ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Key workers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Key workers

Post by norris9 »

-I am happy to be out the house and in the sunny weather for 4 to 5 hours.

-I am happy that the company I work for isn't shutdown and at risk of going bust so I still have a job.

-I wouldn't mind a gesture of goodwill from RM for working during this time. Especially if they are seeing increased profits.

-But maybe it's more likely it will be the customers that offer the gesture of goodwill with more generous Xmas tips this year.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Key workers

Post by norris9 »

We are key workers for obvious reasons. Imagine you were one of these people stuck indoors with no work and you could not buy anything but food online. These people would all be saying:

"Why aren't there any deliveries happening?, I want my video game, my letters, my NHS medicine, my child's birthday presents, my driver's licence, my passport, my new laptop, my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!, my light bulbs otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing as they have died, my contact lenses otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing either, I work for the NHS and need to drive to work but can't as I cannaeee seeeee !, I am trying to sell something on ebay to make some money as I am skint because of coronavirus and I can't even send it!!!! why the hell have deliveries been abandoned! why ohh why! this is madness, I cannot do anything. I run an online etsy store but can't send any goods so I have no business and no income - I will starve! I am a solicitor and I can't send my client any important documents!!! What if I need something essential for my disabled daughter!!!!!!! - who decided to switch off the delivery services!!!!!!!!"

....... these are the kinds of things people like you would be saying.
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by hero22 »

Munchboii wrote:
pinstripe wrote:The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.
This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.
His argument makes a lot of sense , not really sure what 30 years ago has got to do with it. As you say supermarkets stay open and we deliver mail. We are also low skilled and replaceable.
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Key workers

Post by pinstripe »

Munchboii wrote:
pinstripe wrote:The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.
This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.
I suggest that you actually read the post
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by hero22 »

norris9 wrote:We are key workers for obvious reasons. Imagine you were one of these people stuck indoors with no work and you could not buy anything but food online. These people would all be saying:

"Why aren't there any deliveries happening?, I want my video game, my letters, my NHS medicine, my child's birthday presents, my driver's licence, my passport, my new laptop, my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!, my light bulbs otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing as they have died, my contact lenses otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing either, I work for the NHS and need to drive to work but can't as I cannaeee seeeee !, I am trying to sell something on ebay to make some money as I am skint because of coronavirus and I can't even send it!!!! why the hell have deliveries been abandoned! why ohh why! this is madness, I cannot do anything. I run an online etsy store but can't send any goods so I have no business and no income - I will starve! I am a solicitor and I can't send my client any important documents!!! What if I need something essential for my disabled daughter!!!!!!! - who decided to switch off the delivery services!!!!!!!!"

....... these are the kinds of things people like you would be saying.
Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Key workers

Post by pinstripe »

They are stuck indoors to prevent the spread of covid19. It isn’t difficult to understand. I guess some people just want to have an argument.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by blacov »

hero22 wrote:
norris9 wrote:We are key workers for obvious reasons. Imagine you were one of these people stuck indoors with no work and you could not buy anything but food online. These people would all be saying:

"Why aren't there any deliveries happening?, I want my video game, my letters, my NHS medicine, my child's birthday presents, my driver's licence, my passport, my new laptop, my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!, my light bulbs otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing as they have died, my contact lenses otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing either, I work for the NHS and need to drive to work but can't as I cannaeee seeeee !, I am trying to sell something on ebay to make some money as I am skint because of coronavirus and I can't even send it!!!! why the hell have deliveries been abandoned! why ohh why! this is madness, I cannot do anything. I run an online etsy store but can't send any goods so I have no business and no income - I will starve! I am a solicitor and I can't send my client any important documents!!! What if I need something essential for my disabled daughter!!!!!!! - who decided to switch off the delivery services!!!!!!!!"

....... these are the kinds of things people like you would be saying.
Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.
Spot on.

Royal Mail as soon coronavirus situation is more under control, is clearly slowing down and there is less pressure from government. Rico and his directors will be back to do what have already planned.
What bothers me the most is the attitude of Royal Mail while we are in the thick of pandemic. Surely the revenue must be very healthy now and even taking into account the increased sickness payment they are in comfortable position financially. This is why I am upset that we are working flat out all week long delivering packets to people mostly just enjoying the weather and extra time off in their gardens having no protection and no incentive at all. Even the overtime are severely reduced.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by SpacePhoenix »

hero22 wrote:Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.
I guess that you've not been paying attention to the news, the UK is under LOCKDOWN all the shops that would sell that sort of thing are CLOSED.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=UK+lockdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by hero22 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
hero22 wrote:Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.
I guess that you've not been paying attention to the news, the UK is under LOCKDOWN all the shops that would sell that sort of thing are CLOSED.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=UK+lockdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your Tesco/sansburys must be s**t cause apart from passports I can get anyone of those items in it. I have been paying attention and have also heard please buy essential items. Is a video game an essential item ?

Your a supporter of a large chunk of the population getting paid to sit at home, purchase what they want online and increase our chances of being exposed ?
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by hero22 »

[quote="pinstripe"]They are stuck indoors to prevent the spread of covid19. It isn’t difficult to understand. I guess some people just want to have an argument.

There is no argument why people are stuck indoors, to prevent the spread. I think this started out with why are we seen as essential workers which some of us disagree with and some of us agree with. Its strange times and while there are things we deliver that are essential and I feel I'm actually contributing in a positive way, there are mass amounts of junk coming through which is blatantly selfish to buy during these times in my OPINION.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by Seymour Buts »

blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.
I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.

Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.
I hate to break it to those 'furloughed', many won't have jobs to go back to; the unemployment after all this is gonna be eye watering. The government is doing the exact opposite of what any government would do in normal times of recession, deliberately sucking growth out of the economy.

Yes it's not ideal working in the current climate, but keeping the company going is far better in the long term.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by SpacePhoenix »

hero22 wrote: Your Tesco/sansburys must be s**t cause apart from passports I can get anyone of those items in it. I have been paying attention and have also heard please buy essential items. Is a video game an essential item ?

Your a supporter of a large chunk of the population getting paid to sit at home, purchase what they want online and increase our chances of being exposed ?
Why would someone be going online to get a passport? Once this is all over chances are that unemployment is going to shoot up, with a lot less people having money for going abroad on holiday.

Apart from "express stores" Tescos/Sainsburys/Asdas have sold things like CDs, games, DVDs for over a decade, do keep up.

Some things people will have pre-orderd from sites months ago. People have birthdays where they'd buy things like CDs, games and DVDs.

If someone doesn't have a garden then they can't do much apart from watch TV (crappy at the best of times these days) or watch DVDs/Blurays or play games
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Key workers

Post by k979aaa »

Seymour Buts wrote:
blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.
I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.

Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.
I hate to break it to those 'furloughed', many won't have jobs to go back to; the unemployment after all this is gonna be eye watering. The government is doing the exact opposite of what any government would do in normal times of recession, deliberately sucking growth out of the economy.

Yes it's not ideal working in the current climate, but keeping the company going is far better in the long term.
Well as long as your not one of the one's who will die in doing so but some in the company are at more risk than others!
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by tractorboy2 »

We only deliver expired passports anyway. The last time I renewed mine it was delivered by courier , my expired one was returned by RM.
Fdeezy
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 21:12
Gender: Male

Key workers

Post by Fdeezy »

norris9 wrote:my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!
We've had to get used to a lot over the past few months, but this is a step too far norris. Don't joke about such things.