ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Mail is down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
exetererica
Posts: 152
Joined: 07 Nov 2010, 11:21
Gender: Male

The Mail is actually up!

Post by exetererica »

.
Last edited by exetererica on 20 Apr 2020, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

The Mail is down

Post by norris9 »

Last 2 weeks have been busy. Even Saturdays. For me Saturday has been the worst day of the week for the past 2 weeks.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

The Mail is actually up!

Post by Tman »

exetererica wrote:It's worrying how many on here actually believe that mail volumes are down. :no no
So all the MC's which have closed or amalgamated over the last few years, and all the MPU's that have reverted to being DO's have all been some sort of mirage then?
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

The Mail is actually up!

Post by DGH »

Tman wrote:
So all the MC's which have closed or amalgamated over the last few years, and all the MPU's that have reverted to being DO's have all been some sort of mirage then?
The mail has unquestionably dropped (as have door to doors - just because some weeks you get a lot doesn't compensate for the many other weeks where there's none or just one or two)

However our rounds have got bigger more or less in inverse proportion to that fall.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

The Mail is down

Post by norris9 »

From my experience I'd say homes on average have post 4 days of the week. It's rare that you come across a house that has 2 or less visits a week.

There is one house that I can think of which I very rarely have to go to, I always walk past it thinking 'I like these people'....haha, although I need people to be getting post so I have a job.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Tinoblade »

norris9 wrote:From my experience I'd say homes on average have post 4 days of the week. It's rare that you come across a house that has 2 or less visits a week.

There is one house that I can think of which I very rarely have to go to, I always walk past it thinking 'I like these people'....haha, although I need people to be getting post so I have a job.
I know, I'm probably doing myself out of a job. All I get is payslip and council/car tax etc That's it. I have no idea how some people get mail everyday
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by hero22 »

Tinoblade wrote:
norris9 wrote:From my experience I'd say homes on average have post 4 days of the week. It's rare that you come across a house that has 2 or less visits a week.

There is one house that I can think of which I very rarely have to go to, I always walk past it thinking 'I like these people'....haha, although I need people to be getting post so I have a job.
I know, I'm probably doing myself out of a job. All I get is payslip and council/car tax etc That's it. I have no idea how some people get mail everyday
I was the same mate but changed my bank and credit cards to mail statements just to add some mail to the system lol.
jack~jack
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 Mar 2014, 10:04
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by jack~jack »

Why are royal mail buying bigger vans if mail is down? When I started 20 years ago, my walk fitted in 4 pouches, two deliveries and I finished at 11. Now it's a full van, one delivery and I finish at 3.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Celgar »

As an average figure across the whole of the UK the amount of mail will be 'down'. This is only an average figure though so some areas will have significantly more of less mail or parcels than other areas. Likewise some walks in individual offices will have more of less letters or parcels than other walks in the same office. In short you have to take everything coming out of RM executives mouths with a hefty pinch of salt or better still put your fingers in your ears.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by eastie »

1 D2D or 6 D2D doesn't make any difference to a walk but adding another 80 calls definatly does. Just because they say mail is down 8% doesn't mean you have to increase the walk by the same percentage and finish the same time.
Plus taking the large parcels away and adding 80 extra calls is taking away the large parcels and replacing them with more parcels from the additional calls .
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:As an average figure across the whole of the UK the amount of mail will be 'down'. This is only an average figure though so some areas will have significantly more of less mail or parcels than other areas. Likewise some walks in individual offices will have more of less letters or parcels than other walks in the same office. In short you have to take everything coming out of RM executives mouths with a hefty pinch of salt or better still put your fingers in your ears.
Mech letters are a fair bit down. I just need to look at the batches that I run through the CSS. If you exclude xmas pressure and any times when there's a bulk posting, it's rare now to hit the target number of items per batch. It dropped a lot when the GDPR regs kicked in. Manual letters have dropped off a lot as well, often only a couple of staff needed for them. Flats have also dropped off a bit.

With the coronavirus affecting things there's been a noticeable drop in packets (both Tracked and non-Tracked). The Chinese packets would probably have been at least 10 sleeves worth per day
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Ren Hoëk »

eastie wrote:1 D2D or 6 D2D doesn't make any difference to a walk but adding another 80 calls definatly does. Just because they say mail is down 8% doesn't mean you have to increase the walk by the same percentage and finish the same time.
Plus taking the large parcels away and adding 80 extra calls is taking away the large parcels and replacing them with more parcels from the additional calls .
6 D2Ds takes considerably longer to prep into a frame than 1. Some of us had 6 last week and it definitely effects the walk. Depending what you've got it can make for very heavy bags.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Dorset Plodder »

hero22 wrote:
Tinoblade wrote:
I know, I'm probably doing myself out of a job. All I get is payslip and council/car tax etc That's it. I have no idea how some people get mail everyday
I was the same mate but changed my bank and credit cards to mail statements just to add some mail to the system lol.



Yep ... It may be a Spit in the Ocean mate, but EVERY time I get asked things like, "Shall I e-mail you the details"? I simply say "No Thank You send me it in the post"! :thumbup If every Postie encouraged their Friends, Family & Customers to do it we'd soon have a lot more paper in the system. I spend quite a bit of time convincing Older Customers that they're NOT saving the Amazon Rainforest by going paperless ... they're saving all the Banks & Institutes Postage Charges. :thumbdown Most of the paper in our Households & Magazines comes from Renewable, or Recycled sources. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by hero22 »

Completely agree mate. Been telling the family all to do the same.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Seymour Buts »

I still find in bizarre some people believe mail volumes declining is some kind of conspiracy. Imagine life before the internet compared to now. No emails, no electronic transactions ect ect. At one time if you were on the dole you literally had to wait for your cheque to come through the post. Every credit card transaction had to be mailed. Every job you applied for had to done via post. Every phone bill. Virtually all are now paperless, even certain mortgages are now.