ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Concerned villagers launch petition against possible postal sorting office closure

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Concerned villagers launch petition against possible postal sorting office closure

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.northsomersettimes.co.uk/ne ... -1-6554452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Residents of a North Somerset village have launched a petition against the closure of their Royal Mail sorting office.

In February, this newspaper reported that Royal Mail had plans to shut the sorting office in Yatton, which it denied - despite claims that management held meetings with employees confirming the move.

Riannon Martinson, who created the petition, said respondents were worried about the knock-on effects for the post office, considered by many to be a 'community hub'.

She said: 'With Yatton and the surrounding villages growing in size, taking away yet another valued service is simply ridiculous, and I sincerely hope Royal Mail takes that into consideration.'

In the event of a closure, villagers would have to use the sorting office in Clevedon.

The petition, which has reached more than 2,000 signatures, states: 'There are huge concerns that losing the Royal Mail business will put the counter service in jeopardy, and our growing community of 9,000 people - already without a bank - cannot afford to lose such a vital lifeline and community hub.

'The services that will be moved to Sixways in Clevedon will not be accessible to many of the most vulnerable within our community, as there are no public transport links.'

North Somerset councillor Steve Bridger said the village could not afford to lose the business.

He said: 'The post office provides vital services to the community. We don't have a bank, and 94 per cent of the people use the post office regularly.

'I don't think anything is likely to happen now before April because I know a meeting is taking place in early April.

'The online petition has reached 2,000 signatures - there's a lot of concerns in the village.

'I don't know whether they will change their decision. We're putting pressure on the online petition.

'We can't afford to lose the business in Yatton, it's growing.

'There are 9,000 people, effectively. It's more than just a post office - it is a community hub.

'We are hopeful they will reconsider.'

A spokesman for Royal Mail said: 'There is nothing to report at this stage - discussions are still ongoing.

'A meeting is due to be rescheduled - but I can't confirm when, at this time.'

To sign the petition, visit http://www.bit.ly/3aiK2to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Concerned villagers launch petition against possible postal sorting office closure

Post by Celgar »

I fully agree that villages need something like a community shop at the very least and preferably some kind of banking service and/or a post office service. Unfortunately if RM decide they want to close down or relocate their sites it is highly unlikely although not impossible to stop this happening. I would suggest getting the support of your local MP etc which would provide some leverage.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.