ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Manager Harassment & Stress

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Hi all, thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've gone around my local rep and straight to my regional rep to deal with this problem, hopefully it can be sorted out. Today I came into the office and was told to take my car out on delivery by following a van following our meeting on saturday, I refused stating that I had been advised by our union that it was not RM policy. Luckily my DOM wasn't in and my lino got the wind up him, straight as I mentioned the word “union”. I however have been told that because I said I was going to use my car in the “meeting” on saturday for wednesdays delivery my DOM is going to have a meeting with me tomorrow because I lied? Today I walked to my start point and did as much as I could, I texted my lino that I would struggle and I ended up cutting 3 bags as it takes 25 mins to walk from the office to the start point, X2 that and it's almost an hour worth of delivery time.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I say tomorrow during the second installment of bollock vision that will keep me in the clear?
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by osgoody1970 »

Unless you have business insurance, you are not insured to drive your car to the start of the delverypoint, so therefore, your stance would be, “I,m not insured to use my car for work purposes, and I did not know this at the time, you have all the bullets here, use them, 4 hour delivery, 30 mins break, 25 mins ew to and from delivery point, tell them to do the maths, cannot be done in 5 hours.
Joe B
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
Gender: Male

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by Joe B »

Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've gone around my local rep and straight to my regional rep to deal with this problem, hopefully it can be sorted out. Today I came into the office and was told to take my car out on delivery by following a van following our meeting on saturday, I refused stating that I had been advised by our union that it was not RM policy. Luckily my DOM wasn't in and my lino got the wind up him, straight as I mentioned the word “union”. I however have been told that because I said I was going to use my car in the “meeting” on saturday for wednesdays delivery my DOM is going to have a meeting with me tomorrow because I lied? Today I walked to my start point and did as much as I could, I texted my lino that I would struggle and I ended up cutting 3 bags as it takes 25 mins to walk from the office to the start point, X2 that and it's almost an hour worth of delivery time.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I say tomorrow during the second installment of bollock vision that will keep me in the clear?
You are under no obligation to use your own car, especially as you probably don't have business insurance, it's Royal mails responsibility to transport you. Them calling you a liar for changing your mind about using your own car is a stretch to be honest. Take a rep/witness/trusted colleague in to the meeting and log/ record what is said.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by HTPostman »

Also take your contract in and ask them to point to the section which says you should be willing to use your car for business purposes.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by Route1 »

Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've gone around my local rep and straight to my regional rep to deal with this problem, hopefully it can be sorted out. Today I came into the office and was told to take my car out on delivery by following a van following our meeting on saturday, I refused stating that I had been advised by our union that it was not RM policy. Luckily my DOM wasn't in and my lino got the wind up him, straight as I mentioned the word “union”. I however have been told that because I said I was going to use my car in the “meeting” on saturday for wednesdays delivery my DOM is going to have a meeting with me tomorrow because I lied? Today I walked to my start point and did as much as I could, I texted my lino that I would struggle and I ended up cutting 3 bags as it takes 25 mins to walk from the office to the start point, X2 that and it's almost an hour worth of delivery time.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I say tomorrow during the second installment of bollock vision that will keep me in the clear?
As far as I understand ( or misunderstand) Royal Mail's insurance covers u to drive to your first delivery point only. I dont believe you are allowed to drive your car following the Royal Mail after this point ie you'd be driving without insurance. You are also not allowed to carry mail in your car. I walk the 15 min to my first bag. Same after the last loop. I can drive but why would i waste my fuel + wear & tear on the car without any compensation.

From what u have said it looks like u followed the correct procedure.

You should keep calm and respond politely to any questions. If you want to annoy them u can get cheeky with your answers but presented in a polite manner. I'd advise to take someone with you to the meeting as a witness preferably the area rep.

You didnt lie as after careful consideration u've decided not to take ur car on delivery as you can safely & timely walk to ur start point unless they wish to provide a van for u to drive. Mention this was on the advice on the union. The high cost of fuel & wear on the tyres could be covered with a fulltime contract.

I'd also fill in a grievance form making it official stating the dom is trying to bully u into taking ur car on delivery & follow the RM van.

Keep a diary of things as its easier to back up ur case with a written list of these "micro-aggressions".

Regarding the duty u did with 2 days worth of post. Last week it TWO guys to complete ONE walk + only parcels from the other walk & they left parcels too. This walk only partially cleared the previous day. One of the guys u'd say he was at it but they other guy is a hard worker so we believed them.

If want to get nasty you can say some of the following but its not productive.
(1) maybe suggest to the manager as he's been on "holiday" for a while and he's not quite up to speed with things. You'll let this slid this time because a decent dom would have seen the workload and allocated the correct resources.

(2) "I explained this but all I got was "all the duties in the office and 4 hours long, it shouldn't take you any longer than that, I don’t understand what the problem is". Tell him thats the problem. He doesnt understand the problem. Maybe time for another holiday or find alternative employment for his level of expertise.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by steve1873 »

First thing to do is start a diary and record EVERYTHING. Time you walk in building, how much indoor work is required, travelling time etc.

Secondly, inform this piece of s**t manager that you are now diarising events and any further "chats" will only be participated in with the accompaniment of a reliable witness. Tell him that whilst his behaviour may not be a deliberate attempt at bullying, that is how you are perceiving it and you are informally requesting thst this behaviour toward you now ceases with immediate effect or you will be left with no choice but to start formal proceedings against him.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by HTPostman »

One of the best things you can do is read up on the company/union policies, make yourselves familiar with them so you know how to play the system. I’m afraid it’s just one big game. I wouldn’t get sarcastic with them, just calmly respond - for example if he’s querying your work rate politely ask him where he thinks you can speed up and invite him out on delivery to give you some pointers.

We have to educate ourselves....like you I don’t think union reps are all that (but I couldn’t do a better job myself so try not to criticise) but I’m thankful for the policies and conditions the union have fought for. Just as an example I’m tired of seeing new starters sent to other offices, dragging their feet getting upset about it then going there in their car when if they spent just 2 minutes reading up they’d know RM have to provide transport, vans are at a premium right now so if they said ‘no problem, I’ll go to the other depot. Let me know which van to take’ management would soon ask someone else.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Manager Harassment & Stress

Post by FinishOnTime »

HTPostman wrote:One of the best things you can do is read up on the company/union policies, make yourselves familiar with them so you know how to play the system. I’m afraid it’s just one big game. I wouldn’t get sarcastic with them, just calmly respond - for example if he’s querying your work rate politely ask him where he thinks you can speed up and invite him out on delivery to give you some pointers.

We have to educate ourselves....like you I don’t think union reps are all that (but I couldn’t do a better job myself so try not to criticise) but I’m thankful for the policies and conditions the union have fought for. Just as an example I’m tired of seeing new starters sent to other offices, dragging their feet getting upset about it then going there in their car when if they spent just 2 minutes reading up they’d know RM have to provide transport, vans are at a premium right now so if they said ‘no problem, I’ll go to the other depot. Let me know which van to take’ management would soon ask someone else.

100% correct. And I wouldn’t assume anything about my local rep without approaching them first.