ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I can't face going in

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Phunter
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 06:50
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by Phunter »

Phunter wrote:
norris9 wrote:I can't face going in cos I'm cream crackered. Walking 10 miles a day is a madness. Imagine you are dead and looking back on your life, you will think why the fakk did I walk 10 miles everyday delivering junk mail until death/retirement.
Some walks on my office are like 8 loops plus packets in Christmas, we work in pairs and we don't have room in the van. we have to go back to the office 2 times in Christmas.
I wish this can change some of my workmates have only 3 loops. If it was shared fairer would be less distance to cover.
goldy
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by goldy »

norris9 wrote:I can't face going in cos I'm cream crackered. Walking 10 miles a day is a madness. Imagine you are dead and looking back on your life, you will think why the fakk did I walk 10 miles everyday delivering junk mail until death/retirement.
That comment is bang on .
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

I can't face going in

Post by norris9 »

Phunter wrote:I wish this can change some of my workmates have only 3 loops. If it was shared fairer would be less distance to cover.
3 loops?

Are they 3 miles per loop?
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

I can't face going in

Post by Brandy »

ruorbe wrote:
Dindin wrote:It's going to be overloaded with parcels letters d2d election leaflets it's mad and a sarky bullying lino or dom
If you are experiencing bullying and harassment in the workplace, please contact the CWU harassment helpline on FREEPHONE 0800 090 2303.
Sorry,but if management are the bullys,which a lot are,nothing is ever done,which is a total disgrace.
nelly21
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 14:14
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by nelly21 »

I started work for royal mail on 13th of December and one of the old timers said if you make it through Christmas pressure you can make it all year round and I did ,20 years next month stick at it I'm sure you will bo ok and don't get bullied by anyone nobody should be bullied at work
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

I can't face going in

Post by norris9 »

nelly21 wrote:I started work for royal mail on 13th of December and one of the old timers said if you make it through Christmas pressure you can make it all year round and I did ,20 years next month stick at it I'm sure you will bo ok and don't get bullied by anyone nobody should be bullied at work
I've been told by most Posties that Christmas pressure isn't that bad, in fact some Posties say it's the easier part of the year as you don't take any oversized parcels.

But then again some say it's bad.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Gasman11 wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:Saying work to your hours doesnt help at all so it's annoying to see it constantly said. It's obvious but some people cant deal with the bullying or sly comments. I'd say speak to the rep. Mention you're stressed and very anxious.
I'd even say you feel like taking leave cause of the stress theyll change their tune. It's a shame that wanting to work to your hours is met with bullying, coldness and rude comments in most work places. Goodluck bud.
He/she has to speak to someone though, the worst thing you can do is bottle your emotions up and try and carry on as normal. Maybe seek out someone more experienced in his/her unit who they feel that they can approach for guidance if there's a hesitancy to speak to the DOM. Good luck Dindin, share your concerns and im sure you'll get the support you deserve.
Yeah that's why I told him to talk to union rep or as you said someone else. That will help for sure :)
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by work »

The work and the culture won't change , but, you can try to help yourself through it...surround yourself with a few items during the day that will help you feel ever so slightly better about yourself emotionally. you have not done anything to deserve to feel this way so try simple steps:-
daft examples off the top of me 'ead:-
favourite honks(undergrolleys)/socks, a warm drink, boiled sweets, decent hat, a troth from a loved one, an emergency £fiver for a edible/drinkable 'treat' after work - if a s**t day...
Just try something different but personal and perhaps force yourself to smile :Very Happy at a stranger, do a random act of kindness everyday :thumbup , continue to be nice :angel in the face of the woe and despondency that you are presently feeling. I'm sorry to sound 'flip'. But, sometimes it's the little things that count* against the morale overload you are experiencing. Just try to do something positive for yourself, even if a bit contrived.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

I can't face going in

Post by NewPostieUK »

norris9 wrote: I've been told by most Posties that Christmas pressure isn't that bad, in fact some Posties say it's the easier part of the year as you don't take any oversized parcels.
My office has town walks and rurals. I did a town walk for a few years and we had plenty of help. We left packets for a dedicated packet duty. Certain Christmas days were easier.

Now I'm on a rural and get no help at all. I have to deliver everything, it's a nightmare.

You can work to your time, but that's the quickest way to lose the duty you waited years to get.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by miles_peters »

January this year with all the sales and junk was worse than Christmas.
Top postie
Posts: 5
Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 22:00
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by Top postie »

It's easier said than done when you got your manager standing by the lapsing waiting to see if you take your bit and then demanding why your not faking it, only a few I notice and not the many.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by postslippete »

I sometimes dread going in because I often get management guilty of dirty tricks. For example,one day last week i was supposed to work with a known fast postie,a runner as it were,manager comes round with clipboard - oh you'll be finished by 1pm today as you're with the runner. Then he gets moved and im not working with him but some postwoman who's never done the round before,can't drive,doesn't know how to use a PDA etc etc. So it's clear I need some work taken off,goes looking for lino,oh he's not here now hes gone to the other office!! Well I need some work taken off as im with a new postie!! Response : sorry it's not our section you'll have to speak to the DOM but oh my bad the DOMs not there,well ok what do you want me to do?? Can you contact the lino or do you want me to wait till he gets back?? Hmmm no one knows

So I ring the lino -no reply. I'm then walking round,no Union rep on our busy days,he's cleared off as well. Have to say to one of the managers that we will be most likely bringing mail and packets back if we take everything. Do you want me to contact you instead of my lino to let you know what I'm bringing back? What time do you want me to ring?? Nowt to do with me mate,you'll have to contact your lino

Now in all this im sure lesser postie's who are wary about mail integrity,wilful delay, conduct code and/or a bullying DOM would have probably folded taken all the mail and claimed the overtime. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some postie's can't face going in and suffer with anxiety and stress. I think it largely depends on how effective your bosses are at managing. Taking work off someone who needs it shouldn't be troublesome yet all too often i see managers giving staff a hard time over it
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

postslippete wrote:I sometimes dread going in because I often get management guilty of dirty tricks. For example,one day last week i was supposed to work with a known fast postie,a runner as it were,manager comes round with clipboard - oh you'll be finished by 1pm today as you're with the runner. Then he gets moved and im not working with him but some postwoman who's never done the round before,can't drive,doesn't know how to use a PDA etc etc. So it's clear I need some work taken off,goes looking for lino,oh he's not here now hes gone to the other office!! Well I need some work taken off as im with a new postie!! Response : sorry it's not our section you'll have to speak to the DOM but oh my bad the DOMs not there,well ok what do you want me to do?? Can you contact the lino or do you want me to wait till he gets back?? Hmmm no one knows

So I ring the lino -no reply. I'm then walking round,no Union rep on our busy days,he's cleared off as well. Have to say to one of the managers that we will be most likely bringing mail and packets back if we take everything. Do you want me to contact you instead of my lino to let you know what I'm bringing back? What time do you want me to ring?? Nowt to do with me mate,you'll have to contact your lino

Now in all this im sure lesser postie's who are wary about mail integrity,wilful delay, conduct code and/or a bullying DOM would have probably folded taken all the mail and claimed the overtime. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some postie's can't face going in and suffer with anxiety and stress. I think it largely depends on how effective your bosses are at managing. Taking work off someone who needs it shouldn't be troublesome yet all too often i see managers giving staff a hard time over it
So you are not capable of making a decision yourself. Very disappointing from an adult
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by Dindin »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
postslippete wrote:I sometimes dread going in because I often get management guilty of dirty tricks. For example,one day last week i was supposed to work with a known fast postie,a runner as it were,manager comes round with clipboard - oh you'll be finished by 1pm today as you're with the runner. Then he gets moved and im not working with him but some postwoman who's never done the round before,can't drive,doesn't know how to use a PDA etc etc. So it's clear I need some work taken off,goes looking for lino,oh he's not here now hes gone to the other office!! Well I need some work taken off as im with a new postie!! Response : sorry it's not our section you'll have to speak to the DOM but oh my bad the DOMs not there,well ok what do you want me to do?? Can you contact the lino or do you want me to wait till he gets back?? Hmmm no one knows

So I ring the lino -no reply. I'm then walking round,no Union rep on our busy days,he's cleared off as well. Have to say to one of the managers that we will be most likely bringing mail and packets back if we take everything. Do you want me to contact you instead of my lino to let you know what I'm bringing back? What time do you want me to ring?? Nowt to do with me mate,you'll have to contact your lino

Now in all this im sure lesser postie's who are wary about mail integrity,wilful delay, conduct code and/or a bullying DOM would have probably folded taken all the mail and claimed the overtime. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some postie's can't face going in and suffer with anxiety and stress. I think it largely depends on how effective your bosses are at managing. Taking work off someone who needs it shouldn't be troublesome yet all too often i see managers giving staff a hard time over it
So you are not capable of making a decision yourself. Very disappointing from an adult
What are you on about? You have to inform a manager to cut off
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

I can't face going in

Post by aiden01 »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
postslippete wrote:I sometimes dread going in because I often get management guilty of dirty tricks. For example,one day last week i was supposed to work with a known fast postie,a runner as it were,manager comes round with clipboard - oh you'll be finished by 1pm today as you're with the runner. Then he gets moved and im not working with him but some postwoman who's never done the round before,can't drive,doesn't know how to use a PDA etc etc. So it's clear I need some work taken off,goes looking for lino,oh he's not here now hes gone to the other office!! Well I need some work taken off as im with a new postie!! Response : sorry it's not our section you'll have to speak to the DOM but oh my bad the DOMs not there,well ok what do you want me to do?? Can you contact the lino or do you want me to wait till he gets back?? Hmmm no one knows

So I ring the lino -no reply. I'm then walking round,no Union rep on our busy days,he's cleared off as well. Have to say to one of the managers that we will be most likely bringing mail and packets back if we take everything. Do you want me to contact you instead of my lino to let you know what I'm bringing back? What time do you want me to ring?? Nowt to do with me mate,you'll have to contact your lino

Now in all this im sure lesser postie's who are wary about mail integrity,wilful delay, conduct code and/or a bullying DOM would have probably folded taken all the mail and claimed the overtime. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some postie's can't face going in and suffer with anxiety and stress. I think it largely depends on how effective your bosses are at managing. Taking work off someone who needs it shouldn't be troublesome yet all too often i see managers giving staff a hard time over it
So you are not capable of making a decision yourself. Very disappointing from an adult
Honest question why do you post on here.