ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Life after Royal Mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Life after Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

HA1 wrote:Another one who couldn't cope with the job so they have to blame someone else.

Not sure if you are projecting or deflecting. :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Life after Royal Mail

Post by blacov »

Navalron wrote:
blacov wrote:If Royal Mail is finished or you will find difficult to put bread on the table relying on the part time contract I will suggest you try to get a courier work with one of RM's competitors. You will already have delivery knowledge and if you manage to land a job near your place of residence or even better around the area where you used to deliver for Royal Mail you should settle down very quickly and there is no such thing like part time courier work. You will get most likely full time hours. You will work most likely from early hours in the morning until pretty late during the busy times.

Parcelforce full time drivers usually start around 6-7am and finish 3-5pm but it depends on the duty they have. Some if not most used to paid SA. Self employed couriers day is a lot harder they were first to come in and usually one of the last to finish but their workload during Xmas was unbelievable.

I am just saying it could be an option.

Are you seriously telling somebody to leave RM even though it's part time to go and work for a courier firm where you get as low as 60p per parcel delivered and if it's not delivered you don't get paid and it's back in your van the next day for another attempt at delivery. And when I say your van, I mean YOUR VAN, as you need to hire a van, pay for fuel ect. And you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no f**k all. And imagine how bad it will be when you get the coronavirus (which the majority of us will need to catch and go through) to get herd immunity when you have no sick pay coming in and you can't claim ssp as a newly qualified self employed person this year. By all means mate go for another job and good luck with that but you would be better, in my humble opinion of staying EXACTLY where you are for the moment because this lockdown ain't going to be over for a couple of years until we get back to beat normality, if we ever do.
I was talking about the likes of parcelforce or dpd where you can get full time contract with all the benefits. I did not mean self employed courier driver where you have nothing but a rate per parcel drop. Otherwise I could not agree more with you.
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

Life after Royal Mail

Post by antcpfc »

Navalron wrote:
blacov wrote:If Royal Mail is finished or you will find difficult to put bread on the table relying on the part time contract I will suggest you try to get a courier work with one of RM's competitors. You will already have delivery knowledge and if you manage to land a job near your place of residence or even better around the area where you used to deliver for Royal Mail you should settle down very quickly and there is no such thing like part time courier work. You will get most likely full time hours. You will work most likely from early hours in the morning until pretty late during the busy times.

Parcelforce full time drivers usually start around 6-7am and finish 3-5pm but it depends on the duty they have. Some if not most used to paid SA. Self employed couriers day is a lot harder they were first to come in and usually one of the last to finish but their workload during Xmas was unbelievable.

I am just saying it could be an option.

Are you seriously telling somebody to leave RM even though it's part time to go and work for a courier firm where you get as low as 60p per parcel delivered and if it's not delivered you don't get paid and it's back in your van the next day for another attempt at delivery. And when I say your van, I mean YOUR VAN, as you need to hire a van, pay for fuel ect. And you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no f**k all. And imagine how bad it will be when you get the coronavirus (which the majority of us will need to catch and go through) to get herd immunity when you have no sick pay coming in and you can't claim ssp as a newly qualified self employed person this year. By all means mate go for another job and good luck with that but you would be better, in my humble opinion of staying EXACTLY where you are for the moment because this lockdown ain't going to be over for a couple of years until we get back to beat normality, if we ever do.
My son does. He can earn £250 for a 12 hour shift.
Slider tool. Lol.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Life after Royal Mail

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

antcpfc wrote:
Navalron wrote:
blacov wrote:If Royal Mail is finished or you will find difficult to put bread on the table relying on the part time contract I will suggest you try to get a courier work with one of RM's competitors. You will already have delivery knowledge and if you manage to land a job near your place of residence or even better around the area where you used to deliver for Royal Mail you should settle down very quickly and there is no such thing like part time courier work. You will get most likely full time hours. You will work most likely from early hours in the morning until pretty late during the busy times.

Parcelforce full time drivers usually start around 6-7am and finish 3-5pm but it depends on the duty they have. Some if not most used to paid SA. Self employed couriers day is a lot harder they were first to come in and usually one of the last to finish but their workload during Xmas was unbelievable.

I am just saying it could be an option.

Are you seriously telling somebody to leave RM even though it's part time to go and work for a courier firm where you get as low as 60p per parcel delivered and if it's not delivered you don't get paid and it's back in your van the next day for another attempt at delivery. And when I say your van, I mean YOUR VAN, as you need to hire a van, pay for fuel ect. And you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no f**k all. And imagine how bad it will be when you get the coronavirus (which the majority of us will need to catch and go through) to get herd immunity when you have no sick pay coming in and you can't claim ssp as a newly qualified self employed person this year. By all means mate go for another job and good luck with that but you would be better, in my humble opinion of staying EXACTLY where you are for the moment because this lockdown ain't going to be over for a couple of years until we get back to beat normality, if we ever do.
My son does. He can earn £250 for a 12 hour shift.
Net or Gross?
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Life after Royal Mail

Post by sindba »

I was astonished when I joined Royal Mail, how insane it all was.

Simple requests like " boss can I start late next Thursday, - docs appt / new boiler installed". "Can I have next Monday off, got a wedding this weekend", ""can I book a week off next month for a mates holiday"

In the real world these are routine, but in Royal Mail the answer is always no and you have play the system.

It's a horrible place to work, and getting worse by the day. If you can get out, get out.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Life after Royal Mail

Post by Tman »

sindba wrote:I was astonished when I joined Royal Mail, how insane it all was.
Simple requests like " boss can I start late next Thursday, - docs appt / new boiler installed". "Can I have next Monday off, got a wedding this weekend", ""can I book a week off next month for a mates holiday"
In the real world these are routine, but in Royal Mail the answer is always no and you have play the system.
.
In any world these requests are routine, and in any world the boss(es) can and will say no, mainly down to the manager's desire to keep it all working smoothly rather than attempting to accommodate all the daily mundane requests of some members of staff.
Or do you think outside "in the real world" such requests are always granted...? :crazy:
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Life after Royal Mail

Post by postslippete »

If ever I needed a day off I just find someone to swap with as it's a whole lot easier than asking management. Then again I suppose it's how cooperative your depot and your work colleagues are.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

Life after Royal Mail

Post by antcpfc »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
antcpfc wrote:
Navalron wrote:
blacov wrote:If Royal Mail is finished or you will find difficult to put bread on the table relying on the part time contract I will suggest you try to get a courier work with one of RM's competitors. You will already have delivery knowledge and if you manage to land a job near your place of residence or even better around the area where you used to deliver for Royal Mail you should settle down very quickly and there is no such thing like part time courier work. You will get most likely full time hours. You will work most likely from early hours in the morning until pretty late during the busy times.

Parcelforce full time drivers usually start around 6-7am and finish 3-5pm but it depends on the duty they have. Some if not most used to paid SA. Self employed couriers day is a lot harder they were first to come in and usually one of the last to finish but their workload during Xmas was unbelievable.

I am just saying it could be an option.

Are you seriously telling somebody to leave RM even though it's part time to go and work for a courier firm where you get as low as 60p per parcel delivered and if it's not delivered you don't get paid and it's back in your van the next day for another attempt at delivery. And when I say your van, I mean YOUR VAN, as you need to hire a van, pay for fuel ect. And you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no f**k all. And imagine how bad it will be when you get the coronavirus (which the majority of us will need to catch and go through) to get herd immunity when you have no sick pay coming in and you can't claim ssp as a newly qualified self employed person this year. By all means mate go for another job and good luck with that but you would be better, in my humble opinion of staying EXACTLY where you are for the moment because this lockdown ain't going to be over for a couple of years until we get back to beat normality, if we ever do.
My son does. He can earn £250 for a 12 hour shift.
Net or Gross?
Gross. His fuel cost s than£10 a day.He is self employed so after taxes, etc he probably sees £175.Thats three rounds without some paying £1 a parcel. Money is good but obviously no sick pay and you need someone else to cover you when off
Slider tool. Lol.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Life after Royal Mail

Post by Chelseablue »

My other half thought bout leaving rm last yr only a few years left though in rm . Aldi and lidl pay gd money and treat staff ok same as costco.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Life after Royal Mail

Post by sindba »

Tman wrote:
sindba wrote:I was astonished when I joined Royal Mail, how insane it all was.
Simple requests like " boss can I start late next Thursday, - docs appt / new boiler installed". "Can I have next Monday off, got a wedding this weekend", ""can I book a week off next month for a mates holiday"
In the real world these are routine, but in Royal Mail the answer is always no and you have play the system.
.
In any world these requests are routine, and in any world the boss(es) can and will say no, mainly down to the manager's desire to keep it all working smoothly rather than attempting to accommodate all the daily mundane requests of some members of staff.
Or do you think outside "in the real world" such requests are always granted...? :crazy:
I've done many jobs mate, and in all of them managers will always accommodate routine requests for shift changes, time off etc best they can.

Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Life after Royal Mail

Post by Tman »

sindba wrote:
Tman wrote:
sindba wrote: Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.
That's an opinion rather than fact (unless you believe nasty vindictive bosses exist only in RM)
David walters
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 44
Joined: 17 Jan 2017, 19:22
Gender: Male

Life after Royal Mail

Post by David walters »

Hi I totally agree.i finished 2 yrs ago best thing I’ve done from the d.o.m to the Lino’s and the back stabing bum licking so called work mates after 24 years of s**t I escaped from it all
Sugar
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 431
Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
Gender: Female

Life after Royal Mail

Post by Sugar »

David walters wrote:Hi I totally agree.i finished 2 yrs ago best thing I’ve done from the d.o.m to the Lino’s and the back stabing bum licking so called work mates after 24 years of s**t I escaped from it all
Made my day to see someone with the same opinion. Did nearly as long as you and was starting to think my feelings towards the place were just bitterness and resentfulness.
Tman wrote:In any world these requests are routine, and in any world the boss(es) can and will say no, mainly down to the manager's desire to keep it all working smoothly rather than attempting to accommodate all the daily mundane requests of some members of staff.
Or do you think outside "in the real world" such requests are always granted...? :crazy:
Pre 2 to a van requests were more than likely granted as there was a lot more give and take. Post 2 to a van managers became complete ar$eholes on a more regular basis unless of course it was to accommodate their favourites.
sindba wrote:Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.


Only place I've worked were management try to sack people as soon as they've started the job.
Tman wrote:
sindba wrote:
Tman wrote:
sindba wrote: Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.
That's an opinion rather than fact (unless you believe nasty vindictive bosses exist only in RM)
Talking from experience there are substantially more vindictive nasty minded "bosses" in royal fail. You might not be/been but 90-95% of the ones I had dealings with and witnessed were. And going off of conversations I'd had over the years with various union reps they were all the ones who'd spent time learning to be a manager under the guidance of other nasty minded vindictive managers. As the saying goes "an apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

Face it royal fails biggest failing is its inability or refusal to deal with its piss poor egotistical managers. You only have to look at the amount of posts on here or social media over the years to see that its not just hearsay but fact. Royal fail are happy to bring posties in for "bringing the company into disrepute" for saying it as it is online but you never hear of royal fail actually reaching out to someone who's posted up how s**t their lives are being made by some twat of a manager(s) and investigating it.

The grievance procedure is a load of bollocks so a lot of staff just suffer in silence. Fact!
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Life after Royal Mail

Post by Tman »

I don't doubt all that is true, but the OP was harking back (or looking forward) to some mythical world outside of RM where the boss never says no.
"Grass is greener etc"
paggis
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Mar 2008, 19:01

Life after Royal Mail

Post by paggis »

i got out of royal mail 18 months ago and just wish i had made the move earlier. its nice not to have to go to work ready for augments with managers every day!