ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Morale

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Morale

Post by Navalron »

HA1 wrote:If people want to leave let them. The job is a good job, just lazy people don’t want to work.

Your talking utter pish. Now go take your tablets. DH.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by HTPostman »

I wouldn’t say morale is any different from this time last year. I have a start time, a finish time, 99.99% of the time I’m allowed extra hours to take me up to full time.

If I’m asked to do extra on overtime I ask only to be paid for the work I do, I don’t ghost overtime and in the last 100 payslips I’ve only been paid short once, which was immediately rectified.

Worried about the virus? A bit. Worried about losing my job at RM due to being at the bottom of the seniority ladder? A lot. But overall, I’m here to work and I’m happy.

The only thing I have noticed is there are more and more colleagues getting worked up over silly things eg John is taking parcels as his lapsing, he’s only got 7 parcels I’ve got 8. Complaining to the union because their walk didn’t go on their day off or they’ve been moved for a day. We sometimes forget we are here to work for RM, within reason they can tell us to do whatever they like in our hours.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Ricardo44 »

Yes, but the cause of a lot of the bad feeling and resentment is due to the fact that certain people are allowed to get away with doing far less than others and never get moved etc. Different rules applied to different people.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Ricardo44 wrote:Yes, but the cause of a lot of the bad feeling and resentment is due to the fact that certain people are allowed to get away with doing far less than others and never get moved etc. Different rules applied to different people.
That's always been the case.
It's more or less the same in any industry.
It's more or less the same with life.
It isn't fair.

I think what's changed is that people have higher expectations of being treated "fairly" now. Whether that's a good thing or just setting people up for disappointment is a whole different and tedious argument but I don't think even though expectations have risen that life and work is any fairer now than 30 years ago, some of the more blatant stuff like racism, sexism and homophobia has probably shifted into the background a bit but basically it's just same old-same old.

Moral is work sucks, favourites get favours and the rest of us get shat on. You can either let it eat you up or you can punch in do the work and punch out. Personally if I let what others get away with bother me I would have clocked someone years ago and lost my job.
Only dead fish follow the current
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Ricardo44 »

Yes, i agree. I left school in the early 80's and did other jobs before working for RM. Its the same in any workplace and its true that in some ways it was worse years ago as far as things like racism and homophobia go. Having good managers does make a big difference. As we all know, there are very few good managers in RM and thats the root cause of most of the problems.
bucks123
Posts: 64
Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 05:35
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by bucks123 »

Woody Guthrie wrote: Moral is work sucks, favourites get favours and the rest of us get shat on. You can either let it eat you up or you can punch in do the work and punch out. Personally if I let what others get away with bother me I would have clocked someone years ago and lost my job.
Agree with this completely. The way different people are treated was really winding my up and I had to take a step back and take the same view. Just go in, do your job and go home, don't worry about anyone else.

I worked in office jobs before joining RM 3 years ago and the same things happen there although to a lesser extent and it was not so outwardly obvious. It tended to be the efficient staff were given more work to do while others got 'carried' and then praised to the rafters when they actually decided to put in a full days work :d'oh!
Speedmeister
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Speedmeister »

I work as a reserve on rural duties and it seems the reserves are having to do more work than when the duty holder is on the job - been like this for a couple of years now. For example we were getting sent out to do 9am specials (which can take nearly an hour and a half and then getting back to find the duty hardly prepped whereas the duty holder would do about an hour on sorting. Then other times you'd get stuck sorting parcels for over an hour while the frame is part prepped and then the duty holder would just be prepping their own frame.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
Intercityfirm1970
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 May 2019, 08:52
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Intercityfirm1970 »

Animosity is the new office moral.. Dodgy deals.. bosses nark.. Bosses blue eyed boys all looked after
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Morale

Post by k979aaa »

Speedmeister wrote:I work as a reserve on rural duties and it seems the reserves are having to do more work than when the duty holder is on the job - been like this for a couple of years now. For example we were getting sent out to do 9am specials (which can take nearly an hour and a half and then getting back to find the duty hardly prepped whereas the duty holder would do about an hour on sorting. Then other times you'd get stuck sorting parcels for over an hour while the frame is part prepped and then the duty holder would just be prepping their own frame.
It is not your fellow workers but the corrupt and corpulent management I have seen with my own eyes how they rob peter to pay Paul and that is two hours before most part time staff even set foot in the building it is a staffing issue not a lack of effort this is what happens it is not haste but post when you get it once a week!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by SpacePhoenix »

k979aaa wrote:It is not your fellow workers but the corrupt and corpulent management I have seen with my own eyes how they rob peter to pay Paul and that is two hours before most part time staff even set foot in the building it is a staffing issue not a lack of effort this is what happens it is not haste but post when you get it once a week!
There's probably no offices that have got the proper staffing levels. MCs are worse, just look at the numbers of casuals on any given shift on any given day
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Morale

Post by k979aaa »

Ricardo44 wrote:Yes, i agree. I left school in the early 80's and did other jobs before working for RM. Its the same in any workplace and its true that in some ways it was worse years ago as far as things like racism and homophobia go. Having good managers does make a big difference. As we all know, there are very few good managers in RM and thats the root cause of most of the problems.
Quite right.
rodtheplod
Posts: 20
Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 14:33
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by rodtheplod »

I've been at RM for about 4 years and spent over 25 years in other industries and jobs and I have never been in such a toxic work place. How it hasn't yet kicked off physically is a miracle.
barcajr
Posts: 168
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by barcajr »

They'll do well to find another job in the present circumstances
Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Mr Rush »

rodtheplod wrote:I've been at RM for about 4 years and spent over 25 years in other industries and jobs and I have never been in such a toxic work place. How it hasn't yet kicked off physically is a miracle.
A former P&L partner told me he was close to his breaking point several years back due to management pressure over lapsing that he had considered that. If this were the US, RM might have a very poor public image over 'going postal'.
The machine stops.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Morale

Post by Munchboii »

I find that if you are in a small rural office (5-20 rounds) then the morale is higher than in an office of say 50 rounds.

Why this is im not exactly sure however one theory I have is that the reserves in the smaller offices may only be expected to know a quarter of the rounds say 5 out of 20. Whereas a reserve in a larger office of 50 rounds may on paper only be expected to know 5 but in reality will know around 12 rounds and be thrown onto rounds blind at a frequent rate.

Therefore the reserves in a smaller office can be happier and this factor can greatly increase the teamwork ethic in a DO, thus creating morale.