ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
PDA
I also noticed the order of one of the menus has changed - can’t remember off the top of my head which bit it is that has changed but for example whereas deliver to neighbour used to be the top option, it’s now at the bottom of the options. Something like that.
Had a special the other day where no matter what I did, it wouldn’t do anything when I clicked ‘done’ even restarted it (in front of the customer!), for whatever reason when I scanned it and wrote the name etc it wouldn’t let me send.
Maybe it’s tin foil hat time but I’ve often wondered if the changes, useless updates which make it worse, fact you can lose your data with one incorrect tap yet have to tap 3 times to get to the correct screen is all designed to frustrate us.
As far as I know there are no focus groups of posties who can feed back on any issues they have. You’d think say 100 postmen could be asked after every update what works well and what doesn’t then any adjustments made.
Same with D2Ds - I’m surprised B+Q, Farmfoods etc don’t ask us how could their D2Ds be designed better. I wonder if they know they regularly get torn while in the process of going through a letterbox, and when it rains they turn to mush...yes I know most paper does that but sometimes we deliver thinner D2Ds (about 4 inches wide) for a care home which are a little sturdier and stand up to letterboxes and rain.
Had a special the other day where no matter what I did, it wouldn’t do anything when I clicked ‘done’ even restarted it (in front of the customer!), for whatever reason when I scanned it and wrote the name etc it wouldn’t let me send.
Maybe it’s tin foil hat time but I’ve often wondered if the changes, useless updates which make it worse, fact you can lose your data with one incorrect tap yet have to tap 3 times to get to the correct screen is all designed to frustrate us.
As far as I know there are no focus groups of posties who can feed back on any issues they have. You’d think say 100 postmen could be asked after every update what works well and what doesn’t then any adjustments made.
Same with D2Ds - I’m surprised B+Q, Farmfoods etc don’t ask us how could their D2Ds be designed better. I wonder if they know they regularly get torn while in the process of going through a letterbox, and when it rains they turn to mush...yes I know most paper does that but sometimes we deliver thinner D2Ds (about 4 inches wide) for a care home which are a little sturdier and stand up to letterboxes and rain.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
1560loopsayear
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 05 Mar 2019, 18:33
- Gender: Male
PDA
I find that if you take a pregnant pause (a second or two) after you come out of the lock-screen the scanner will usually work - as mentioned the paltry memory and antiquated android version doesn't help the response times. It's been dry of late, but when the driving rain returns this gives the PDA some from of mad-cow disease and it basically runs through menus & selects things on it's own accord.
-
chocolatesaltyballs
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 11 May 2014, 18:31
- Gender: Male
PDA
The TC75 Series delivers reliable operation, even after multiple 8 ft./2.4 m drops to concrete and 2,000 consecutive 3.2 ft./1 m tumbles in our punishing tumble test. With IP65 and IP67 sealing, the TC75 Series is dust-tight and can survive complete immersion in water.
They don't survive complete immersion in water in my experience or at least they don't function afterwards.
They don't survive complete immersion in water in my experience or at least they don't function afterwards.
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3357
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
PDA
Sounds like paradise. Every third for me today: wake up, won't unlock, sleep, wake, unlock, won't scan, sleep, wake, unlock, finally able to scan. 15 seconds of that nonsense multiplied by current packet levels across deliveries nationwide: this is why we can't have the shorter working weekThe Postman wrote:Every second time you wake it up it won't scan. Frustrating.
The machine stops.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
PDA
This has been driving me nuts. Probably costs me 5 minutes a day and shortens my lifespan with the amount of anger it causes me. I now just scan everything before each loop so I don't have to go through having to try to scan each parcel 2 3 or even 4 times!Mr Rush wrote:Sounds like paradise. Every third for me today: wake up, won't unlock, sleep, wake, unlock, won't scan, sleep, wake, unlock, finally able to scan. 15 seconds of that nonsense multiplied by current packet levels across deliveries nationwide: this is why we can't have the shorter working weekThe Postman wrote:Every second time you wake it up it won't scan. Frustrating.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
PDA
IT remotely "rebuilt" the software on all our PDA about a month back, it was done overnight so didn't interfere with normal use but they have not improved.SpacePhoenix wrote:I wonder if IT can remotely do a full refresh of the software in a given PDA. With PCs it can really speed them up whenever Windows gets reinstalled from scratch
Also with so many crashes now it's a pain signing back in when you are on delivery as you can no longer enter 000000000, if you do a regular walk then it's easy to take a copy of the barcode but if you are covering different walks it's easy to forget and you end up stuck without a scanner
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
PDA
What I do with my pda when ai get it each morning is reboot the pda so it turns itself of and on, that normally does the trick for me, I also always but it in a holder over my shoulder that helps a lot and stop it doing things by itself.
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
PDA
try 0000000001 , it bollocks you but it does work.A2B wrote:IT remotely "rebuilt" the software on all our PDA about a month back, it was done overnight so didn't interfere with normal use but they have not improved.SpacePhoenix wrote:I wonder if IT can remotely do a full refresh of the software in a given PDA. With PCs it can really speed them up whenever Windows gets reinstalled from scratch
Also with so many crashes now it's a pain signing back in when you are on delivery as you can no longer enter 000000000, if you do a regular walk then it's easy to take a copy of the barcode but if you are covering different walks it's easy to forget and you end up stuck without a scanner
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
PDA
2yearpostie wrote:try 0000000001 , it bollocks you but it does work.A2B wrote:IT remotely "rebuilt" the software on all our PDA about a month back, it was done overnight so didn't interfere with normal use but they have not improved.SpacePhoenix wrote:I wonder if IT can remotely do a full refresh of the software in a given PDA. With PCs it can really speed them up whenever Windows gets reinstalled from scratch
Also with so many crashes now it's a pain signing back in when you are on delivery as you can no longer enter 000000000, if you do a regular walk then it's easy to take a copy of the barcode but if you are covering different walks it's easy to forget and you end up stuck without a scanner
That doesn't work anymore.