ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trolleys

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Trolleys

Post by Route1 »

osgoody1970 wrote:Everyone should tell their managers on Saturday, “as from Monday I will be using a trolley”, and they should also be informed, I will bring back any mail that I cannot deliver in my duty time, any postie knows, the use of a trolley, will slow you down enormously, the arguments I had with planners when we had to plan longer walks, was unbelievable, I said to them,” if you went to a solicitor for advice on the law, would you argue with him” no, so why are you arguing with me!! I,m the professional here, I know these walks, you don,t, lost the argument, walks went in, trolleys not used to this day, the time for goodwill is over, Rico back ensured that.
The trolley does take a wee bit longer but not by much. It makes the job feel lighter and I've found im not as tired if i use a trolley. Thats just my experience. To the folk that snare at trolley users, you're a mule helping out rico if your bags are heavy.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Trolleys

Post by clashcityrocker »

SpacePhoenix wrote: I wonder how many hours have been taken our around the country with delivery staff not using the trolleys when they were meant to
I know the answer to that one.
Not a single hour because duties aren't planned on the basis of non adherence to the mandatory use of equipment.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
redwomble
Posts: 7
Joined: 30 Oct 2019, 17:43
Gender: Male

Trolleys

Post by redwomble »

Speaking as a driver, working on a shared van duty with a walker who refuses to cooperate and use a LWT is infuriating on busy days. You end up being given a mountain of packages that wont fit in their single bag, with both parties knowing full well that you as the driver will never have time to do them between the loops. This is usually followed by a dirty look when you dare to confront them about it, followed by them meandering very slowly and sheepishly around their loop as if to say "well I didn't have time to do them either" :roll:

Shared van duties work fine if you have two like-minded people working together who sensibly divide the workload, but this usually only happens if people agree to use their LWT :thumbup
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Trolleys

Post by fb1969 »

It doesn't matter if the trolley takes longer, it doesn't matter if the trolley is quicker. Using a trolley is the way the job has been timed to do. What is the point of trying to do it quicker? If its the "correct" way to do it, then that's the way it is done.


@redwomble above - fully agree with you. I have worked with my current partner for a few years now. We both know all the loops as we have both been driver and walker, so we know what each of us is up against etc. I am usually the walker and will always see if there is anything I can take off the driver, we work together to get it done. But when one of us is off the other is often partnered with a different person every day and at least half of them refuse to use a trolley. Some set off with two bags on their shoulders, some then dump one of the bags in a driveway and wander off with the other bag. Seeing them walking off unsteadily due to the uneven load, or struggling trough gates because they are so wide - I can only wonder how they think it is a better way!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Trolleys

Post by Chelseablue »

eastie wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Great post osgoody. Everyone if u didnt before should use trolleys now . Do the job the way they asked ,catch anyone running tell em to wise up .
Its too bloody late now. No good using a trolley now , should have used one when they 1st came out and we wouldn't be in this state now
Never too late to start doing job properly . Wish there was trolleys in the 1990s .
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

Trolleys

Post by Gasman11 »

LWTs are sound, easier to locate and retrieve parcels from your bag and handy to put your bundle of mail back into a bag to free up both hands when writing out a 739.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Trolleys

Post by Celgar »

Chelseablue wrote:Celgar you could run with youre trolley,,, are you stupid? Virtually nobody uses a trolley , youlle find a good fee ppl do .
I was just emphasizing the point that trolleys do not slow you down. Slowing us down seems to be the main excuse for not using an LWT . The other two main excuses are perceived security reasons or that there isn't space in the van.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Trolleys

Post by krussel »

I started using a LWT for loops for about 18 months now after some back pain.

Maybe a little slower if you delivery to close houses as you cannot cut through. However the flip side is that as you can take 2 pouches you need less trips back to reload.

Once you get past the pain barrier and realise that there is no point in rushing back and get used to the weight off your shoulder / back YOU WONT want to go back to carrying pouches.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
01@dandtB!
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 May 2020, 15:37
Gender: Male

Trolleys

Post by 01@dandtB! »

osgoody1970 wrote:Everyone should tell their managers on Saturday, “as from Monday I will be using a trolley”, and they should also be informed, I will bring back any mail that I cannot deliver in my duty time, any postie knows, the use of a trolley, will slow you down enormously, the arguments I had with planners when we had to plan longer walks, was unbelievable, I said to them,” if you went to a solicitor for advice on the law, would you argue with him” no, so why are you arguing with me!! I,m the professional here, I know these walks, you don,t, lost the argument, walks went in, trolleys not used to this day, the time for goodwill is over, Rico back ensured that.
The trouble is if the pda’s show you’re working at a reasonable pace outdoors and they will say you’re not working quick enough indoors. ie possible conduct charge.
al64
Posts: 102
Joined: 04 Sep 2008, 16:45
Gender: Male

Trolleys

Post by al64 »

I do not understand why anyone would not use a trolley, It makes very little difference time wise and you have do a lot less packet drops in the van, I find it much less tireing on my body and have always used them as does my partner, I am not going to screw my body just to save half an hour over my delivery :d'oh! :d'oh! :d'oh!
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Trolleys

Post by daveyeff »

Chelseablue wrote:
eastie wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Great post osgoody. Everyone if u didnt before should use trolleys now . Do the job the way they asked ,catch anyone running tell em to wise up .
Its too bloody late now. No good using a trolley now , should have used one when they 1st came out and we wouldn't be in this state now
Never too late to start doing job properly . Wish there was trolleys in the 1990s .
so do i. me knees wouldn't be cattled.