ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by toonshola »

Cedar_Room wrote:
theelegend701 wrote:I certainly hope van sharing will be back soon every other industry are sharing vans bin men have 3 in a cab just get on with your job and stop moaning
Bemused as to why anyone is in a rush to revert back to park & loop
Me too mate it’s much better working on your own. I dare say that’s the main reason most of us chose this job, certainly was my reason. And also why increase the risk of catching the virus when there is no need to.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by toonshola »

A2B wrote:
citypostie wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
citypostie wrote:If they manage to get rid of 1 in 6 deliveries it should free up enough cash to get the extra vans so we canwork by ourselves. It's a fact that most people get round quicker working by themselves as well so they will probably get rid of a few more duties to split between everyone


Why would they buy/lease more vans when their current fleet sit there for 60-70% of the time doing nothing between 7am-8pm?
Ok they can do revisions with duties that have later start times, you will get to pick one if you're far enough down the seniority list or part time more than likely
I think that's what they will do but RM will probably want it done on "skills" rather than seniority which will cause lots of issues
The most logical thing would be to have early and late shifts. But what if your on a late shift in the winter when it’s dark by 4pm? Surely Royal Mail can’t expect us to be delivering letters in the dark it would be a health and safety risk. It’s a tricky one to solve and I think whatever they come up with in these revisions is going to upset a lot of people.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

toonshola wrote:
A2B wrote:
citypostie wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
citypostie wrote:If they manage to get rid of 1 in 6 deliveries it should free up enough cash to get the extra vans so we canwork by ourselves. It's a fact that most people get round quicker working by themselves as well so they will probably get rid of a few more duties to split between everyone


Why would they buy/lease more vans when their current fleet sit there for 60-70% of the time doing nothing between 7am-8pm?
Ok they can do revisions with duties that have later start times, you will get to pick one if you're far enough down the seniority list or part time more than likely
I think that's what they will do but RM will probably want it done on "skills" rather than seniority which will cause lots of issues
The most logical thing would be to have early and late shifts. But what if your on a late shift in the winter when it’s dark by 4pm? Surely Royal Mail can’t expect us to be delivering letters in the dark it would be a health and safety risk. It’s a tricky one to solve and I think whatever they come up with in these revisions is going to upset a lot of people.
Until van sharing is allowed again (if it ever is) then some delivery staff are just going to have to work afternoons. For the ones that can driver you could perhaps have a rota with them alternating between mornings and afternoons
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by mags999 »

good time to put the bag boxes back im sure the govt would oblige with any planning very quickly then use a crew type van to take those who don't drive or have no van especially with shoe box or larger being taken away seemingly got to be a better option than the current chaos which wouldn't of been so much of a problem 10 years ago as we used own cars and safe drops etc worked then why not now :nana
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Cucumber »

I can't see how seniority can be given as a reason for not having to not have to work afternoon shifts. Totally unworkable. Shifts will be rotated in my view, and I wouldn't even expect in the future people will be doing the same route every day. It will be driven by what needs done, the best way of doing it, and what day it gets done on. I agree with a post I read on here a week or so ago that stated that there will be a job for you if you're quite willing to be flexible and work all your hours.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by cpsteve »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
HA1 wrote:Been told today 2 in a van will be back W/C 13/07

Masks will be optional
You know it's bullshit by the second part of the statement.
Masks can't be optional because they're mainly effective in protecting other people.

How can one person in a van share decide how much danger they put the other person in?
The drivers do that every time they speed run a red light drive to close.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by citypostie »

It's a fact you need the full timers on the early shift to do the sorting. Afternoon shifts would be part time, come in bag up and go out delivering. That's how it should be now but we've got mainly full timers starting later meaning they are having to pay people overtime to come in early to get the mail sorted otherwise it either wouldn't get done or we wouldn't get out until after 10 everyday
Intercityfirm1970
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 May 2019, 08:52
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Intercityfirm1970 »

All this hysteria over not going back to two in a van is bollocks I've been working in an office for three months that's had half arsed social distancing I now as a non driver have to do 8 loops with my partner to compensate for him doing oversized but all the extra dead walking to next loops etc is writing me off I've done this for 35 years and this last three months has nearly finished me off physically and Saturday I saw 5 different learner drivers pass me with no masks and no screens so what's the difference.. Viva la two in a van ASAP
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I saw 5 different learner drivers pass me with no masks and no screens so what's the difference..
As has been pointed out time and time again the difference is choice.

If and when the business makes the decision to return to two in a van the consequences will be their responsibility.

The lawyers will decide in the end.
Only dead fish follow the current
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by 2yearpostie »

Intercityfirm1970 wrote:All this hysteria over not going back to two in a van is bollocks I've been working in an office for three months that's had half arsed social distancing I now as a non driver have to do 8 loops with my partner to compensate for him doing oversized but all the extra dead walking to next loops etc is writing me off I've done this for 35 years and this last three months has nearly finished me off physically and Saturday I saw 5 different learner drivers pass me with no masks and no screens so what's the difference.. Viva la two in a van ASAP
THIS is the future of rm shift work, morning ft people doing 8 or 9 loops of letters (walk and half) part time people delivering parcels for 2 walks so its safe to work later in winter.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Gasman11 »

2yearpostie wrote:
Intercityfirm1970 wrote:All this hysteria over not going back to two in a van is bollocks I've been working in an office for three months that's had half arsed social distancing I now as a non driver have to do 8 loops with my partner to compensate for him doing oversized but all the extra dead walking to next loops etc is writing me off I've done this for 35 years and this last three months has nearly finished me off physically and Saturday I saw 5 different learner drivers pass me with no masks and no screens so what's the difference.. Viva la two in a van ASAP
THIS is the future of rm shift work, morning ft people doing 8 or 9 loops of letters (walk and half) part time people delivering parcels for 2 walks so its safe to work later in winter.
Woah, woah, woah, you can knock that part timers doing the afternoon shift on the head nonsense. I specifically took this job on a part time basis for child care reasons and there's no chance i'll be agreeing to work past school pick up times, they can pee right off.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Gasman11 wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:
Intercityfirm1970 wrote:All this hysteria over not going back to two in a van is bollocks I've been working in an office for three months that's had half arsed social distancing I now as a non driver have to do 8 loops with my partner to compensate for him doing oversized but all the extra dead walking to next loops etc is writing me off I've done this for 35 years and this last three months has nearly finished me off physically and Saturday I saw 5 different learner drivers pass me with no masks and no screens so what's the difference.. Viva la two in a van ASAP
THIS is the future of rm shift work, morning ft people doing 8 or 9 loops of letters (walk and half) part time people delivering parcels for 2 walks so its safe to work later in winter.
Woah, woah, woah, you can knock that part timers doing the afternoon shift on the head nonsense. I specifically took this job on a part time basis for child care reasons and there's no chance i'll be agreeing to work past school pick up times, they can pee right off.
If it ends up with there only being afternoon shift duties left then you'll have no choice. Full times will almost certainly be the ones doing the IPS and preparing the walks. They physically won't be able to take out literally everything for all walks so there'll be afternoon shifts. If RM decide that having split shifts is more economical than van share then chances are van share will be gone for good
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Woah, woah, woah, you can knock that part timers doing the afternoon shift on the head nonsense. I specifically took this job on a part time basis for child care reasons and there's no chance i'll be agreeing to work past school pick up times, they can pee right off.
I think that's what they mean by those that can.
Only dead fish follow the current
yellowbelly
Posts: 3729
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by yellowbelly »

toonshola wrote:
Cucumber wrote:I've still to hear a convincing argument as to why shared vans will ever return.
I really hope they don’t. They cause so many arguments amongst staff and the loops are never planned right so the driver can do large packets on their own. If your out with someone really slow then that slows you down, or even worse out with a runner who makes the day massively stressful. Terrible idea from the start and I pray we have seen the back of them. Probably wishful thinking on my part though.
There's a van share in a neighbouring office that has become more efficient since the duty was made a HCT trolley and singleton driver.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Gasman11 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Gasman11 wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:
Intercityfirm1970 wrote:All this hysteria over not going back to two in a van is bollocks I've been working in an office for three months that's had half arsed social distancing I now as a non driver have to do 8 loops with my partner to compensate for him doing oversized but all the extra dead walking to next loops etc is writing me off I've done this for 35 years and this last three months has nearly finished me off physically and Saturday I saw 5 different learner drivers pass me with no masks and no screens so what's the difference.. Viva la two in a van ASAP
THIS is the future of rm shift work, morning ft people doing 8 or 9 loops of letters (walk and half) part time people delivering parcels for 2 walks so its safe to work later in winter.
Woah, woah, woah, you can knock that part timers doing the afternoon shift on the head nonsense. I specifically took this job on a part time basis for child care reasons and there's no chance i'll be agreeing to work past school pick up times, they can pee right off.
If it ends up with there only being afternoon shift duties left then you'll have no choice. Full times will almost certainly be the ones doing the IPS and preparing the walks. They physically won't be able to take out literally everything for all walks so there'll be afternoon shifts. If RM decide that having split shifts is more economical than van share then chances are van share will be gone for good
I couldn't practically do it as i have child care responsibilities and took the job on the basis of being able to take and collect my child from school each day.