ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

van share covid

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by Cucumber »

dohnut wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
dohnut wrote:The company should just say to everyone that has a driving licence that isn't driving for royal mail, either you drive or look elsewhere for another job, not talking about people who dont have licence or maybe are disabled ect. Sick of being baby sitter for lazy/ignorant people.
What right to RM have to make you drive unless contracted?
I signed the changeover 10 plus years ago with the idea it would give me more opportunities in the business, more fool me, I have to ferry about pr**s like you.
pr**s like me? That's not very nice considering I was only asking a question. Spoiler alert, I drive for RM and nobody ferries me about.
But on your idea of forcing people to drive for the company, that is a non starter, especially as it's a skill that you've learned outside of RM. That is why I was asking how you'd propose to make people drive unless it was in their contract. If you've signed up for driving, it's not really other peoples fault is it?
Where we will agree is that there needs to be a drastic rethink of how to encourage or incentivise people to stay with the company in a driving capacity. We have lost a huge number of driving staff due to the extra pressures placed upon them in these times. Times really are that bad that people will leave a job like this.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by Woody Guthrie »

my problem is why you can sit in a car for at least 1 hour to take a driving lesson with a mask on but you cant share a van for a few mins moving from loop 2 loop or travelling from the office out to start
It's been covered before but there are two major differences.

1. Taking a driving lesson is voluntary for one party at least, most driving instructors are self employed even through the major franchises so the final decision is for the individual at risk to make.

2. Driving lessons cannot be achieved without two people in the vehicle, delivering mail can and does have a safer alternative.

Both of those differences would be important in any potential legal compensation case.
Only dead fish follow the current
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by Cucumber »

On a slightly related theme, after seeing the thread discussing the Part Time/Full Time make up of offices, it got me thinking (I know, dangerous stuff!)
I often see posts on here that give the impression that the vast majority of staff in offices are drivers, or 'driver trained'. Are there offices out there where just about everyone (i'm talking 95% plus) drives?
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

van share covid

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

Cucumber wrote:On a slightly related theme, after seeing the thread discussing the Part Time/Full Time make up of offices, it got me thinking (I know, dangerous stuff!)
I often see posts on here that give the impression that the vast majority of staff in offices are drivers, or 'driver trained'. Are there offices out there where just about everyone (i'm talking 95% plus) drives?
About 100 people work at my DO and 5 are complete non drivers(never had a licence), plus 1 that can drive but refuses to for RM.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

There's pre-Covid P'n'L duties where the "passenger" now has to walk 1 mile with a full HCT to get to the closest delivery point, deliver the duty that has more delivery points on it, then walk 1.5 miles back to the depot. The duty was not designed around having ~45mins of dead-walking.

Work up to your hours for the day, taking account of your paid break allowance and don't work for free. Work at a reasonable pace and make sure you inform lino if you think timings are going to be tight, chances are they will tell you to sacrifice some letter delivering to attempt delivery of all the Tracked and Specials.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by Pidleypoo »

dohnut wrote:The company should just say to everyone that has a driving licence that isn't driving for royal mail, either you drive or look elsewhere for another job, not talking about people who dont have licence or maybe are disabled ect. Sick of being baby sitter for lazy/ignorant people.
I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 15 years and when I started I didn’t have to drive. They moved the goal posts not me.

Attitudes like yours absolutely stink.

I’ve been doing a hct round since the start of this pandemic and I’ve not finished wary once.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by Acca Dacca »

worktotime wrote:i am the driver and my p&l partner doesnt drive , but the way we work together is spot on we use the kit , take our full meal breaks and i can count on 1 hand how many parcels i do out the back of the van as we fill the lwts up with what we can get on it and off we pop , when we have finished our delivery my mate walks home and i take the van back and unload etc and put our o/t down . so whats the issue of working together ? , my problem is why you can sit in a car for at least 1 hour to take a driving lesson with a mask on but you cant share a van for a few mins moving from loop 2 loop or travelling from the office out to start :crazy: ,
STOP WITH THE DRIVING LESSON COMPARISON

Thats personal choice
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by dohnut »

Pidleypoo wrote:
dohnut wrote:The company should just say to everyone that has a driving licence that isn't driving for royal mail, either you drive or look elsewhere for another job, not talking about people who dont have licence or maybe are disabled ect. Sick of being baby sitter for lazy/ignorant people.
I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 15 years and when I started I didn’t have to drive. They moved the goal posts not me.

Attitudes like yours absolutely stink.

I’ve been doing a hct round since the start of this pandemic and I’ve not finished wary once.
Do you have a driving licence?, If you can't do I've I'm not asking people to drive for royal mail, just people who ALREADY have a licence and REFUSE to drive for royal mail as it's to much PRESSURE, or, RESPONSIBILITY, but it is ok for the rest of us to do it for the same pay, is this not a reasonable thing?.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by wallan »

dohnut wrote:Does anyone else have to partner up with someone who doesnt drive for royalmail but can drive, so you have to do all the driving, collect from boxes, sign the van off, fill the van up, ect ect. And at the moment for the last 6 months take the van back and pouch off while partner gets to drive back home and put his feet up?.
If there using there Car On Delivery then they are Driving for RM , RM is covering 3rd Party Ins & know Doubt paying millage
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by Cucumber »

dohnut wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:
dohnut wrote:The company should just say to everyone that has a driving licence that isn't driving for royal mail, either you drive or look elsewhere for another job, not talking about people who dont have licence or maybe are disabled ect. Sick of being baby sitter for lazy/ignorant people.
I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 15 years and when I started I didn’t have to drive. They moved the goal posts not me.

Attitudes like yours absolutely stink.

I’ve been doing a hct round since the start of this pandemic and I’ve not finished wary once.
Do you have a driving licence?, If you can't do I've I'm not asking people to drive for royal mail, just people who ALREADY have a licence and REFUSE to drive for royal mail as it's to much PRESSURE, or, RESPONSIBILITY, but it is ok for the rest of us to do it for the same pay, is this not a reasonable thing?.
You've just answered your own question as to why people who don't need to drive for RM, won't drive for RM. Why should they for no extra?
I do agree with you, as do thousands more that drivers should be paid some sort of supplement, as it would definitely make more people consider doing it, but attacking those who don't drive for RM will get you nowhere.
As a side point, i've read countless people on here saying that their 'partner' is away home hours before they are - I'd be looking to change partner if they aren't willing to share the workload in these times. Plenty people are rearranging the duties to give partner an extra loop or so, arranging the workload on a ad hoc basis depending on that days traffic.
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by shepherdess »

Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

van share covid

Post by doorstepped »

I am on a van share ( Walker ) but we share our work between us.
I drive out to the first point of delivery and do both loop one's while the driver goes off and does all the parcels.
we then just do our other loops as normal then we both drive back to the DO to book DL parcels back in etc.
we both finish at the same time, it's the only fair way to do it in my eyes.

However, I am only using my car for a short while longer, 12 weeks was stated, but now it's going into the 6th month, so I am trying to force my DOM into getting us another van, because it will be impossible to do much in November / December.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by Cucumber »

shepherdess wrote:Drivers used to be payed a supplement, bring it back even a small amount would make driving more appealing, drivers definitely are under more pressure
I remember the Driving Supplement. It was something like £25-30 a week. People used to actually fight to get onto driving duties for the extra money, so it shows it does work as an incentive.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

van share covid

Post by dohnut »

Cucumber wrote:
dohnut wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:
dohnut wrote:The company should just say to everyone that has a driving licence that isn't driving for royal mail, either you drive or look elsewhere for another job, not talking about people who dont have licence or maybe are disabled ect. Sick of being baby sitter for lazy/ignorant people.
I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 15 years and when I started I didn’t have to drive. They moved the goal posts not me.

Attitudes like yours absolutely stink.

I’ve been doing a hct round since the start of this pandemic and I’ve not finished wary once.
Do you have a driving licence?, If you can't do I've I'm not asking people to drive for royal mail, just people who ALREADY have a licence and REFUSE to drive for royal mail as it's to much PRESSURE, or, RESPONSIBILITY, but it is ok for the rest of us to do it for the same pay, is this not a reasonable thing?.
You've just answered your own question as to why people who don't need to drive for RM, won't drive for RM. Why should they for no extra?
I do agree with you, as do thousands more that drivers should be paid some sort of supplement, as it would definitely make more people consider doing it, but attacking those who don't drive for RM will get you nowhere.
As a side point, i've read countless people on here saying that their 'partner' is away home hours before they are - I'd be looking to change partner if they aren't willing to share the workload in these times. Plenty people are rearranging the duties to give partner an extra loop or so, arranging the workload on a ad hoc basis depending on that days traffic.
in hindsite I wish I never did the changeover, but what if everyone had the same attitude as you who would drive then?, Someone has to and now you couldn't get a job with royal mail if you can't drive, try getting job with another courier if you reduce to drive.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

van share covid

Post by Cucumber »

dohnut wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
dohnut wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:
dohnut wrote:The company should just say to everyone that has a driving licence that isn't driving for royal mail, either you drive or look elsewhere for another job, not talking about people who dont have licence or maybe are disabled ect. Sick of being baby sitter for lazy/ignorant people.
I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 15 years and when I started I didn’t have to drive. They moved the goal posts not me.

Attitudes like yours absolutely stink.

I’ve been doing a hct round since the start of this pandemic and I’ve not finished wary once.
Do you have a driving licence?, If you can't do I've I'm not asking people to drive for royal mail, just people who ALREADY have a licence and REFUSE to drive for royal mail as it's to much PRESSURE, or, RESPONSIBILITY, but it is ok for the rest of us to do it for the same pay, is this not a reasonable thing?.
You've just answered your own question as to why people who don't need to drive for RM, won't drive for RM. Why should they for no extra?
I do agree with you, as do thousands more that drivers should be paid some sort of supplement, as it would definitely make more people consider doing it, but attacking those who don't drive for RM will get you nowhere.
As a side point, i've read countless people on here saying that their 'partner' is away home hours before they are - I'd be looking to change partner if they aren't willing to share the workload in these times. Plenty people are rearranging the duties to give partner an extra loop or so, arranging the workload on a ad hoc basis depending on that days traffic.
in hindsite I wish I never did the changeover, but what if everyone had the same attitude as you who would drive then?, Someone has to and now you couldn't get a job with royal mail if you can't drive, try getting job with another courier if you reduce to drive.
For the second time, I DRIVE FOR ROYAL MAIL.