Well said that man. I’m an ex matelot, I think back to the days when we were up at the top of the North Sea chasing Russian subs in a gale force 8 for weeks on end. Going home every night now is a bonus. Always someone worse off than us posties.Dorset Plodder wrote:How every Wet & Cold it gets you can just console yourself that at the end of the day you can go home, have a Nice Hot Shower, put your Onesy on and relax with a Nice Hot cup of something!![]()
I spend many years Soldiering, and at the end of a Cold & Wet Day you often just faced a Cold & Wet Night ... often in the same Wet Kit ... still managed to have a Nice Hot Cup of Tea most of the time though.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Worse job in the winter :-)
-
nickinoneck
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 15:37
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Worse job in the winter :-)
like a CEO on lake Geneva what call of nature can he get away with
-
Roccat4
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:39
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
Just follow from fluxburner, I didn't dive but spend many a hour quayside/ on boats in NE. Winter can be really entertaining.
And your shift doesn't end untill the job is done.
Glad to be back to RM.
And your shift doesn't end untill the job is done.
Glad to be back to RM.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
Recycling worker messing with cold bottles etc
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
I wear my hiking gear when its properly raining and put a Royal Mail Hi Viz on top. Being dry in breathable clothing, in a jacket with a peak built into the hood (so water runs off the jacket rather than down your face) makes a huge difference to comfort. Then its just the soggy bundles, disintegrating envelopes and 739 cards and malfunctioning PDA to deal with.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Worse job in the winter :-)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales- ... king-route" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This woman enjoys her job....
and they say all Posties do the same job....
She drives most of her job.....and says she goes into people's homes for tea and biscuits.
I walk 10 miles and have no time to stop for tea and biscuits.
This woman enjoys her job....
and they say all Posties do the same job....
She drives most of her job.....and says she goes into people's homes for tea and biscuits.
I walk 10 miles and have no time to stop for tea and biscuits.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
She won't enjoy it for long there ain't no profit for rm in what she does. Cost more to run the van and her wages than what they will make from the mail she delivers. Oh the future looks so bleak.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
You can always wear the RM Baseball cap under your hood, which has the same effect. I don't mind the RM Storm Coats, IF they're a relatively NEW one, I find most of the Posties that complain about them being crap are normally wearing a jacket that's years old, with no waterproofing left on it.woopesh wrote:I wear my hiking gear when its properly raining and put a Royal Mail Hi Viz on top. Being dry in breathable clothing, in a jacket with a peak built into the hood (so water runs off the jacket rather than down your face) makes a huge difference to comfort. Then its just the soggy bundles, disintegrating envelopes and 739 cards and malfunctioning PDA to deal with.
I agree that they could be a lot more breathable, the only time they're really comfortable (temperature wise) is if it's Freezing Cold
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
Just wear a few jackets, eat and drink plenty, it’s fine- east work. Just longer days which means more money in the bank. Happy days.
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3357
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
'You've used up your allocated allowance. You can next order a storm coat on January 22nd 2079.'Dorset Plodder wrote:I don't mind the RM Storm Coats, IF they're a relatively NEW one, I find most of the Posties that complain about them being crap are normally wearing a jacket that's years old, with no waterproofing left on it.
The machine stops.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Worse job in the winter :-)
I remember one time as a young man barely 2 years in the job, we had one of those red RM raincoats, on this particular day late 80s, we seem to have very damp winters in those days, it was snowing, before turning into sleet then cold rain, the water proofing was minimal, it went through my raincoat, jacket, shirt and t shirt down my trousers into my shoes all the hole the snow was turning into slush and making my shoes and feet wet.
It was the worst day ever in the job and I still had to carry on, by the time I got home never was a hot bath was so welcome.
With the right equipment any winter job would be bearable.
It was the worst day ever in the job and I still had to carry on, by the time I got home never was a hot bath was so welcome.
With the right equipment any winter job would be bearable.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
compostcorner
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
- Gender: Male
Worse job in the winter :-)
if your a postman and you complain about the weather your in the wrong job.