ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.

Post by daveyeff »

out of pure interest...how much money are our professional drivers on a week. years ago, lorry drivers used to be on piss poor wages.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.

Post by maisymoo04 »

ihatedogs wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:Foot in the door no longer exsists all vacancys now our on success factors site and our all done fairly :Very Happy
Not strictly true, our professional driver vacancies are always advertised internally and trickle down the line, I.E. current Pro drivers > collection drivers > delivery staff > external applicants.
So say you had a professional driver with 20 years in just saying and a vacancy comes up for another vacancy and other postman or woman from a neighbouring office with over 20 years in wants to become a professional driver but cant because someone in your office with less then 20 years gets it ???? prob worded it wrong think you no what I mean . so you think this is fair someone missing out as it is kept in house ? :shock: :shock: :no no . just saying what other posties would think :thumbup
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.

Post by postiewhite »

Ive decided to go down to collections on some of my days off,(maybe after the xmas pressure) this is agreed by the ones in charge at the mail centre. That way I can get a feel for it and also talk to other drivers etc. I do know there is progression which is one reason why vacancies do come up. Id like to progress eventually to the 7.5 ton wagon delivering mail to the DO which seems to be morning work and the pay is better than in delivery with better drivers supplements.
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.

Post by Nickvilla20 »

I worked on mail centre and did collections for 10 years until I moved and transferred into a large DO/collections hub. Picked up the collectons reserve job there but cuts after cuts with hardly any duties left I signed for a delivery. I worry about collections as I can see all boxes apart from really major ones being done on delivery so there will be less collections our office has already lost 3 full time collection duties and 4 SAs there one full time left and I’m sure they would make that part time if they could
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.

Post by Navalron »

maisymoo04 wrote:Foot in the door no longer exsists all vacancys now our on success factors site and our all done fairly :Very Happy

Not so...... I'm in the civil service now but still keep abreast of the situation at RM. Yes it's a lot more tighter regulations now than when I joined after the forces in the early nineties but let's be honest, it's still pretty much who you know and what level ,THEIR, at. Do I agree with it! No, not really but that's life and it's got me a few jobs myself. Your better being on the level. Square away. :whistle