sindba wrote:Hope it's made compulsory and strictly enforced
.
It can't be strictly enforced without breaching people's right to privacy.
Does that also apply to Royal Mail's footwear policy?
Would it also apply to Royal Mail's sick absence policy?
Could I get myself a ring fenced duty and still keep my privacy?
How many health and safety procedures could I bypass claiming a medical condition without providing evidence?
I think you will find that the onus is on the employee to prove exemption from any company health and safety procedures.
People are confusing the guidance given to retail staff when dealing with customers who refuse to wear a mask and the position of an employee, in a shop refusing to follow health and safety procedures would not result in a breach of contract.
There are also a series of factors which the Government describes as a “reasonable excuse”, which also means you don’t have to wear a mask:
If putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress
How is that even quantifiable?
Who decides what severe distress is - you, your doctor or your DOM?
If a manager unilaterally decides to make wearing face masks mandatory in a delivery office,(as per the original post) how is he going to enforce it?
Is he going to send people home who do not comply?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Who decides what severe distress is - you, your doctor or your DOM?
I would like to think a grown up.
Genuinely how many people in an office could not wear a mask because it would cause severe distress?
How many people in the NHS wear masks?
How many of them give up their careers because wearing a mask causes severe distress?
I would hope managers are sensible and adult about mask wearing where issues are genuine but I would also hope that members are also and don't start running to management because they don't want to wear a mask rather than can't, that way any talk of "enforcement" is unnecessary.
'At the moment' there is NO official stance from Royal Mail that you have to wear a mask.
Regardless of what you think about wearing or not wearing them, the manager has no right to instruct staff to wear them.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been. My BFF Clash The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
POSTMAN wrote:'At the moment' there is NO official stance from Royal Mail that you have to wear a mask.
Regardless of what you think about wearing or not wearing them, the manager has no right to instruct staff to wear them.
If an office manager gives an instruction for health and safety purposes, then I would imagine that it would be up to an employment tribunal, after disciplinary action has been taken, to decide whether that instruction was reasonable.
I wouldn't want to be the one to kick back against an instruction to wear a mask as I suspect that the eventual outcome wouldn't be favourable to me.
I personally have no problem with wearing a mask, let me put that out there 1st, and I personally think that masks should have been worn months ago.
My point is and I'm pointing it out is as we sit here there is no stance from RM that you have to wear a mask.
There has been 2 LTB's today on masks which I haven't read yet, there may be something in there about it.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been. My BFF Clash The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
I won't wear a muzzle,mask or whatever you want to call it. The so called peak of whatever it was happened in early April. What a complete farse this has become.
POSTMAN wrote:'At the moment' there is NO official stance from Royal Mail that you have to wear a mask.
Regardless of what you think about wearing or not wearing them, the manager has no right to instruct staff to wear them.
If an office manager gives an instruction for health and safety purposes, then I would imagine that it would be up to an employment tribunal, after disciplinary action has been taken, to decide whether that instruction was reasonable.
I wouldn't want to be the one to kick back against an instruction to wear a mask as I suspect that the eventual outcome wouldn't be favourable to me.
The current government advice is you don't have to wear a face covering indoors at work.
The current RM advice is you don't have to wear a face covering.
Even when the wearing of masks is mandatory in the customer service points, the person working in there isn't obliged to wear one.
There are a number of exceptions on health grounds.
I'm happy to wear a mask when I am in a shop.
I wouldn't be happy to wear a mask for several hours. I don't see that I am under any obligation to explain to a manager why not.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
sindba wrote:Hope it's made compulsory and strictly enforced.
Idiots who refuse put us all at risk and should be dealt with via conduct.
The virus is deadly and hasn't gone away.
Deaths for people under 45 are no higher than on an average year.
Unless people have medical grade masks and change them very regularly, know how to put them on and never touch them then they don’t work! They give people a false sense of security and will make people ignore social distancing and forget hand hygiene!
Now the government has made them mandatory in shops we will be very busy permanently on parcels now as the high street will die
I'm not going into shops where people are not wearing masks.
Well you won’t be from the 25th as everyone has to. I, on the other hand will go to the supermarket once a week and order everything else online.
I'm wearing a mask in the office and on my duty everyday now. And I'll certainly be disciplined enough to keep my mask on during my deliveries from next Friday. I deliver to a lot of shops on my walk, and I'm going to respect the compulsory ruling that begins next week.
Not only that, but at least two businesses that reopened a couple of weeks ago had to re-close yesterday. Both establishments had employees that were tested positive with the coronavirus.
Spigot bearing wrote:I won't wear a muzzle,mask or whatever you want to call it. The so called peak of whatever it was happened in early April. What a complete farse this has become.
Yeah complete farce when around 100 people a day are still dying from covid 19. altho some days its lower still lots of people dying