Why would he track where you are, if he wanted to know where you are he could of phoned you on the pda. So now it makes no difference if you have a phone or not.Celgar wrote:The DOM is not meant to do it but they can track your, or rather the location of the PDA, in real time if they want or needed to. Our previous DOM did it once when they needed to find me as I don't own or have a mobile phone.
I hadn't noticed that white dot thing on the notifications but those things are always getting in my way on the screen and I keep swiping them out of the way.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
-
DICKIEG
- Posts: 158
- Joined: 27 Jun 2011, 19:07
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
It will & does track your speed, the sort of software used is comparable to any walking, running or cycling app avaliable on your phone which tracks everything from stops, speed & can even show the route you take in great detail.fatty2017 wrote:The Pda's track the route you take and the overall duration of the route, it picks up stops longer than 1 minute. The Pda does not measure walking or driving speeds. Everybody is different within royal mail so nobody can be compared or expected to walk as fast as others etc...
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
My walk is rural with very poor if not no mobile phone coverage so they couldn't ring me on the PDA. I have tried to use the PDA in the past to call the AA when the van has broken down but it either can't get through or the call cuts out part way through. Would have to knock on someone's door and use their landline if/when it happens again.DICKIEG wrote:Why would he track where you are, if he wanted to know where you are he could of phoned you on the pda. So now it makes no difference if you have a phone or not.Celgar wrote:The DOM is not meant to do it but they can track your, or rather the location of the PDA, in real time if they want or needed to. Our previous DOM did it once when they needed to find me as I don't own or have a mobile phone.
I hadn't noticed that white dot thing on the notifications but those things are always getting in my way on the screen and I keep swiping them out of the way.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
I’ve been shown my PDA data before (not sure if the link was allowed to show me it but he did). It just looks like a spiders walked across the screen. They can compare day to day and point out where you stopped but they can’t record your walking pace. Also I’ve been told by more than a few people the PDA can’t track you indoors (eg in shopping centres, old people’s homes etc).
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
If the signal is poor they couldn't track you on it either. We had a denial of reciept case that couldn't be proved one way or the other because there was no location data due to a reception dead zone.Celgar wrote:My walk is rural with very poor if not no mobile phone coverage so they couldn't ring me on the PDA. I have tried to use the PDA in the past to call the AA when the van has broken down but it either can't get through or the call cuts out part way through. Would have to knock on someone's door and use their landline if/when it happens again.DICKIEG wrote:Why would he track where you are, if he wanted to know where you are he could of phoned you on the pda. So now it makes no difference if you have a phone or not.Celgar wrote:The DOM is not meant to do it but they can track your, or rather the location of the PDA, in real time if they want or needed to. Our previous DOM did it once when they needed to find me as I don't own or have a mobile phone.
I hadn't noticed that white dot thing on the notifications but those things are always getting in my way on the screen and I keep swiping them out of the way.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
The new tracking app probably uses GPS instead of a mobile phone signalSeymour Buts wrote:If the signal is poor they couldn't track you on it either. We had a denial of reciept case that couldn't be proved one way or the other because there was no location data due to a reception dead zone.Celgar wrote:My walk is rural with very poor if not no mobile phone coverage so they couldn't ring me on the PDA. I have tried to use the PDA in the past to call the AA when the van has broken down but it either can't get through or the call cuts out part way through. Would have to knock on someone's door and use their landline if/when it happens again.DICKIEG wrote:Why would he track where you are, if he wanted to know where you are he could of phoned you on the pda. So now it makes no difference if you have a phone or not.Celgar wrote:The DOM is not meant to do it but they can track your, or rather the location of the PDA, in real time if they want or needed to. Our previous DOM did it once when they needed to find me as I don't own or have a mobile phone.
I hadn't noticed that white dot thing on the notifications but those things are always getting in my way on the screen and I keep swiping them out of the way.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
PDA Actuals - how do they track us?
GPS is 'receive only', so the PDA will receive multiple signals from GPS satellites and calculate your position from those signals. These signalsSpacePhoenix wrote:The new tracking app probably uses GPS instead of a mobile phone signalSeymour Buts wrote:If the signal is poor they couldn't track you on it either. We had a denial of reciept case that couldn't be proved one way or the other because there was no location data due to a reception dead zone.Celgar wrote:My walk is rural with very poor if not no mobile phone coverage so they couldn't ring me on the PDA. I have tried to use the PDA in the past to call the AA when the van has broken down but it either can't get through or the call cuts out part way through. Would have to knock on someone's door and use their landline if/when it happens again.DICKIEG wrote:Why would he track where you are, if he wanted to know where you are he could of phoned you on the pda. So now it makes no difference if you have a phone or not.Celgar wrote:The DOM is not meant to do it but they can track your, or rather the location of the PDA, in real time if they want or needed to. Our previous DOM did it once when they needed to find me as I don't own or have a mobile phone.
I hadn't noticed that white dot thing on the notifications but those things are always getting in my way on the screen and I keep swiping them out of the way.
are line of sight and low power and can be blocked by buildings, trees etc. If GPS signals are received by the PDA they would then
be sent to RM by mobile phone signal.
If your PDA can receive the GPS signals but has no mobile phone reception at the time, I imagine it saves the GPS positioning data and
then transmits it to RM when it has re-acquired the mobile phone signal.