ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Cucumber »

fb1969 wrote:I catch the bus out most days, it covers about 3/4 of the journey, and claim the fares back. Don't take any post with me, I meet the driver out there. Then a 25 minute walk back at the end.
Given that they are paying you expenses to get the bus, then I assume RM feel it's less risky than van sharing? Are you able to stay away from people on the bus?
A2B
Posts: 2033
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by A2B »

Cucumber wrote:
fb1969 wrote:I catch the bus out most days, it covers about 3/4 of the journey, and claim the fares back. Don't take any post with me, I meet the driver out there. Then a 25 minute walk back at the end.
Given that they are paying you expenses to get the bus, then I assume RM feel it's less risky than van sharing? Are you able to stay away from people on the bus?
Almost every bus i've seen is empty so i would think so
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by fb1969 »

Single deckers round here are saying a maximum of 10 or 11 - sit by the window in every other seat and no standing. So far the busiest has been about 6 people including me, I thought easing the lockdown would have made it busier but there is no change so far. Its a few minutes walk to catch the bus, about 5-10 minutes on it and then a 5 minute walk.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by feduppostie »

Cucumber wrote:
Joe4567 wrote:2 suspended in my office for van sharing today
What made them do it? were they doing so for their own gains?

Also, does anybody know if using public transport is a valid/acceptable way of getting to your first delivery point - I've heard rumours of this, but surely not?
we all used to get the bus out in years gone by, had a free bus pass and everything
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Cucumber »

feduppostie wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Joe4567 wrote:2 suspended in my office for van sharing today
What made them do it? were they doing so for their own gains?

Also, does anybody know if using public transport is a valid/acceptable way of getting to your first delivery point - I've heard rumours of this, but surely not?
we all used to get the bus out in years gone by, had a free bus pass and everything
Of course, I remember staff using the bus to get to first delivery point etc. I even scored a few free bus rides home when the driver just waved me on as I had my delivery pouch on me. No pandemic then though. There will be real problems however if it becomes busier on buses and RM still ask/expect those that are doing so no to continue. 2 in a van = dangerous, 20 on a bus = acceptable?
Joe4567
Posts: 45
Joined: 05 Aug 2019, 15:09
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Joe4567 »

glass joe wrote:
Joe4567 wrote:2 suspended in my office for van sharing today
No doubt there couples who meet up at the start of their delivery, park the car and use the van rest of delivery.... did a member of the public grass them up?
Think my DOM had heard whispers in the office somehow be it a colleague or member of the public (rural area a lot of people know each other etc). We have 3 hire vans (unmarked white vans) at the moment due to suspension of van share. DOM signed one out and caught them himself red handed
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by daveyeff »

Cucumber wrote:
feduppostie wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Joe4567 wrote:2 suspended in my office for van sharing today
What made them do it? were they doing so for their own gains?

Also, does anybody know if using public transport is a valid/acceptable way of getting to your first delivery point - I've heard rumours of this, but surely not?
we all used to get the bus out in years gone by, had a free bus pass and everything
Of course, I remember staff using the bus to get to first delivery point etc. I even scored a few free bus rides home when the driver just waved me on as I had my delivery pouch on me. No pandemic then though. There will be real problems however if it becomes busier on buses and RM still ask/expect those that are doing so no to continue. 2 in a van = dangerous, 20 on a bus = acceptable?
well the education secretary says ALL kids to be back to school in September, threatening fines to parents who don't comply. so they must be planning on scrapping social distancing altogether by then. so i would assume we will all be back to van share by then. about 9 weeks time.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Cucumber »

daveyeff wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
feduppostie wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Joe4567 wrote:2 suspended in my office for van sharing today
What made them do it? were they doing so for their own gains?

Also, does anybody know if using public transport is a valid/acceptable way of getting to your first delivery point - I've heard rumours of this, but surely not?
we all used to get the bus out in years gone by, had a free bus pass and everything
Of course, I remember staff using the bus to get to first delivery point etc. I even scored a few free bus rides home when the driver just waved me on as I had my delivery pouch on me. No pandemic then though. There will be real problems however if it becomes busier on buses and RM still ask/expect those that are doing so no to continue. 2 in a van = dangerous, 20 on a bus = acceptable?
well the education secretary says ALL kids to be back to school in September, threatening fines to parents who don't comply. so they must be planning on scrapping social distancing altogether by then. so i would assume we will all be back to van share by then. about 9 weeks time.
I'm not so sure social distancing will be fully dropped in workplaces. RM will still fall under the same guidelines of that if you can have 1 person per van, then do so. Same as for people working from home, if they can do so, then do so. Safety comes first and the cloth will have to be cut accordingly.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by daveyeff »

all the kids being ordered back to school in Sept seems to be the Governments plan to totally scrap it. how else can you have the full classroom quota of 30 plus kids if social distancing is still in place. i would like to know how they think we will be virus free by then though?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

daveyeff wrote:all the kids being ordered back to school in Sept seems to be the Governments plan to totally scrap it. how else can you have the full classroom quota of 30 plus kids if social distancing is still in place. i would like to know how they think we will be virus free by then though?
Realistically I think it's something that we'll just have to live with (doesn't seem to have such severe affects any more) as there's no vaccines available for any of the coronaviruses and the common cold is a type of coronavirus
glass joe
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by glass joe »

Yeah you can't keep school kids out forever and businesses shut, this corona could be with us for years. One day the government will abandon the lockdown rules etc and treat it as a cold.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by woody38 »

glass joe wrote:Yeah you can't keep school kids out forever and businesses shut, this corona could be with us for years. One day the government will abandon the lockdown rules etc and treat it as a cold.
It’s not a cold though, it’s a lottery some people get it mild other it kills them so yes I take it seriously I never do my job without my mask & gloves,
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Route1 »

Joe4567 wrote:2 suspended in my office for van sharing today
This is just dumb. I've also been dumb. I got a couple of lifts to my first bag in the first fortnight as my driver was driving by.

Rep got a visit from Area rep about complaint and was nearly crying when he saw me & my driving walking back into the office at almost the same time. Told him the truth that did get a lift sometimes to first bag but never after that. I just finished my bit before him and walked back. He's driving so I dont help him on the last loop.

Never got into the van after that even though I was asked again. Told him its silly risking anything for a two minute lift and to just wait for me at my start point. Our P&L doesnt loop.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by Cucumber »

I've still to hear a convincing argument as to why shared vans will ever return.
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

2 IN A VAN AGAIN?

Post by toonshola »

Cucumber wrote:I've still to hear a convincing argument as to why shared vans will ever return.
I really hope they don’t. They cause so many arguments amongst staff and the loops are never planned right so the driver can do large packets on their own. If your out with someone really slow then that slows you down, or even worse out with a runner who makes the day massively stressful. Terrible idea from the start and I pray we have seen the back of them. Probably wishful thinking on my part though.