ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Public appreciation

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by Celgar »

One of my customers gave me half a dozen eggs last week too and had a thank you card from another one today. Not like the people at the top of RM leaching off us who couldn't give a **** about any of us.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by tractorboy2 »

How long can the virus live on eggshells ?
Startingover
Posts: 48
Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by Startingover »

I've been given rhubarb! Not sure if there were any connotations with this? However, just the thought given by the customer was appreciated.

AND my wife made a really lovely rhubarb crumble!
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by DiamondSmiles »

Startingover wrote:I've been given rhubarb! Not sure if there were any connotations with this? However, just the thought given by the customer was appreciated.

AND my wife made a really lovely rhubarb crumble!
Did you get a tub of custard powder with it?
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Public appreciation

Post by mjd24 »

Two cans of coke and a bag of sweets left for me with a nice note today.

Also had an oven tray outside a door with a note saying “leave post on tray, we bake in oven to sterilise”!!!
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Public appreciation

Post by twoloops »

Have to admit getting a bit fed up of people wanting to wave & talk to me, like to get in & out & gone, can't be doing with this insane chit chat malarkey, phone your family or get back to watching telly or something :coolr
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by 2yearpostie »

Theres only one thanks i want, STOP ORDERING UNNEEDED CRAP AT THE MOMENT!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by Dorset Plodder »

2yearpostie wrote:Theres only one thanks i want, STOP ORDERING UNNEEDED CRAP AT THE MOMENT!
I know what you mean. I often have to bite my tongue when I turn up at a house that's got pictures of Rainbows in the window saying "Thank You Postman for Delivering our Parcels" and the Mum opens the door and says, "Thanks for carrying on working" :speak to the hand

You really feel like saying, "If you really appreciate what we're doing will you please stop ordering so much crap"! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by hero22 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Theres only one thanks i want, STOP ORDERING UNNEEDED CRAP AT THE MOMENT!
I know what you mean. I often have to bite my tongue when I turn up at a house that's got pictures of Rainbows in the window saying "Thank You Postman for Delivering our Parcels" and the Mum opens the door and says, "Thanks for carrying on working" :speak to the hand

You really feel like saying, "If you really appreciate what we're doing will you please stop ordering so much crap"! :cuppa

:Applause
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Public appreciation

Post by norris9 »

twoloops wrote:Have to admit getting a bit fed up of people wanting to wave & talk to me, like to get in & out & gone, can't be doing with this insane chit chat malarkey, phone your family or get back to watching telly or something :coolr
Same. So many people going for walks too and want to say hello and chat. I just want to get on and finish on time and not spend my time having small talk. You are supposed to be out for exercise not to slow me down telling me how wonderful the weather is.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Public appreciation

Post by Janet Brum »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Theres only one thanks i want, STOP ORDERING UNNEEDED CRAP AT THE MOMENT!
I know what you mean. I often have to bite my tongue when I turn up at a house that's got pictures of Rainbows in the window saying "Thank You Postman for Delivering our Parcels" and the Mum opens the door and says, "Thanks for carrying on working" :speak to the hand

You really feel like saying, "If you really appreciate what we're doing will you please stop ordering so much crap"! :cuppa
When I`m being asked if I`m ok, I always say: I`m fine, thanks, only very tired of delivering so many parcels, it`s worse than last Christmas :arrrghhh

Many get it, they look embarrassed, I really hope they`ll slow down with the crazy online buying :coolr
bucks123
Posts: 64
Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 05:35
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by bucks123 »

Janet Brum wrote: Many get it, they look embarrassed, I really hope they`ll slow down with the crazy online buying :coolr
I agree although I do wonder about the finances of RM with the mail volumes being down so much over the last month. The volume of packets may be the thing that keeps us in a job (or at least reduces the impact on us when RM get back to their master plan).
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Public appreciation

Post by GRS »

Janet Brum wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:Theres only one thanks i want, STOP ORDERING UNNEEDED CRAP AT THE MOMENT!
I know what you mean. I often have to bite my tongue when I turn up at a house that's got pictures of Rainbows in the window saying "Thank You Postman for Delivering our Parcels" and the Mum opens the door and says, "Thanks for carrying on working" :speak to the hand

You really feel like saying, "If you really appreciate what we're doing will you please stop ordering so much crap"! :cuppa
When I`m being asked if I`m ok, I always say: I`m fine, thanks, only very tired of delivering so many parcels, it`s worse than last Christmas :arrrghhh

Many get it, they look embarrassed, I really hope they`ll slow down with the crazy online buying :coolr

Yeah great idea!!!!! Let’s all go round with loud hailers telling the public not to order online or send any letters. Then we can all sit at home out of work. Absolutely astounds me that people so many people in RM wish there wasn’t any work. Must be the only company on earth where this mentality prevails. It isn’t just at this time it’s happening ..... it’s a day in day out, month in month out, year in year out mentality where people turn up hoping there’s no work. Very odd!!
Caesar
Posts: 234
Joined: 22 Nov 2018, 12:23
Gender: Male

Public appreciation

Post by Caesar »

GRS wrote:

Yeah great idea!!!!! Let’s all go round with loud hailers telling the public not to order online or send any letters. Then we can all sit at home out of work. Absolutely astounds me that people so many people in RM wish there wasn’t any work. Must be the only company on earth where this mentality prevails. It isn’t just at this time it’s happening ..... it’s a day in day out, month in month out, year in year out mentality where people turn up hoping there’s no work. Very odd!!
I am on AL at the moment and can understand why people are ordering on line. Not being able to go out means that you have to fill your time, for some it will be DIY or hobbies and often supplies will be needed. My partner is purchasing items to entertain our young son.
I myself don't mind delivering items and actually feel that I'm helping people get through these strange times, plus I've never received so much appreciation while working for RM.
I do think differently to the majority on here, I accept that this pandemic is serious but I don't agree with the way it's being managed.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Public appreciation

Post by GRS »

Caesar wrote:
GRS wrote:

Yeah great idea!!!!! Let’s all go round with loud hailers telling the public not to order online or send any letters. Then we can all sit at home out of work. Absolutely astounds me that people so many people in RM wish there wasn’t any work. Must be the only company on earth where this mentality prevails. It isn’t just at this time it’s happening ..... it’s a day in day out, month in month out, year in year out mentality where people turn up hoping there’s no work. Very odd!!
I am on AL at the moment and can understand why people are ordering on line. Not being able to go out means that you have to fill your time, for some it will be DIY or hobbies and often supplies will be needed. My partner is purchasing items to entertain our young son.
I myself don't mind delivering items and actually feel that I'm helping people get through these strange times, plus I've never received so much appreciation while working for RM.
I do think differently to the majority on here, I accept that this pandemic is serious but I don't agree with the way it's being managed.
As you say it’s obvious that in the world we live in nowadays people are going to order more and more online. Couple that up with people unable to get to the shops at the mo and it’s obvious why we’re handling so much stuff. It just amazes me to see people’s views on it on here! They’re either very naive, thick or as I suspect just work shy. I’m the same as you in that I have think entirely differently to many on here. Doesn’t mean I’m right and they’re wrong or vice versa. Personally I’m enjoying it at the mo - on staggered start time so going in later, plenty to keep me busy, 99.9% of people are in so easy to get rid of stuff, the public are being very pleasant and pleased to see you, getting a full wage while others have to worry about their future employment. I’d rather all of that than stuck at home scratching around for things to do.