ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Shepster
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Jul 2019, 10:06
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Shepster »

twoloops wrote:Today I have covered a walk, regular postman’s long weekend off & received over £60 in tips, would you keep schtum & pocket it or pass it on? It was given to me :shhhhh
Personally, I would definitely pass it on. I got two £5 tips on one of our regularly lapsed rounds the other day but passed it onto the chap who has been doing it over Xmas. Depends where your moral compass points...
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by postslippete »

Maybe we should walk round with a daft hat and a big bucket signed "Xmas tips"?? Funny how some of my customers seem to go in hibernation at this time of year....
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by ssdd »

twoloops wrote:Today I have covered a walk, regular postman’s long weekend off & received over £60 in tips, would you keep schtum & pocket it or pass it on? It was given to me :shhhhh
As a duty holder myself, I give the regular floater who covers a little cut of what I get, so wouldn't be best pleased if he scooped up any more for himself without saying. The thing is, if the customer actually gives it to YOU, then unless you ask if it's meant for you or the regular Postie, then you can only assume it IS for you.

I remember back a few years when I was a reserve, and we had night shifts on in the Peak. I was covering one of the guys who came off his run to do the night shift for the 4 weeks.
One day I got to this door with an envelope attached "For the Postman". So I just took it, thinking it was for me. There was a fiver in it. Nice one! Anyway, the regular guy got to hear about it. I guess the customer asked if he got his tip. He never did say anything to me, but I kept wondering why he was giving me evils for a while after. :oops: :chuckle
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by ssdd »

norris9 wrote:Strange culture we have here. You are expected to tip a waitress a few quid for a few visits to your table, but not expected to tip a postman who delivers to you most days of the year.
Just taken for granted by the younger, disposable cash crowd, parcels every/other day. You do your best to make sure they get them, and not one token of appreciation. Makes me feel like carding the bastards every day. It's the one you do the most for that least appreciate you..blah..blah....oh don't get me started! Bah!......Humbug! :crazy: :wave
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Christmas Tips

Post by k979aaa »

People think nothing of throwing a £5 in a beggars bucket yet they have better houses and cars than we do.
khemist
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Sep 2011, 22:09
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by khemist »

I've been on my duty around eight years now and get a little over £500 or so each year in tips, the other chap i work with will get well over £1000 but he is the biggest arse kisser i've ever seen in my life and i can't actually stand to see him interacting with his customers.

It's so cringey and obvious the fake niceness he does all year round and he is known for it in the office, i feel embarrassed for him ... but it seems to work, he got £215 in one day and over £400 in two days just this week.

I know who my tippers are so i always try to help them out and did for everyone for the first four or so years on this delivery but i stopped doing that for the people i get no thanks from and they get a knock and a 739 now.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wacko74 »

I find it's the middle classes with their ''aspirational'' lifestyles (''executive'' newbuild and obligatory grey or white PCP Audi on the drive) that are the worst tippers... probably because in reality they're up to their eyes in debt trying keep up with Jones's

What's annoyed me is for the last 2-3 years I've been dumped almost permanently on one of the biggest walks in the office, I do it at least 3-4 days a week, yet virtually all the customers still give their tips to the ''regular postie'' who's walk it is, even though he only now does it 1 or 2 days a week at most.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Christmas Tips

Post by norris9 »

Personally I don't/wouldn't expect tips. I have never given a Postman a tip and probably never will, so for me to expect tips from anyone would be hypocritical.....

That said - if there are some houses which you have to walk a good distance up their driveway each day to get to their door or a house you delivered parcels to regularly, then that's where I'd like to think Posties would get a tip from.
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

Why should posties get tips.

They get paid enough for unskilled work anyway.
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by smartecosse »

Have one of the busiest walks for packets in the office and it's an HCT one as well......600 odd houses with all but about 20 of them being relative new builds with a couple of German cars parked in front of each of them plus some off roaders for the school runs.

Was told it was a walk that for no thanks at Xmas.....and they were right!

A gift card for Costa coffee and £20 off probably the poorest house on the round.

Ungrateful gits.

I'll be making no special efforts for all their bloody packets in future....if they don't answer the door tough.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

Worked me bollocks off getting rid of parcels, plenty of knocks on neighbours, not for the customers benefit just to decrease slightly the amount of grumpy f***ers the callers office has to deal with cos they're a good bunch of lads.

There's two days yet to go but I reckon I will double the amount of tips I have received so far in that time.

So far - Fuc Kall
In future - Fuc Kall X 2
Last few Xmas totals - Fuc Kall

Merry f***ing Xmas all!
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Had a house come out to me asking if I was on the walk over Christmas because they have a bottle of vodka for me. I told then I was and was looking forward too it. That was at the end of November. The day after I went on sick and won't be back till February. Good bye vodka :sad: :left:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Christmas Tips

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Why should posties get tips.

They get paid enough for unskilled work anyway.
Your post is quite confrontational, again :hmmmm :roll:

No one as far as I am aware has said they SHOULD get tips, but if residents are generous enough to offer then it's up to the individuals involved whether to accept or not.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
celtic1967
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 138
Joined: 21 Apr 2011, 17:25
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by celtic1967 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Why should posties get tips.

They get paid enough for unskilled work anyway.
Your post is quite confrontational, again :hmmmm :roll:

No one as far as I am aware has said they SHOULD get tips, but if residents are generous enough to offer then it's up to the individuals involved whether to accept or not.
He's a troll mate.
compostcorner
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by compostcorner »

my view is that a christmas tip is for a years work, a number of my people say thanks for all you have done this year, i wouldnt be happy if somebody took my tips on my day off just for one days work, luckilly must of the people on my round wait for me and hand it to me personally. people who want it put in a pot and shared out are usually the ones that get nothing, i dont blame them for suggesting that, but just imagine having to ask the postman who gets over £500 to share it out with the rest of the office...good luck with that.