ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rico

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by Woody Guthrie »

themailman wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Fdeezy see how you feel after 30 years doing this and get back to me
In those 30 years, has the job become harder?
That's a tough question because there's also the issue that it's a s**t company to work for now so it's more of a chore.

There are some aspects that are harder like longer deliveries and later finishes but there are also some things that are easier like later starts, sequenced mail, shared vans and much better pay.

We tend to look at the past with rose tinted glasses but it's always been a tough physical job.

I would say all in all the toughest this job has been was 2000-2005 ish. Huge amounts of mail un-sequenced, sky mags and phone bills dumped in the middle of a duty you didn’t know on your own in the pre-smartphone age.... 6 days a week.
Only dead fish follow the current
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by themailman »

.
Last edited by themailman on 31 Mar 2023, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Rico

Post by Chelseablue »

Rem the newspapers we had piled at our frames , sky mags were a pain too .
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I think one of the worst parts of the job now is not working on your own - it can be extremely difficult working with a partner you don't know/like/ etc.
I suppose that's one of those "each to their own" things, I've never had a long term partner who I didn't enjoy working with although I've had a few idiots as floaters and reserves. I like van share, I like the company and the banter and the fact that if I'm having an off day I've got someone to rely on to concentrate on the important stuff.
Only dead fish follow the current
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by Seymour Buts »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
I think one of the worst parts of the job now is not working on your own - it can be extremely difficult working with a partner you don't know/like/ etc.
I suppose that's one of those "each to their own" things, I've never had a long term partner who I didn't enjoy working with although I've had a few idiots as floaters and reserves. I like van share, I like the company and the banter and the fact that if I'm having an off day I've got someone to rely on to concentrate on the important stuff.
I share this. There is parts of working alone I like, I always find I get round quicker. In a pair there's always gonna be one left standing around coz you're never gonna finish at exactly the same time, it's also easier to sort your van out. My duty is a heavy one and trying to cram all the oversized in for two duties is difficult at times, it can be awkward finding stuff too which costs time. I am missing my partner though. We're good mates and miss the banter and somebody to chat to. I find it difficult to motivate myself to keep going sometimes too without knowing somebody is relying on me to keep going.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by postslippete »

It wasnt always easy years ago. We may only have had 2 or 3 pouches to deliver and fewer packets (although I do remember the sky mags and the freebies we delivered) but I hated those early,early starts. You couldn't stay up at night and one of the worst things was being asked to work all over town with just an A-Z. I would 2 hours just finding the start point. With shared van you don't get that but i don't think it's the most efficient way of working.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by HTPostman »

Chelseablue wrote:Get a ft job somewhere where youlle be happy rather than blame everyone else.
I see you were complaining about the amount of bonus we are getting...guess that’s both of us who should get a job elsewhere then.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Rico

Post by Chelseablue »

I Was actually sticking up for the pts there lol . Touchy little boy
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by HTPostman »

And I was sticking up for the full timers. Grumpy big girl.

Lol
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by HTPostman »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
themailman wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Fdeezy see how you feel after 30 years doing this and get back to me
In those 30 years, has the job become harder?
That's a tough question because there's also the issue that it's a s**t company to work for now so it's more of a chore.

There are some aspects that are harder like longer deliveries and later finishes but there are also some things that are easier like later starts, sequenced mail, shared vans and much better pay.

We tend to look at the past with rose tinted glasses but it's always been a tough physical job.

I would say all in all the toughest this job has been was 2000-2005 ish. Huge amounts of mail un-sequenced, sky mags and phone bills dumped in the middle of a duty you didn’t know on your own in the pre-smartphone age.... 6 days a week.
I agree there. I’ve worked for RM for 2 stints, first time round was just after that period. Nothing sequenced, every bag heavy. Not many parcels but I remember being hammered with recorded letters.

Most will disagree but I find the job easier now. Having a 7 year break from the job gives me a good idea of (in my opinion) how difficult it is compared to before.

Are the rounds longer? Yes. On average in yesteryear I’d be out the door at 9am and done by 2pm, with about 6 bags all weighing the maximum allowed (do they still weigh pouches before going on delivering?). Now on average pre coronavirus it’s 9.45am out the door, 3pm finish. Slightly longer rounds but not as heavy.

And like you say smartphones help. Back then you’d be dropped off in the crew bus at a shop or someones shed then it was good luck. Now at least you’re in a van and have easily available maps to give you a vague idea of where you are.

There’s still a lack of organisation but I have a feeling that will never change.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Rico

Post by krussel »

postslippete wrote:It wasnt always easy years ago. We may only have had 2 or 3 pouches to deliver and fewer packets (although I do remember the sky mags and the freebies we delivered) but I hated those early,early starts. You couldn't stay up at night and one of the worst things was being asked to work all over town with just an A-Z. I would 2 hours just finding the start point. With shared van you don't get that but i don't think it's the most efficient way of working.
It was also 6 days a week for those 5am starts
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Rico

Post by Chelseablue »

The bags were a killer then phone bills gas bills sky mags bulk postings . Getting sent out on new duties every day in the dark not a clue where you are lol wasnt rico then but crozier , leighton etc etc . Two deliveries a day too was 6 days a week too only sunday off.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Rico

Post by daveyeff »

yip. 42 and a half hours at one time i recall.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Rico

Post by GRS »

It is quite hard to actually say whether or not it was easier in days gone by. Naturally you think it was easier but you forget that you were 15/20/30+ years younger then. What makes me laugh is those who weren’t in the job back in those days say “yeah but it was easy back in those days etc etc” when the subject is brought up.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Rico

Post by Chelseablue »

See how the young uns get on 30 yrs from now , will they find the job easy, piece of cake , most of us older ones are now struggling with joint probs etc.