Cedar_Room wrote:Hoping I stay on my single duty for a good while longer. Takes me back to the old days,pre park & loop
If parcels stay at the current levels long term, maybe RM will put in some dedicated packet duties (or at least for SDs so duties don't need to worry about SDs)
When airlines are back up and running,that's when we will probably see the rules relaxed as regards working in shared vans.
I've heard reports that planes could fly with half as many passengers but it's not going to be cost effective for airlines to do this because of fuel costs. The cost of a holiday abroad could be astronomical.
Not a bad thing for the environment I suppose,I'm sat outside and I've never seen the sky look so clear
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Cedar_Room wrote:Hoping I stay on my single duty for a good while longer. Takes me back to the old days,pre park & loop
If parcels stay at the current levels long term, maybe RM will put in some dedicated packet duties (or at least for SDs so duties don't need to worry about SDs)
I hope so. We used to have parcel drivers years ago and it worked quite well. We seem to be getting more larger parcels (about fridge size) through out network and they just don't fit in the smaller vans when you've got your mail bags, trolleys and other parcels as well.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
A crucial element of this is the maintenance of social distancing in the workplace. This may not always be popular, but it is essential for protecting the health and safety of employees until a vaccine becomes available. The suspension of van sharing is a key component of this. Whilst this can cause inconvenience it remains vitally important in containing possible exposure to the virus. LTB may 27th
postslippete wrote:When airlines are back up and running,that's when we will probably see the rules relaxed as regards working in shared vans.
I've heard reports that planes could fly with half as many passengers but it's not going to be cost effective for airlines to do this because of fuel costs. The cost of a holiday abroad could be astronomical.
Not a bad thing for the environment I suppose,I'm sat outside and I've never seen the sky look so clear
If they're flying at 50% load factor they will either not be in business or you're £30 ticket to Majorca is gonna be £100.
You're unlikely to be going to Majorca anyway. Spain has just said that UK tourists aren't going to be invited when it opens its borders again in July, something about the way we're handling this disease worries them.
I'd be surprised if we went back to paired vans. Split shifts will allow them to push the changes they want through, all on the basis of them claiming it's about our health and safety.
It never stopped properly at our place anyway people meeting up the road and jumping on the van plus guys with hcts getting lifts to first point of call.as for social distancing it doesn’t happen often 3 or 4 people sorting literally right next to each other , I have complain to Dom but you might as well talk to the brick wall, absolutely useless
Seymour Buts wrote:I'd be surprised if we went back to paired vans. Split shifts will allow them to push the changes they want through, all on the basis of them claiming it's about our health and safety.
Yes I think they want split shifts it’s pretty much ongoing at our place as Dom says the 3 people coming in at 10-4 will carry on doing so after restriction lifted they are single van duties and heavy on parcels so he prefers them out later
Seymour Buts wrote:I'd be surprised if we went back to paired vans. Split shifts will allow them to push the changes they want through, all on the basis of them claiming it's about our health and safety.
Yes I think they want split shifts it’s pretty much ongoing at our place as Dom says the 3 people coming in at 10-4 will carry on doing so after restriction lifted they are single van duties and heavy on parcels so he prefers them out later
If it suits them then fine as it stands its their choice no one has to change their working times.
With the amount of parcels we have right now van share would be a disaster anyway. Doing my duty by myself is 100% efficient and i barely get back on time, van share was totally inefficient and we would struggle to even get all the parcels in our van.
eldritch1987 wrote:With the amount of parcels we have right now van share would be a disaster anyway. Doing my duty by myself is 100% efficient and i barely get back on time, van share was totally inefficient and we would struggle to even get all the parcels in our van.
Yeah this was always a big problem (pain in the a***) back when we were van sharing, on busy days the number of big parcels alongside the 12+ bags of mail was a nightmare just to be able to fit in the bag of the van, let alone in an easy to access order. I dont think managers/higher ups have any idea that huge amounts of time were being wasted by the simple fact that the vans arent big enough to be carrying that amount.