ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Days off for exhaustion

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Days off for exhaustion

Post by krussel »

Acca Dacca wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
glass joe wrote:Every office has staff who just play the system and take an extra 2 weeks off a year sick (just to relax or do some decorating) and fly under the radar, with the sick policies once you take one day off sick you may as well take the whole week off and it will count the same as taking just one day off.
And these people should be sacked they dont deserve a job.
I thought the same until I once was off sick on a Tuesday, was pressured into coming back Wednesday while not 100% but felt obliged to help out, felt terrible halfway round the walk but struggled on and completed albeit late, phoned back in on the Thursday because I wasnt making THAT mistake again and returned on the Friday

For my efforts in trying to return too soon I ended up getting a stage further down the line because that counted as two absences when if I just took the full week off and didnt bother trying to come in not fully fit i'd not have got the stage

So in essence - I dont blame the guys who play the system - the system is broke
Acca's right here. I have come back early in the past and regretted it just to have go sick again and trigger a stage. There are some who really swing the lead but they are dying out.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Days off for exhaustion

Post by norris9 »

Janet Brum wrote:Norris, have you considered doing less overtime in order to not get that exhausted?

Try doing a 10 hours on top of your 25 for a week if you need the money, tell your manager you need to finish in time and can`t go over if you`re happy with your contracted hours wage and go home and rest half day, also don`t work your day off.

Just a thought.
I don't do any overtime and I am shattered. I don't feel it so much on the round unless I am going up steps, steps are a killer, even stiff letterboxes are a killer and sap your energy...

It's when I get home I am always yawning, aching.

I don't feel like I should take time off currently. I am knackered, but not that knackered, but I am wondering at some point in the months ahead if I am going to be so shattered that I need days off, maybe I wake up one day and I have just hit a wall and it would be sensible to have a day or 2 off to recover as driving, going up steps etc etc aren't safe when you are cream crackered.

Anyhow, I know the simple answer is to just exaggerate and say you are in pain. Obviously throwing sickies is common throughout the UK and probably the world.

I guess I was just curious if it was quite common for people to have a odd day or 2 off a year because their legs/body has packed in. I guess if RM's sickness rate is higher than the average sickness rate in the UK (I don't know if it is) then the answer is probably yes.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Days off for exhaustion

Post by scoobydo79 »

Our yard looks like an A&E ward first thing in the mornings.People limping and hobbling all over the place. :shock:
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Days off for exhaustion

Post by Janet Brum »

I`m always in pain but I do a minimum of 45 hours a week and I work my day off.
I need the money due to family circumstances, otherwise I wouldn`t work this much.