ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I still enjoy the central activity - prepping & delivering the mail - but there are too many problems in the job & the business both recent & long standing. I fear the CWU is relying on the Labour Party gaining a majority and renationalising the RM and concentrating on reinvigorating old agreements that died on their feet. We need to defeat the 'new parcel strategy' in its entirety otherwise there is no future for many of our jobs or the RM as a service to the people of this country.
It is that simple. We should not be seen as a springboard for union bods to get jobs in government or become MPs or cabinet ministers & advisors.
It is that simple. We should not be seen as a springboard for union bods to get jobs in government or become MPs or cabinet ministers & advisors.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
The only trouble is the current van share big parcels small van starburst park n loop call it what you will just does not work a van between two people was always a non starter purchased when a public company now can't afford to replace the vans are falling to bits.Celgar wrote:I still enjoy the central activity - prepping & delivering the mail - but there are too many problems in the job & the business both recent & long standing. I fear the CWU is relying on the Labour Party gaining a majority and renationalising the RM and concentrating on reinvigorating old agreements that died on their feet. We need to defeat the 'new parcel strategy' in its entirety otherwise there is no future for many of our jobs or the RM as a service to the people of this country.
It is that simple. We should not be seen as a springboard for union bods to get jobs in government or become MPs or cabinet ministers & advisors.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
We ran out of elastic bands again the other day as someone had forgot to order, was told to empty ones out of bags and vans, never known anything like it until the last couple of years. You couldn’t make up what goes on these days. Still enjoy the job while I’m out but nothing about what goes on with the rest of it.postieblueshirt wrote:The only trouble is the current van share big parcels small van starburst park n loop call it what you will just does not work a van between two people was always a non starter purchased when a public company now can't afford to replace the vans are falling to bits.Celgar wrote:I still enjoy the central activity - prepping & delivering the mail - but there are too many problems in the job & the business both recent & long standing. I fear the CWU is relying on the Labour Party gaining a majority and renationalising the RM and concentrating on reinvigorating old agreements that died on their feet. We need to defeat the 'new parcel strategy' in its entirety otherwise there is no future for many of our jobs or the RM as a service to the people of this country.
It is that simple. We should not be seen as a springboard for union bods to get jobs in government or become MPs or cabinet ministers & advisors.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
The job has changed and not for the better but you have to put things into perspective pay rate is good now but how long can any human do the job for a life time, Pensions have gone down the swanny and B&H through the roof and this lapsing s**t whoever thought of that should be strung up by the ball's even if it was a woman!
-
Top postie
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 22:00
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I have been in the job for two years and I hate it with a vengeance to be honest, number one the managers lied through their teeth during the interview, first they said there would be a floating day off every week and out of every 6 week there would be a long weekend, turned out all lies, only time you have a Saturday off is when you book holidays lol. The holidays are crap they dont like you having a day off you have to have a week off.Then the job is 27.5 hrs a week and all the overtime they want you to do when it is convenient and drop you like a brick when there's nothing so you back down to your 27.5 hrs, the lazy work place coach's are a joke, if royal mail got rid of these bloody arse lickers they would save a fortune cause they are as much use as a ash tray on a motorbike. Oh yes and did I say there are no part time hours in the royal mail, they are part time hours for a full time job, I'm applying every job that comes my way before this company breaks me completely and the place is run on a shoe string to please the share holders.
-
Jamesfr3man
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
Newbie here, I’m 24 and joined about 7 months ago. 25-hour contract. In the beginning the job was ok, come in to a ready frame, bag up and leave. I've been both driver and passenger and have met some really nice guys who have been in the job for 10+ years. The only problem early on was managers not paying me overtime and arguing about hours
but I can get over that as I’ve experienced it before. I've worked in the enquiry office and booked in 739s, customs, surcharges etc. which was alright although very little training. But what I can't stand is being dropped into walks without any training at all on them. I am constantly asked now that its Christmas to come in early and sort frames I’m unfamiliar with as I've never prepped them before and I'm expected to complete regardless and be the driver. Not to mention I'm with other part timer who know even less and can’t drive, so it falls to me
I dislike going over my time but when I'm saddled with another part timer or full timer who's finish times are either earlier or later than mine I usually have to drop them back or are forced to work to their time. The Job is ok but there is a serious lack of training and an unfair work ethic/guilt directed towards part timers to do more.
I’m looking for an exit, there’s no career progression here and no gratification for working hard, which is a shame as I used to see RM as somewhat of an institution due to its age but obviously that time has passed.
I’m looking for an exit, there’s no career progression here and no gratification for working hard, which is a shame as I used to see RM as somewhat of an institution due to its age but obviously that time has passed.
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
James, I feel you brother. I'm with the company 12 years (a slave). Been through all the stuff you're talking about and now have my own run. But no, no real progression and with the way the company is going things will get worse I fear. I'm 42 and don't have as many options as you do. I do however feel a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day knowing I've tried to do my best keeping my customers happy. That's easier to do when you 'own' a run so to speak.
My advice to you at your age would be get an apprenticeship if you can. Don't just go to college or Uni and take a course, but get into an industry where they will train you up. You still have time. Actually, you still have time if you're older, but it will be easier if you have youth on your side.
My advice to you at your age would be get an apprenticeship if you can. Don't just go to college or Uni and take a course, but get into an industry where they will train you up. You still have time. Actually, you still have time if you're older, but it will be easier if you have youth on your side.
-
Jamesfr3man
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
Thanks for the advise! Currently I'm trying to get a job in the rail industry, was interviewed and passed the exams last weekssdd wrote:James, I feel you brother. I'm with the company 12 years (a slave). Been through all the stuff you're talking about and now have my own run. But no, no real progression and with the way the company is going things will get worse I fear. I'm 42 and don't have as many options as you do. I do however feel a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day knowing I've tried to do my best keeping my customers happy. That's easier to do when you 'own' a run so to speak.
My advice to you at your age would be get an apprenticeship if you can. Don't just go to college or Uni and take a course, but get into an industry where they will train you up. You still have time. Actually, you still have time if you're older, but it will be easier if you have youth on your side.
-
JohnsonJohnson
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 12 Sep 2019, 19:30
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
Over 20 years service now, to be honest some days I like it and some days I hate it, my biggest dislike is packets or parcels as Royal Mail like us to call them now,oh and pulling your PDA out of wherever you chucked it after your last scan, jeez I hate scanning every 10 steps!
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
That's good. I don't think any industry these days is a bed of roses. It seems volatile/uncertain times. Sometimes I think of basic, recession proof jobs like a barber or window cleaner look like good options, but again, no real progression. Just depends what you want out of life I guess. We could get philosophical, but if you want real progression then you need a career that involves some kind of art, where you're constantly learning and improving, or you may become frustrated if your intellect cannot adapt to the mundane, but then this increases risk of earning potential, unless you become known/liked. Am I waffling now? Had a few beers.Jamesfr3man wrote:Thanks for the advise! Currently I'm trying to get a job in the rail industry, was interviewed and passed the exams last weekssdd wrote:James, I feel you brother. I'm with the company 12 years (a slave). Been through all the stuff you're talking about and now have my own run. But no, no real progression and with the way the company is going things will get worse I fear. I'm 42 and don't have as many options as you do. I do however feel a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day knowing I've tried to do my best keeping my customers happy. That's easier to do when you 'own' a run so to speak.
My advice to you at your age would be get an apprenticeship if you can. Don't just go to college or Uni and take a course, but get into an industry where they will train you up. You still have time. Actually, you still have time if you're older, but it will be easier if you have youth on your side.it's got to have better prospects than RM
I totally understand where you’re coming from with regards to making people happy. One thing I do like about this job is fixing problems and helping people, especially the elderly as simple things for you and me like looking up tracking numbers etc. can be daunting for them, not to mention delivering parcels for birthdays
This job is such a mixed bag, excuse the pun...
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
Thanks James for bringing up some good points, as I think it's important to remember these. Was that a loaded question Norris? I like the sense of being your own boss when your out on the street ( as far as being aware of PDA actuals), I like walking up different garden paths and getting to see different/interesting things. I like interacting with customers on my terms( I get to decide how long I talk to them). And I like that the job revolves around (mainly) sociable hours (at the moment). It has been and continues to be overall a good job given the pay we get and despite the s**t treatment we get from management.norris9 wrote:Feel free to add any comments as to the main reason why you dislike the job.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
wow 50% of people hate the job.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
nope, not a loaded question.ssdd wrote:Thanks James for bringing up some good points, as I think it's important to remember these. Was that a loaded question Norris? I like the sense of being your own boss when your out on the street ( as far as being aware of PDA actuals), I like walking up different garden paths and getting to see different/interesting things. I like interacting with customers on my terms( I get to decide how long I talk to them). And I like that the job revolves around (mainly) sociable hours (at the moment). It has been and continues to be overall a good job given the pay we get and despite the s**t treatment we get from management.norris9 wrote:Feel free to add any comments as to the main reason why you dislike the job.
I know why people would like the job, I am just curious as to why people dislike the job and if it's for the same reasons as me.....
It's usually complaints about where RM are going, poor management etc that come up first - which surprises me, as for me the standout negative is the exhaustion, the aches, the pains. Things like getting sent out blind, being pressured by management is annoying, but is nothing compared to aching day in day out.
I find 1 day off as a Postman is not enough to switch off from work and recover. You're reminded of the job every time your body twinges in pain and you know you are back walking 10 miles tomorrow. In other much less physical jobs that I've had it's easy to switch off for a 2 day weekend and always felt like I had some good time off work. Whereas with being a Postie it feels like I am constantly working as 1 day off at a time is too short, especially when it doesn't feel like a day off, it feels like RM are giving you a day to recover.
What a week as a Postie feels like for me: WORK, WORK, WORK, RECOVER AND REST YOUR ACHING MUSCLES, WORK, WORK, RECOVER AND REST YOUR ACHING MUSCLES. REPEAT.
What a week in a less physical Mon-Fri job feels like: WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, ENJOY YOUR 2 DAY WEEKEND PAIN FREE. REPEAT.
-
itinerant
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I agree Norris. When I joined a couple of years ago I started on a 5 day week and, despite being fit and a keen runner, I was struggling with 1 day off and was always tired and nursing aches/pains. Luckily I managed to get switched to a 4 day week and it made a big difference for me (most of our OPGs are on 4 days as we have a lot of long rural duties). I work longer days now but getting the extra time off and a long weekend every 3 weeks makes all the difference. I think I may have gone back to an office job otherwise as was constantly knackered.What a week as a Postie feels like for me: WORK, WORK, WORK, RECOVER AND REST YOUR ACHING MUSCLES, WORK, WORK, RECOVER AND REST YOUR ACHING MUSCLES. REPEAT.
The future of what RM may have in store for us is a different matter though ...
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
The workload is intolerable at times, during the Christmas pressure period we have no extra staff so are expected to get things done as normal. The endless repeating of "mail's down" is a joke as no allowance is made for the extra time and space taken by packets. In each of the last two weeks I have gone in expecting that day to be my last at RM.
I have only met one manager that could actually manage people, all the others just manage workload - this leads to arguments as they expect things to be done and do not listen when you attempt to explain that having double the normal number of packets means you will take longer. This week when we said we'd leave one loop each the DOM asked how long the loop takes and refused to believe the answer (40 minutes). He doesn't even know where the roads are, let alone what the delivery is like. Just saying "take it, you can get it done" just creates more tension.
A few fellow posties are a disgrace. I am sure that most offices have some people who would rather get one over on another postie than act like a decent human being.
Senior management going on about "the best terms and conditions in the industry" is a lie - no other company has to deliver letters, so we are the only company in the specific industry. Likewise none of the other companies are legally bound to deliver letters and election material. The company is on a race to the bottom and is now accelerating on the journey.
I have only met one manager that could actually manage people, all the others just manage workload - this leads to arguments as they expect things to be done and do not listen when you attempt to explain that having double the normal number of packets means you will take longer. This week when we said we'd leave one loop each the DOM asked how long the loop takes and refused to believe the answer (40 minutes). He doesn't even know where the roads are, let alone what the delivery is like. Just saying "take it, you can get it done" just creates more tension.
A few fellow posties are a disgrace. I am sure that most offices have some people who would rather get one over on another postie than act like a decent human being.
Senior management going on about "the best terms and conditions in the industry" is a lie - no other company has to deliver letters, so we are the only company in the specific industry. Likewise none of the other companies are legally bound to deliver letters and election material. The company is on a race to the bottom and is now accelerating on the journey.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.