ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Redundancy for over 65s

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by HTPostman »

RobertT wrote:I dabbled a bit with music when I was younger, attempting(I wasn't and am still not very good) to play guitar in a band, I later went on to write and record on my own using a home studio mainly using synths and sequencers.
So I can understand where you're coming from when you say it isn't a job – it's something you enjoy that you also get paid for. :thumbup

I can't see £25k getting you very far to be honest, but good luck, I wish I had the ability to play guitar 'in a few bands on the gig circuit'. :Applause
Thank you, I realise I am very fortunate to be in this position, probably only 1 in 2000 (maybe even less) my age are in the same position.

The £25k is growing by 5% a year. Will see where I stand nearer the time.

I love music and gigging, I had the opportunity to go pro with it but it’s a huge risk. Nice to meet a fellow musician here.

Anyway less of this is your life, back on topic I know everyone’s situations are different but if I hated the job that much I’d prefer 5-10 years more of retirement albeit on a lower pension.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by RobertT »

For me it's not all about the money, nor is it about the time. It's about getting the balance right between the two and making the right decision at the right time, which is always going to vary from person to person.

Like you I've put myself in a good financial position and bought and paid for my house in my late 20's aswell as saving hard for retirement.

But I don't understand the oldies holding on for that pot of gold(VR) that may never come.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by Tman »

"May never come" should read "will never come".
No firm is going to pay £thousands to get rid of some old boy who could leave (for whatever reason) at any time.
The potential savings to RM is in getting some younger person off the payroll.
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by stodgy88 »

Why wouldnt anybody hang on a while for VR in the current enviroment,with thousands of jobs likely to be shed, and until i hear different i expect senority to be used unless you know more than me , obviously if the job losses dont materilise personally i would leave when im ready.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by Woody Guthrie »

The business is obviously positioning itself to minimise EVR as much as possible by freezing recruitment in Delivery Offices and using casuals and fixed term contracts in mail centres.

Unless your delivery office is sitting on masses of excess hours (perhaps in some London offices with a high ratio of full-time staff) or your mail centre actually closes you would probably be better advised trusting your retirement plans to the national lottery than betting on a VR payout.
Only dead fish follow the current
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by stodgy88 »

My point was ,just wait and see,if it dosent happen fair enough, bought my lottery ticket just in case.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by Seymour Buts »

They recruit something like 10,000 every year, thousands must resign or retire anually; I really can't see anybody being paid off unless it's medical. Any job losses could be easily absorbed in natural turnover.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

HTPostman wrote:
Intercityfirm1970 wrote:I'm 50 and done 34 years service.. Why the hell anyone would want to spend there time doing this s**t in there late 60s must either have dementia or no home life.. If I can hang in till 55 I'm gone to enjoy the rest of my life
Fully agree.

I love the job but don’t understand why some of the older postmen still stick around. Their bodies are broken and they struggle to do their duty and hobble round, they are targeted constantly by management and always say how much they dislike the job. I’d understand if they enjoyed what they do but they don’t.

I just don’t get it. I’m guessing they’ve been here so long they don’t know any different and they are afraid of retiring and being bored.

I’m planning to retire at 45 and fund myself till I get my pension at 55. There’s no way I’ll still be here in my 60s putting daily stress on my body and having a daily battle over what I can and can’t take when I could be on the golf course or in the pool.
. There's a couple of senior (67+70) at our place , both can afford to retire but continue to work / complain about the job . For me if you can afford to retire then let let a young family guy or girl get employment to provide for their families future
Miss Piggy
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jun 2016, 16:00
Gender: Female

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by Miss Piggy »

Hi
How do I find out about VR eg: when or where it is being offered
but I'm not over 65 I'm in my 50's
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Redundancy for over 65s

Post by Deadly »

You have to wait for it to be offered unfortunately and unless you're pretty high on the seniority list your chances are pretty slim.