ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcel force packages

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Parcel force packages

Post by steve1873 »

Woody Guthrie wrote:I've been doing parcels on an off for over 20 years for Royal Mail and nobody no matter where averages 40-50 parcels an hour.

20 separate drops per hour is not a piss take it's a decent rate.

30 and you've had a lucky hour or two.

40-50 and you can’t count.
Correct. Anyone telling you they "average 45-50" is a liar, end of story!
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

Parcel force packages

Post by ripio »

wacko74 wrote:
I'm not saying 60 per hour is achievable in ALL circumstances and ALL areas ALL of the time (I find between around 12-4pm at Christmas time hugely frustrating with literally NOBODY at home)... but in the current circumstances of many people being at home and with the incentive of £22ph for doing it then I certainly think it's achievable in an urban/suburban area you're familiar with IF you've got a decent work ethic and a modicum of competence and organisational ability.

And I still say, 20 per hour on a housing estate (which someone else described as an acceptable level) is an absolute piss take under any circumstances, barring perhaps a new starter in an area they're completely unfamiliar with.
60 per hour is impossible, even if all recipients are in.

Time to safely park your van.
Remove seatbelt.
Get parcel from back of van.
Lock van.
Walk to door.
Knock/ring door.
Wait for answer.
Return to van.
Check next delivery point.
Put on seatbelt.
Start van and check mirrors, safe to drive off.
Drive carefully and considerately to next delivery point within speed limit.

If you can do all of that in one minute then you are a magician.

And how does being paid £22 per hour make any difference?
Do you start running when the pay rate goes above a certain level?
Do you start speeding?
Andyajb277
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 39
Joined: 03 Sep 2017, 18:14
Gender: Male

Parcel force packages

Post by Andyajb277 »

60 a hour
Santa Claus has joined parcelforce
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Parcel force packages

Post by joewyan »

wacko74 wrote:
joewyan wrote:
wacko74 wrote:I did hear that ParcelForce were being offered £22 per hour to deliver 6o pkts per hour, which seems achievable in an urban/suburban area.

I wonder if we'll be offered the same incentive for taking excess work off them? :hmmmm
Have you ever done a parcel delivery? I do it every Christmas and 60 per hour is no way achievable even in a compact area. 40 is achievable I think.
Been doing parcels every Christmas for 20 years and every Saturday so far on this new parcels only Saturdays thing.

I'm not saying 60 per hour is achievable in ALL circumstances and ALL areas ALL of the time (I find between around 12-4pm at Christmas time hugely frustrating with literally NOBODY at home)... but in the current circumstances of many people being at home and with the incentive of £22ph for doing it then I certainly think it's achievable in an urban/suburban area you're familiar with IF you've got a decent work ethic and a modicum of competence and organisational ability.

And I still say, 20 per hour on a housing estate (which someone else described as an acceptable level) is an absolute piss take under any circumstances, barring perhaps a new starter in an area they're completely unfamiliar with.
If you are doing it properly then yes I think 20 is too low but 60 not really achievable. This includes not having parcels in the cab so you have to go into the back each drop and of course locking and unlocking the van, allowing time for customer to answer the door and no leaving parcels except in authorised safe places.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Parcel force packages

Post by xPandabear1992x »

20 parcels an hour is easy if you know where you're going and you prioritise.

30 parcels an hour is fairly easy if you know where you're going, you prioritise and you completely ignore the route the optimiser has given you.

No offence to the people who designed it, but the recommended routes send you round the houses when you could just seg 'em and take polish off the ones for the street your on.

On that note: where does the RO+N get the ETAs from? You're scanning in 20-25 parcels and the app reckons it's gonna take you 2 hours :crazy:
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Parcel force packages

Post by joewyan »

xPandabear1992x wrote:20 parcels an hour is easy if you know where you're going and you prioritise.

30 parcels an hour is fairly easy if you know where you're going, you prioritise and you completely ignore the route the optimiser has given you.

No offence to the people who designed it, but the recommended routes send you round the houses when you could just seg 'em and take polish off the ones for the street your on.

On that note: where does the RO+N get the ETAs from? You're scanning in 20-25 parcels and the app reckons it's gonna take you 2 hours :crazy:
Personally I’ve never used the optimiser, prefer to organise my own route then can avoid certain areas at busy times etc.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Parcel force packages

Post by 97gaz »

Pah. 60 an hour? Piece of P**s