Cucumber wrote:There should have been a review of the different types of shift patterns some time ago. Even if just to look at rotating them. Things have gotten stuck in the mud now and people are set in their ways, unwilling to change from the easy little number they have at the moment. That's certainly the case in my DO.
I've read on here that there's plenty of people liking this new way of working - I doubt very much that they are the ones out until 8-9pm.
I'm one of them who kind of likes this new way of working. There's no deadline timing for anything that you have to deliver, unless it's a COVID Special, take breaks whenever you want and not have to worry about a colleague having to pick up the kids etc.
It's swings and roundabouts I suppose.
For items posted from Tuesday 31 March 2020 onwards, our guaranteed delivery for Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9.00am the next working day will change to by 12.00pm the next working day*. Our guaranteed delivery for Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1.00pm will change to by 9.00pm the next working day*.
Cucumber wrote:There should have been a review of the different types of shift patterns some time ago. Even if just to look at rotating them. Things have gotten stuck in the mud now and people are set in their ways, unwilling to change from the easy little number they have at the moment. That's certainly the case in my DO.
I've read on here that there's plenty of people liking this new way of working - I doubt very much that they are the ones out until 8-9pm.
I'm one of them who kind of likes this new way of working. There's no deadline timing for anything that you have to deliver, unless it's a COVID Special, take breaks whenever you want and not have to worry about a colleague having to pick up the kids etc.
It's swings and roundabouts I suppose.
For items posted from Tuesday 31 March 2020 onwards, our guaranteed delivery for Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9.00am the next working day will change to by 12.00pm the next working day*. Our guaranteed delivery for Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1.00pm will change to by 9.00pm the next working day*.
Cucumber wrote:There should have been a review of the different types of shift patterns some time ago. Even if just to look at rotating them. Things have gotten stuck in the mud now and people are set in their ways, unwilling to change from the easy little number they have at the moment. That's certainly the case in my DO.
I've read on here that there's plenty of people liking this new way of working - I doubt very much that they are the ones out until 8-9pm.
I'm one of them who kind of likes this new way of working. There's no deadline timing for anything that you have to deliver, unless it's a COVID Special, take breaks whenever you want and not have to worry about a colleague having to pick up the kids etc.
It's swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Yeah me too. I prefer having my own van, doing it my way and in my time. 12.30 starts aren't ideal. But I've got used to a new routine now, doing my own s**t in the mornings, working afternoons then chilling in the evening.
The problem will be when the clocks go back end of October.....
Then will we be out delivering letters in the dark?
CHUCKYPIG wrote:
The problem will be when the clocks go back end of October.....
Then will we be out delivering letters in the dark?
Delivered mail at 7pm in the summer and had no issues except "you're late today or is that the 2nd post".
I've delivered mail at 5pm in December in the dark. Done it once and never again. And this was an average street, not some in the sticks place with no street lights. You cant read letters due to lack of lighting and all sorts of other light related issues. Shouldnt be allowed on the grounds of H&S
Route1 wrote:I've delivered mail at 5pm in December in the dark. Done it once and never again. And this was an average street, not some in the sticks place with no street lights. You cant read letters due to lack of lighting and all sorts of other light related issues. Shouldnt be allowed on the grounds of H&S
On the flip side if we get another wave of corona then you might be required to on the grounds of H&S otherwise you'd have to have everyone in the office at the times they would be had corona never happened and all the van shares back in place
Route1 wrote: You cant read letters due to lack of lighting and all sorts of other light related issues. Shouldnt be allowed on the grounds of H&S
What is wrong with using a torch?
What is wrong with using common sesnse? The reason why we don't use a torch is clear for all to see (pardon the pun). It's so we don't have accidents in trying to see where we are going with uneven paths, steps etc You might also think twice about doing a rough council estate at night when theres loads of druggies, thieves, and yobbo's about. I would rather have a taser than a torch for my own safety.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Concerns about personal safety are different to concerns about it being dark.
We used to deliver at 7 am when it was still dark. We used torches. The sky didn't fall in.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
andyman606 wrote:Back in t day all we needed was a candle on t bike to see in t dark.
Also you are due a late payment for finishing after 8pm. It's not much about £27 per week. Better in your pocket. It's funny how the DOMS don't tell their staff so they can make their budget look good. w*****s.
clashcityrocker wrote:Concerns about personal safety are different to concerns about it being dark.
We used to deliver at 7 am when it was still dark. We used torches. The sky didn't fall in.
Yes, and it got light after about an hour!! Doing a duty starting at gone 5pm winter time you are constantly challenged as it gets darker which leads to both mis-sorts and accidents. I remember as a van driver one Xmas doing night parcel deliveries and you spend ages trying to find house numbers down the street and then even with a torch, trying to find the a parcel amongst dozens in the back. Its really not as easy as you might think.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
postslippete wrote:
Yes, and it got light after about an hour!! Doing a duty starting at gone 5pm winter time you are constantly challenged as it gets darker which leads to both mis-sorts and accidents. I remember as a van driver one Xmas doing night parcel deliveries and you spend ages trying to find house numbers down the street and then even with a torch, trying to find the a parcel amongst dozens in the back. Its really not as easy as you might think.
I can get away house numbers for our office as I kinda remember most of them especially the corner houses. But doing it on a LAT duty at 18:30 on a cold wet windy night looking for house names....