am on target to earn £35k+. None of the younger PT people i work with want extra hours, they would prefer to doze on the sofa or play a computer game in the afternoon. The majority of staff want minimal extra work or easy work only, hence the opportunity for OT in my office. You can work the callers office or collections if more walking is a struggle.I took the job a few years ago to get some exercise rather than go to a gym and struggled at first but have got used to the pace.
Lucky the management are OK and pay for all the work done without fuss so I think the pay is OK.
Regards working annual leave, it has to be taken in our office, no one works it.
Lucky the management are OK and pay for all the work done without fuss so I think the pay is OK.
Regards working annual leave, it has to be taken in our office, no one works it.
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
I can confirm. Adding greater London weighting and with a bit of overtime 31k-32k is very realistic. OT availability varies across offices and are subject to DOM generosity often. I am FT and I pick up some OT if available some days instead of watching netflix and this financial year so far I made 13.7k gross.pex wrote:I'm part time London based and over 60 years old, with overtime earned £33K + last year and this year I am on target to earn £35k+. None of the younger PT people i work with want extra hours, they would prefer to doze on the sofa or play a computer game in the afternoon. The majority of staff want minimal extra work or easy work only, hence the opportunity for OT in my office. You can work the callers office or collections if more walking is a struggle.I took the job a few years ago to get some exercise rather than go to a gym and struggled at first but have got used to the pace.
Lucky the management are OK and pay for all the work done without fuss so I think the pay is OK.
Regards working annual leave, it has to be taken in our office, no one works it.
However given how expensive properties are in London and ever increasing day to day expenses I do not think this is very well paid job. We should rather class lower paid jobs as some sort of handout really. £12 ph in London is not the same as £12 ph in North West England. If our partners do not provide similar level of income or higher getting on a porperty ladder will be very difficult.Younger generation will never be in similar financial position our older colleague are. For many of us in London renting is the only option for many years and unfortunately RM does not really offer full time vacancies anymore so a transfer to a cheaper area although possible will almost certainly result in losing full time hours. Depending heavily on Overtime to top up hours can be very risky in medium to long term.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
Oh I’ve no doubt changes are coming. That’s why I made a plan, and I’m sticking to it. In short if for my remaining 10 years at RM I only do my contracted 25 hours I’ll be fine.grchpo wrote:How can you do 19 hours overtime & we are not allowed to book any, change might be coming for you, back to basic pay.
But in the meantime I’ll take what’s on offer.
Every office is different- in 2019 I was asked to work 45 of my 46 days off. 40% of the hours in my office have to be done through overtime.
Sorry if you resent me for it but if it’s available then I’m not turning it down while I’m young, fit and healthy. As before I start on time, don’t do ghost OT, take my breaks, don’t rush round.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
That’s right. I’m made up to full time hours for prep, I work most days off and I’m always available to do extra at the end be it tracked parcels or (pre Covid) where someone has cut off.Tinoblade wrote:Probably just coming in for prep which will take them to full hours then it's only an hour on the end Monday to Fridaygrchpo wrote:How can you do 19 hours overtime & we are not allowed to book any, change might be coming for you, back to basic pay.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
I’m getting on average 5 hours a week extra than FT, purely because I work most days off, am always available to do extra and I have this mad system whereby I only ask to be paid OT for the work I do - if I do 2 hours OT I ask for 2 hours. Some of the ‘former’ OT kings despise me for it as they were used to doing 2 hours but demanding 4 etc. I just see it as doing the work I’m paid for and nothing more. Take my breaks, don’t come in early, don’t rush round.Janet Brum wrote:Why you wish him that?
He`s on 25 hours contract, 14 hours OT /week take him up to full pay, why do you see it as a big deal?
As I said to the guy above, 40% of our office hours have to be done on OT. While it’s available I’ll take it.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Kodal
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
panzer4 wrote:I agree With you thirty years ago I thought the same now my knees are shot and will need a hip replacement in the next couple of years .so the pay is poor for the wear and tear on your health and don’t expect any sympathy from management when your health is f****dderekm wrote:The pay is ok similar to my last job but the option of working outside and the finishing times swayed me too it, but the toll it’s taking on my body these days makes me think differently
Agree with both posts,
I thought the 35 hour week was being looked at as to take the wear and tear off our bodies.
But Royal Mail seems to given up on that.
35 hours is now looked at as full time.
Automation should make Royal Mail vast savings, but will they pass that on to the work-force as in reduced hours or take the entire profits for share holders???
With reduced sorting time that means more walking time.
This is a young mans job now.
The management go through the motions on the sick stages, As it is to much hassle not to.Unless you chums.Regardless of your work ethic.
-
kempy
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 20 Jul 2013, 03:44
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
I'M GOING TO GIVE A SLIGHTLY MORE POSITIVE VIEW ON A FORTY YEAR CAREER WITH ROYAL MAIL. WAS TOLD AT THE OFFSET THAT I'D HAVE A JOB FOR LIFE.WOULD PAY MY MORTGAGE OFF.THAT I'D NEED TO COMMIT A HENIOUS CRIME TO GET FIRED. WENT THROUGH TWO YEARS AS A WALK POSTMAN,THEN ON TO BE A P.H.G. MANY YEARS PUTTING IN AT LEAST 25-30 OVERTIME A WEEK AND I WAS AT THE LOWER END OF THE BUNCING PHENOMONOM. THEN SPENT MANY YEARS ON T.P.O BEFORE THE POWERS THAT BE [QUITE RIGHTLY.BUT ANNOYINGLY] DECIDED THAT IT WAS FAR TOO COSTLY TO RUN.SO BACK INTO THE OFFICE WHERE A CUSHY LITTLE NUMBER IN THE BENEFITS AGENCY AROSE AND MORE YEARS OFF THE FLOOR WERE SPENT. GOOD THINGS CAME TO AN END SO IT WAS DECISION TIME.TWENTY YEARS AGO GOT DIVORCED,BOUGHT ANOTHER HOUSE,HAPPILY LIVING A SINGLE LIFE WHILST BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP,DECIDED TO TAKE A PORTION OF MY PENSION WHEN I TURNED 55,PAID OFF MY MORTGAGE,STOPPED DOING OVERTIME. ALTHOUGH KNOWING I WOULD LOSE A PERCENTAGE OF MY PENSION I WOULD BE RECIEVING AN AVERAGE SIX GRAND A YEAR SO NOT REALLY LOSING AT ALL.FIFTEEN MONTHS AGO I VOLUNTARILY DECIDED TO CUT MY HOURS DOWN TO 16 A WEEK [TWO NIGHT SHIFTS] THIS GIVES ME £230 IN MY BACK POCKET. I ALSO TAKE MOST OF MY LEAVE IN THE SUMMER WHICH MAKES IT A SIX DAY WEEKEND INSTEAD OF FIVE DAY WEEKEND. I'LL BE 66 IN FEBRUARY AND THE FINAL DECISION WILL HAVE TO BE MADE, RETIRE WITH ALL THE MAINLY HAPPY MEMORIES, 0R PERHAPS THE NEW MANAGEMENT WILL HAVE DECIDED. EITHER WAY I'M FINANCIALLY SECURE AND WILL ACCEPT EITHER WITH GOOD GRACE.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
I would say the job is reasonably paid for the job we do but not well paid. Our competitors are obviously poorly paid and we shouldn't be going in that direction. The problems are going to come with the shift from less indoor work to more outdoor delivery. We have had experience of how wearying this is during the virus situation when we have been doing more delivery rather than IPS. This will be more of a situation for staff over 50 in terms of toilet breaks and also the physical toll & general exhaustion. The two recent deaths have highlighted this and we were given a sheet the other day about business premises legal obligation to let us use their toilet facilities. Not all walks will have business premises on them of course.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
What a great first post, I enjoyed reading that Kempy. I share a very similar philosophy to yourself, I 'work to live' rather than the other way round. I fully understand most people are under constraints to have to work many hours a week because of family commitments, but would thoroughly recommend this alternative approach. Be interesting to see if the last 6 months will see people appraise they way they have been living their life and make better work/life choices (if finances allow).kempy wrote:I'M GOING TO GIVE A SLIGHTLY MORE POSITIVE VIEW ON A FORTY YEAR CAREER WITH ROYAL MAIL. WAS TOLD AT THE OFFSET THAT I'D HAVE A JOB FOR LIFE.WOULD PAY MY MORTGAGE OFF.THAT I'D NEED TO COMMIT A HENIOUS CRIME TO GET FIRED. WENT THROUGH TWO YEARS AS A WALK POSTMAN,THEN ON TO BE A P.H.G. MANY YEARS PUTTING IN AT LEAST 25-30 OVERTIME A WEEK AND I WAS AT THE LOWER END OF THE BUNCING PHENOMONOM. THEN SPENT MANY YEARS ON T.P.O BEFORE THE POWERS THAT BE [QUITE RIGHTLY.BUT ANNOYINGLY] DECIDED THAT IT WAS FAR TOO COSTLY TO RUN.SO BACK INTO THE OFFICE WHERE A CUSHY LITTLE NUMBER IN THE BENEFITS AGENCY AROSE AND MORE YEARS OFF THE FLOOR WERE SPENT. GOOD THINGS CAME TO AN END SO IT WAS DECISION TIME.TWENTY YEARS AGO GOT DIVORCED,BOUGHT ANOTHER HOUSE,HAPPILY LIVING A SINGLE LIFE WHILST BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP,DECIDED TO TAKE A PORTION OF MY PENSION WHEN I TURNED 55,PAID OFF MY MORTGAGE,STOPPED DOING OVERTIME. ALTHOUGH KNOWING I WOULD LOSE A PERCENTAGE OF MY PENSION I WOULD BE RECIEVING AN AVERAGE SIX GRAND A YEAR SO NOT REALLY LOSING AT ALL.FIFTEEN MONTHS AGO I VOLUNTARILY DECIDED TO CUT MY HOURS DOWN TO 16 A WEEK [TWO NIGHT SHIFTS] THIS GIVES ME £230 IN MY BACK POCKET. I ALSO TAKE MOST OF MY LEAVE IN THE SUMMER WHICH MAKES IT A SIX DAY WEEKEND INSTEAD OF FIVE DAY WEEKEND. I'LL BE 66 IN FEBRUARY AND THE FINAL DECISION WILL HAVE TO BE MADE, RETIRE WITH ALL THE MAINLY HAPPY MEMORIES, 0R PERHAPS THE NEW MANAGEMENT WILL HAVE DECIDED. EITHER WAY I'M FINANCIALLY SECURE AND WILL ACCEPT EITHER WITH GOOD GRACE.
regards
'Libraries gave us power'
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Well paid yes or no?
mickeymacca wrote:What a great first post, I enjoyed reading that Kempy. I share a very similar philosophy to yourself, I 'work to live' rather than the other way round. I fully understand most people are under constraints to have to work many hours a week because of family commitments, but would thoroughly recommend this alternative approach. Be interesting to see if the last 6 months will see people appraise they way they have been living their life and make better work/life choices (if finances allow).kempy wrote:I'M GOING TO GIVE A SLIGHTLY MORE POSITIVE VIEW ON A FORTY YEAR CAREER WITH ROYAL MAIL. WAS TOLD AT THE OFFSET THAT I'D HAVE A JOB FOR LIFE.WOULD PAY MY MORTGAGE OFF.THAT I'D NEED TO COMMIT A HENIOUS CRIME TO GET FIRED. WENT THROUGH TWO YEARS AS A WALK POSTMAN,THEN ON TO BE A P.H.G. MANY YEARS PUTTING IN AT LEAST 25-30 OVERTIME A WEEK AND I WAS AT THE LOWER END OF THE BUNCING PHENOMONOM. THEN SPENT MANY YEARS ON T.P.O BEFORE THE POWERS THAT BE [QUITE RIGHTLY.BUT ANNOYINGLY] DECIDED THAT IT WAS FAR TOO COSTLY TO RUN.SO BACK INTO THE OFFICE WHERE A CUSHY LITTLE NUMBER IN THE BENEFITS AGENCY AROSE AND MORE YEARS OFF THE FLOOR WERE SPENT. GOOD THINGS CAME TO AN END SO IT WAS DECISION TIME.TWENTY YEARS AGO GOT DIVORCED,BOUGHT ANOTHER HOUSE,HAPPILY LIVING A SINGLE LIFE WHILST BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP,DECIDED TO TAKE A PORTION OF MY PENSION WHEN I TURNED 55,PAID OFF MY MORTGAGE,STOPPED DOING OVERTIME. ALTHOUGH KNOWING I WOULD LOSE A PERCENTAGE OF MY PENSION I WOULD BE RECIEVING AN AVERAGE SIX GRAND A YEAR SO NOT REALLY LOSING AT ALL.FIFTEEN MONTHS AGO I VOLUNTARILY DECIDED TO CUT MY HOURS DOWN TO 16 A WEEK [TWO NIGHT SHIFTS] THIS GIVES ME £230 IN MY BACK POCKET. I ALSO TAKE MOST OF MY LEAVE IN THE SUMMER WHICH MAKES IT A SIX DAY WEEKEND INSTEAD OF FIVE DAY WEEKEND. I'LL BE 66 IN FEBRUARY AND THE FINAL DECISION WILL HAVE TO BE MADE, RETIRE WITH ALL THE MAINLY HAPPY MEMORIES, 0R PERHAPS THE NEW MANAGEMENT WILL HAVE DECIDED. EITHER WAY I'M FINANCIALLY SECURE AND WILL ACCEPT EITHER WITH GOOD GRACE.
regards
All sounds great and there are quite a few people with similar stories to yours. However for the younger generation, for people in their 30s, early 40s maybe and also for those in their 20s (very unlikely to have full time contracts) story like this will never happen as wage although not necessarily low for what we do isn't just stretching far enough. All of these while Royal mail begins to look each pound spent a lot more carefully. Less overtime opportunities than in the previous years and if there is any it will be often reserved for a selected group of people.
In the SE England and especially in and around London this job allow you is definitely not well paid. It may look attractive because everyone else is paying really bad. I dont want to go into politics but 20-30 years later we probably won't hear many similar stories. Money vs living costs wont be even close to what it was even 5-6 years ago and also I doubt many people will last 30-40 years in the job as job gets harder every year.