ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
I just don't see the benefit of running around to finish early when it isn't job and finish. ok - yes some days u will get to go home early with no extra work, but it's never guaranteed and most the time if a postie finishes early they will just sit about in their vans.....not much reward for running around every day.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Some posties just seem to "get off" on running round and cutting up a round to make others look slow. Small minded and self-interested, they are usually the DOM's favourite and/or have mates in the right places. RM as a company will always win as people like that would rather look big (to themself anyway) than help or stand up for others.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Dorset Plodder wrote:Its Obvious you don't work in a Delivery Office SP (as your profile states). This kind of Shite has been going on for years, and most DOMs don't bother dealing with it.SpacePhoenix wrote: By rights the DOM should be giving them an additional hours worth of work.
The runners give higher up scope to take hours out of a DOFrom an RM point of view they love it if Posties are coming in early and working for FREE, that's if they're Not paying ANY Overtime (and TBH if you come in one hour early, and finish one hour early no harms done)
It's when they're coming in one hour early , finishing on time ... and then the DOMs not paying them any OT, because, "Well you finished at your correct time" that's when it doesn't make sense.
There's Various explanations given by Posties: I like to get out Early and avoid the Rush Hour ... I've got to get home early to walk the dog.. pick the kids up... Get to my second job etc .... All no doubt valid ... BUT Please don't work for nothingYou are Correct SP the DOM "should" be giving them extra work to take them up to their contracted finish time, but IMO they just be bothered with the hassle. I spoke to the DOM about someone who is a Habitual Early Finisher and asked WHY he didn't give him more work? He said, "He's just a Fast Worker and if I give him more work ... when he leaves it will be an Oversized Duty that won't be able to be done in time"
FFS I said, "Then why don't you just give him enough work to take it up to his Finish Time ... AND then "when"
he leaves take some work off again"? He looked at me as if I was stupid .... Perhaps I am?
And why is another postie talking to management about giving a fellow workmate more mail to deliver. WTF has it got to do with you.
-
buntin
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
I find that hard to believe as well. The taxman will certainly be after them if it's truebuntin wrote:8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
To be honest, now I am an MC worker, it's probably some upset night workers who thought the thread was a tad insensitive.SpacePhoenix wrote:I find that hard to believe as well. The taxman will certainly be after them if it's truebuntin wrote:8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
You never know. These ones who go and buy milk and bread for their older customers may be getting massive reward for it come xmas. I am sure there are a lot of old folk out there with no family and the postman is the person they see most from day to day. Wouldn't surprise me if some people have put the postman in their wills.buntin wrote:8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
-
worthings
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 21:18
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Had one guy come out with a five pound note but his wife came out and said thats not our normal postie and went back inside gutted 
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Can't understand coming in early and working for free. If you came in an hr early at our place (and some do), you wouldn't be out an hr earlier because there's not enough mail and packets sorted up. If sorting is all done before half eight they're doing well. There'd be no point coming in at six. Total waste of time, but not for the managers who will just get you doing other prep ......in your free time! And yet some numptys still do it in the hope one day they can be out early and get a flyer.Dorset Plodder wrote:Its Obvious you don't work in a Delivery Office SP (as your profile states). This kind of Shite has been going on for years, and most DOMs don't bother dealing with it.SpacePhoenix wrote: By rights the DOM should be giving them an additional hours worth of work.
The runners give higher up scope to take hours out of a DOFrom an RM point of view they love it if Posties are coming in early and working for FREE, that's if they're Not paying ANY Overtime (and TBH if you come in one hour early, and finish one hour early no harms done)
It's when they're coming in one hour early , finishing on time ... and then the DOMs not paying them any OT, because, "Well you finished at your correct time" that's when it doesn't make sense.
There's Various explanations given by Posties: I like to get out Early and avoid the Rush Hour ... I've got to get home early to walk the dog.. pick the kids up... Get to my second job etc .... All no doubt valid ... BUT Please don't work for nothingYou are Correct SP the DOM "should" be giving them extra work to take them up to their contracted finish time, but IMO they just be bothered with the hassle. I spoke to the DOM about someone who is a Habitual Early Finisher and asked WHY he didn't give him more work? He said, "He's just a Fast Worker and if I give him more work ... when he leaves it will be an Oversized Duty that won't be able to be done in time"
FFS I said, "Then why don't you just give him enough work to take it up to his Finish Time ... AND then "when"
he leaves take some work off again"? He looked at me as if I was stupid .... Perhaps I am?
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
What, mail centre workers who don't do door to doors but get the delivery supplement that replaced d2d payments? 52 weeks a yr. Not just at Xmas.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:To be honest, now I am an MC worker, it's probably some upset night workers who thought the thread was a tad insensitive.SpacePhoenix wrote:I find that hard to believe as well. The taxman will certainly be after them if it's truebuntin wrote:8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
'sit about in their vans' AKA talking their breaks?norris9 wrote:I just don't see the benefit of running around to finish early when it isn't job and finish. ok - yes some days u will get to go home early with no extra work, but it's never guaranteed and most the time if a postie finishes early they will just sit about in their vans.....not much reward for running around every day.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
But they don't get a delivery supplement = they get an MC supplement which started at £8 max when Delivery was £22rambo1 wrote:What, mail centre workers who don't do door to doors but get the delivery supplement that replaced d2d payments? 52 weeks a yr. Not just at Xmas.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:To be honest, now I am an MC worker, it's probably some upset night workers who thought the thread was a tad insensitive.SpacePhoenix wrote:I find that hard to believe as well. The taxman will certainly be after them if it's truebuntin wrote:8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
no. lol.rambo1 wrote:'sit about in their vans' AKA talking their breaks?norris9 wrote:I just don't see the benefit of running around to finish early when it isn't job and finish. ok - yes some days u will get to go home early with no extra work, but it's never guaranteed and most the time if a postie finishes early they will just sit about in their vans.....not much reward for running around every day.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
I suppose they can console themselves with the thought of their 1970's working conditions, 3 men doing the work of one etc...TrueBlueTerrier wrote:To be honest, now I am an MC worker, it's probably some upset night workers who thought the thread was a tad insensitive.SpacePhoenix wrote:I find that hard to believe as well. The taxman will certainly be after them if it's truebuntin wrote:8 people got over 10 grand ??? really.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Isn't there a rule you're meant to declare a tip above a certain amount as a potential bribe?
I think attitudes have changed to be honest, most people now just think get on with your job rather than tipping anybody. Even how we work is different, we're mostly paired so which one do you tip? The one doing the oversized or the walker? The ones who get the most tips in our office are the rurals, and that's mostly because they've been doing that job for many years so everybody knows who they are. One guy has been doing the same route for 30 years in our office and he lives there so he knows them socially too.
I think attitudes have changed to be honest, most people now just think get on with your job rather than tipping anybody. Even how we work is different, we're mostly paired so which one do you tip? The one doing the oversized or the walker? The ones who get the most tips in our office are the rurals, and that's mostly because they've been doing that job for many years so everybody knows who they are. One guy has been doing the same route for 30 years in our office and he lives there so he knows them socially too.