ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

I hate the job and I'm looking to leave.
77
18%
I hate the job, but I have to stick with it through gritted teeth.
119
27%
Neither hate or love the job, I just do it as I need to pay the bills.
148
34%
I enjoy being a Postie and see myself working as one for a long time.
89
21%
 
Total votes: 433

blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by blacov »

matt_1983 wrote:
norris9 wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Id go back to one man on delivery and finish in a shot .after 20 odd years my body is shot, get home too exhausted to do anything , drag myself out if bed body still aching n sore . Back to the grind ,the lies , the patronising , arguements every day , backstabbers , brown nosers. Stress sick absence miles worse than it was yrs ago , managers with no ppl skills . Pdas awful, vans falling apart but get patched up badly , conduct code conduct code, work place coaches paid every week for doing nothing ,uniforms not fit for purpose , faves looked after , have i missed anything? Hate the way the company is now .
I have only been in the job a year and I get home too exhausted to do anything. Drag my body out of bed still aching and sore. But my office doesn't sound as bad as yours for all the politics.

It is 5pm on a Saturday and I need to go to bed, knackered. I don't see the point in me doing this job much longer....I just work...get 1 day off which is a recovery day to rest aches and pains and sleep, then work several days, then 1 day off recovery, back to work.....do I want to be doing this until 60+.....
Same here, after doing 3/4/5 days in a row i am totally exhausted, often needing a 2 hour afternoon sleep in order to stay up past 8pm. Im often doing 11/12 miles walking per day and climbing 60/70 flights of stairs (according to iphone health app). Its just insane, and as a 36 year old its worrying how little energy im left with outside of work, and how my body feels; neck and shoulder pain, feet a total wreck. Cant see myself being able to do this job into my forties and beyond. It should not be this way.

I dont mean to upset you but have you had a look at your lifestyle? I mean eating healthy food and maybe some gentle stretching would help your body a lot. You would see a huge difference in a week or two I believe. Try to vitamin supplements too, like vit A, magnesium, cod liver oil + vit D. Hydration also plays an important part.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by ssdd »

matt_1983 wrote:
norris9 wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Id go back to one man on delivery and finish in a shot .after 20 odd years my body is shot, get home too exhausted to do anything , drag myself out if bed body still aching n sore . Back to the grind ,the lies , the patronising , arguements every day , backstabbers , brown nosers. Stress sick absence miles worse than it was yrs ago , managers with no ppl skills . Pdas awful, vans falling apart but get patched up badly , conduct code conduct code, work place coaches paid every week for doing nothing ,uniforms not fit for purpose , faves looked after , have i missed anything? Hate the way the company is now .
I have only been in the job a year and I get home too exhausted to do anything. Drag my body out of bed still aching and sore. But my office doesn't sound as bad as yours for all the politics.

It is 5pm on a Saturday and I need to go to bed, knackered. I don't see the point in me doing this job much longer....I just work...get 1 day off which is a recovery day to rest aches and pains and sleep, then work several days, then 1 day off recovery, back to work.....do I want to be doing this until 60+.....
Same here, after doing 3/4/5 days in a row i am totally exhausted, often needing a 2 hour afternoon sleep in order to stay up past 8pm. Im often doing 11/12 miles walking per day and climbing 60/70 flights of stairs (according to iphone health app). Its just insane, and as a 36 year old its worrying how little energy im left with outside of work, and how my body feels; neck and shoulder pain, feet a total wreck. Cant see myself being able to do this job into my forties and beyond. It should not be this way.
I thought a while back about the way the Company was going. I'm sure 'they' don't want 'costly' long term employees with health complaints and pensions, and would much rather prefer a young, fit, flexible workforce who will tolerate the demands of the job for so long before moving on. That's the bit 'they' say about there being a job for everyone who CAN and does WANT to work for Royal Mail. You CAN, because you're young, fit and eager to please, but you won't WANT to after a time, when you realise how you're being used.

That's why it's so important to support our Union, because we are well and truly in the fight of our lives for the jobs, terms and conditions as we know them.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by ssdd »

@matt_1983

That sounds like an awful lot of walking WITH stairs every day, no wonder you're so knackered. I take it you're on overtime with it? Why not get you're Union Rep and DOM to have a look at the duty. Sounds too big to me.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by norris9 »

blacov wrote:I dont mean to upset you but have you had a look at your lifestyle? I mean eating healthy food and maybe some gentle stretching would help your body a lot. You would see a huge difference in a week or two I believe. Try to vitamin supplements too, like vit A, magnesium, cod liver oil + vit D. Hydration also plays an important part.
This is the only hope I have of staying in the job....

I see other Posties who do overtime, go off and do other jobs, go and do more physical activity....

I am not sure if these people do all this extra activity and pass out as soon as they get home or they are totally fine, somehow. If they are fine, then how do I reach that level of fitness, stamina....

I don't get it to be honest. I don't see how it's possible to do all of that and just go home and chill, relax, pain and exhaustion free.

I am hoping there is some line I need to cross to reach the promised land of a pain and ache and exhaustion free life.....but it's been a year and if anything - things have got worse...

Again, I am right now breathing deep breaths, my body wants to switch off to rest and recover. This is natural. The body needs extra sleep in order to recover from physical activity.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

norris9 wrote:
blacov wrote:I dont mean to upset you but have you had a look at your lifestyle? I mean eating healthy food and maybe some gentle stretching would help your body a lot. You would see a huge difference in a week or two I believe. Try to vitamin supplements too, like vit A, magnesium, cod liver oil + vit D. Hydration also plays an important part.
This is the only hope I have of staying in the job....

I see other Posties who do overtime, go off and do other jobs, go and do more physical activity....

I am not sure if these people do all this extra activity and pass out as soon as they get home or they are totally fine, somehow. If they are fine, then how do I reach that level of fitness, stamina....

I don't get it to be honest. I don't see how it's possible to do all of that and just go home and chill, relax, pain and exhaustion free.

I am hoping there is some line I need to cross to reach the promised land of a pain and ache and exhaustion free life.....but it's been a year and if anything - things have got worse...

Again, I am right now breathing deep breaths, my body wants to switch off to rest and recover. This is natural. The body needs extra sleep in order to recover from physical activity.
It just becomes the new normal after a while, you won’t remember a life without the aches and pains.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by norris9 »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:It just becomes the new normal after a while, you won’t remember a life without the aches and pains.
I generally enjoy the job, but the pains and the exhaustion aren't worth it if it continues.

I'd rather find a lower paid job where I have plenty of energy, can stay up until midnight and enjoy a 2 day weekend feeling fresh.

I'll stick it out for now and see how I feel in 1 to 3 months time.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by postieblueshirt »

Don't mean to sound smart or put anyone down but.ive been doing this job since I was 20 I'm 45 now most weeks I work 6 days park and loop 12/13 miles per day etc.i feel ok I get aches and pains but we start 2 hours later than we used to so I think as I get more sleep now I'm fine with the physical side.most days I have to deal with kids n stuff so don't sleep when I get home.but I feel fine bit of lower back pain but that's about it.the weather is a pain I'm in Scotland so it's always raining.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by norris9 »

postieblueshirt wrote:Don't mean to sound smart or put anyone down but.ive been doing this job since I was 20 I'm 45 now most weeks I work 6 days park and loop 12/13 miles per day etc.i feel ok I get aches and pains but we start 2 hours later than we used to so I think as I get more sleep now I'm fine with the physical side.most days I have to deal with kids n stuff so don't sleep when I get home.but I feel fine bit of lower back pain but that's about it.the weather is a pain I'm in Scotland so it's always raining.
It's what I want to hear as it's good to know people are not so tired, it shows me that there may be a line I need to cross at some point where my body gets more used to it.

I do wonder though if those who start in their early 20's....their bodies get used to the physical work when they are young and can handle it better and their bodies 'evolve' better. Whereas if you start in your 30's, 40's etc...then your body is already on the downhill slope and you may not have done much physical exercise for years before starting as a Postie.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by postiewhite »

The work is getting tougher and im only 46 so I feel sorry for those that are 60+ and still in the delivery sector. I have just transferred to a new DO because of a bullying manager and so I have to learn the ropes again. Im only 4 weeks into the new DO and already feeling shin splints because the walk im on has loads of flats with stairs. I generally feel knackered on weekends and want to feel alive again this is the reason im looking into going into collections after xmas even though its a drop of contract hours but I shall try and make that up in one day of delivery a week.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by postiewhite »

Chelseablue wrote:Id go back to one man on delivery and finish in a shot .after 20 odd years my body is shot, get home too exhausted to do anything , drag myself out if bed body still aching n sore . Back to the grind ,the lies , the patronising , arguements every day , backstabbers , brown nosers. Stress sick absence miles worse than it was yrs ago , managers with no ppl skills . Pdas awful, vans falling apart but get patched up badly , conduct code conduct code, work place coaches paid every week for doing nothing ,uniforms not fit for purpose , faves looked after , have i missed anything? Hate the way the company is now .
You absolutely took the words out of my mouth with what you just wrote!!!!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

norris9 wrote:
It's what I want to hear as it's good to know people are not so tired, it shows me that there may be a line I need to cross at some point where my body gets more used to it.

I do wonder though if those who start in their early 20's....their bodies get used to the physical work when they are young and can handle it better and their bodies 'evolve' better. Whereas if you start in your 30's, 40's etc...then your body is already on the downhill slope and you may not have done much physical exercise for years before starting as a Postie.
I think the biggest shock was when we moved from Bikes onto Van & Van Share Duties. :hmmmm We all know we used to ride down a round and get off every now and then, and deliver a single house (or maybe a few together). If the Mail was light you could ride past loads of houses, with the New System you've got to plod past all those houses regardless... Down one side of the road ... cross over and back up the other side. Doesn't matter if you've got a thousand letters or just ten ... If you're on foot you're covering those miles. :Boo hoo! Plus it came as a BIG Shock because I know I for one wasn't used to covering nearly 13 miles on foot :shock:

In a Singleton Van Duty at least you can drive past a lot of these "Dead Houses" but I used to find hauling my arse up out of a Combo seat 40-50 times a day was just as knackering! :sad: The new Higher Vans are much better for the back, and groin, although I'm still covering 8-9 miles a day. I don't think there's many jobs out there that need you to cover these sorts of distance on a Daily Basis? Perhaps a Picker in an Amazon Warehouse! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by blacov »

This is why these days. People should look after their bodies as much as possible. Let me write up a couple of points for all the people suffering.

1.Wear lightweight footwear. Dump heavy boots or fancy uncomfortable trainers. If your round has lots of stairs there is a way of walking up and down the stairs (try not to push knee caps beyond toe line too much and engage glutes- your knees will thank you for that)

2. Check your joints mobility and body alignment ( You can book an appointment with a physio and he/she will tell you whats wrong and will advise what to do) This can be direct cause of your pains as your body is wearing off unsymmetrical ( your left knee for example is bust but you feel next to no pain in the other one)

3. Try to have a 20min stretching session a couple of times a week (focus on your legs obviously)

4. I would also make sure that this time of the year my joints are not exposed to cold weather (ditch the shorts and wear trousers) keep your knees warm and shielded from wind and rain. (this can cause some pain in the long run)

5. Eat healthy food (this will help to maintain your energy levels and help to maintain your body weight). If you are a 6 foot tall man and weigh around 16 stones you are putting a lot of weight on your joints.

6. Wherever you can try to maintain regular of minimum 7 hours unbroken sleep even when you have a day off. It will help to reduce your fatigue and make sure your body clock is in order. That way you should not be crashing out at 6pm in the evening and help you sleep deep during the night.

Lastly try to take your breaks, dont run around and you will be fine
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by ssdd »

blacov wrote:This is why these days. People should look after their bodies as much as possible. Let me write up a couple of points for all the people suffering.

1.Wear lightweight footwear. Dump heavy boots or fancy uncomfortable trainers. If your round has lots of stairs there is a way of walking up and down the stairs (try not to push knee caps beyond toe line too much and engage glutes- your knees will thank you for that)

2. Check your joints mobility and body alignment ( You can book an appointment with a physio and he/she will tell you whats wrong and will advise what to do) This can be direct cause of your pains as your body is wearing off unsymmetrical ( your left knee for example is bust but you feel next to no pain in the other one)

3. Try to have a 20min stretching session a couple of times a week (focus on your legs obviously)

4. I would also make sure that this time of the year my joints are not exposed to cold weather (ditch the shorts and wear trousers) keep your knees warm and shielded from wind and rain. (this can cause some pain in the long run)

5. Eat healthy food (this will help to maintain your energy levels and help to maintain your body weight). If you are a 6 foot tall man and weigh around 16 stones you are putting a lot of weight on your joints.

6. Wherever you can try to maintain regular of minimum 7 hours unbroken sleep even when you have a day off. It will help to reduce your fatigue and make sure your body clock is in order. That way you should not be crashing out at 6pm in the evening and help you sleep deep during the night.

Lastly try to take your breaks, dont run around and you will be fine
I would add one thing to your list blacov regarding stairs. USE THE HANDRAIL. Not only is it part of SSOW, you can take some of the pressure off your legs by pulling with your arm on the way up, and pushing on the way down.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by postieblueshirt »

norris9 wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:Don't mean to sound smart or put anyone down but.ive been doing this job since I was 20 I'm 45 now most weeks I work 6 days park and loop 12/13 miles per day etc.i feel ok I get aches and pains but we start 2 hours later than we used to so I think as I get more sleep now I'm fine with the physical side.most days I have to deal with kids n stuff so don't sleep when I get home.but I feel fine bit of lower back pain but that's about it.the weather is a pain I'm in Scotland so it's always raining.
It's what I want to hear as it's good to know people are not so tired, it shows me that there may be a line I need to cross at some point where my body gets more used to it.

I do wonder though if those who start in their early 20's....their bodies get used to the physical work when they are young and can handle it better and their bodies 'evolve' better. Whereas if you start in your 30's, 40's etc...then your body is already on the downhill slope and you may not have done much physical exercise for years before starting as a Postie.
could well be right i remember having sore feet when i started but then they get used to it and ive not had sore feet from walking since.believe it or not the footwear we get now is a lot better than breaking in doc martins lol and you HAD to wear them.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Posties - how do you feel about your job?

Post by norris9 »

Wow. It is almost midnight and I am awake and not tired.....feels great.

What a difference being on parcel deliveries has made today. If I had been doing a Postie round I'd have passed out by 7pm.