ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
we should all be given mobility scooters to deliver with.
-
GaryQ
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Good luck getting reimbursed for footwear. I've not been for my last 3 pairs, given up on 2 still chasing last one from aug and I've just been told it's not been processed as they've lost my drs note, so require another one which they said should be replaced every 2 years anyway. The note was £18 which they said they will reimburse. Feet, ankle, knee pain and sure the RM footwear doesn't help.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Always find it's a good idea to get a photocopy when you hand anything into the DOM. They always seem to be "Losing" any important paperwork.GaryQ wrote:Good luck getting reimbursed for footwear. I've not been for my last 3 pairs, given up on 2 still chasing last one from aug and I've just been told it's not been processed as they've lost my drs note, so require another one which they said should be replaced every 2 years anyway. The note was £18 which they said they will reimburse. Feet, ankle, knee pain and sure the RM footwear doesn't help.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
sirchewey
- Posts: 99
- Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
To be honest, I haven't had any payment for about 18mths now either. I recently ordered some uniform and wondered when I last ordered something and guess what.... up came an order in January for some footwear that I never ordered, footwear which a previous manager had obv hacked into my account and ordered for someone else. I have flagged it with my DOM and asked if this would be the reason they haven't paid up the £102 they now owe me. Might be worth looking on your account just in case.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Always get it paid within 10days to 2 weeks.GaryQ wrote:Good luck getting reimbursed for footwear. I've not been for my last 3 pairs, given up on 2 still chasing last one from aug and I've just been told it's not been processed as they've lost my drs note, so require another one which they said should be replaced every 2 years anyway. The note was £18 which they said they will reimburse. Feet, ankle, knee pain and sure the RM footwear doesn't help.
-
derekm
- Posts: 340
- Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 22:17
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Was this not looked at by the union and the company about the effect delivery has on your body ?? Remember reading on here about it but like a lot of things probably brushed under the carpet because it might open a big can of wormsDorset Plodder wrote:I think RM could probably look at the Attendance Procedure ... with reference to OA. Sometimes just having a week off would be enough, but you've got that doubt in your mind about, "Will my Knees be OK, or will I go back too early , need more time off, and trigger another Period of Sicknes". So your DO will probably lose you for 3 weeks instead.IMO OA is an Industrial Injury ... caused by your job, and should be treated accordingly. We'd didn't have half these problems when we still used Bikes.
![]()
Has anyone managed to get FREE treatment from a physio, under the NHS? The last time my Doctor just gave me a Self Referral Form, with the impression that I'd have to pay for it.She made me laugh, she said, "It looks like you're not walking properly, your toes point outwards ... they should point forwards .... A physio should be able to teach you to walk properly".
I replied, "I'm nearly 60 years old .... I think it's a bit late to teach me to walk Doc"!
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Can't remember it EVER being looked at DerekM. As we know RM Management basically don't give a shite about anything that effects the Front-Line Postie, unless it can make them Deliver Faster. Ironically the introduction of Van Shares, and Removing Pushbikes, has probably actually slowed down delivery in real terms. With the Added Downside of ramping up lower limb injuries.derekm wrote:Dorset Plodder wrote:I think RM could probably look at the Attendance Procedure ... with reference to OA.
Was this not looked at by the union and the company about the effect delivery has on your body ?? Remember reading on here about it but like a lot of things probably brushed under the carpet because it might open a big can of worms![]()
I can only assume that RM are quite happy to have Injured Posties Retire Early will Ill Health, and then they can just recruit Part Timers on shite T&Cs.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Royal Mail Delivery – Musculoskeletal Survey Report https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=86990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Highlights are:
68% of those surveyed reported pain or discomfort affecting their muscles, joints, neck or back, affected work and other regular activities.
77% of these had suffered from this discomfort for more than 3 months.
63% of these individuals said the pain was intermittent.
32% said pain and discomfort was constant.
21% said that they had taken time off due to aches and pains in the past 3 months.
63% said that their aches and pains were caused by work.
47% said that their aches and pain was made worse by work.
35% thought that their aches and pains affected their ability to work a great deal or quite a lot.
43% thought it affected their ability somewhat.
22% thought that they affected their ability to work very little or not at all.
Lower back, feet and knees were the most common areas affected as would be expected from sick absence data and other ergonomics studies. However, almost 40% of participants reported discomfort in their shoulders, and a significant proportion also reported aches and pains in the neck, upper back, ankles, hips, hands and arms.
Highlights are:
68% of those surveyed reported pain or discomfort affecting their muscles, joints, neck or back, affected work and other regular activities.
77% of these had suffered from this discomfort for more than 3 months.
63% of these individuals said the pain was intermittent.
32% said pain and discomfort was constant.
21% said that they had taken time off due to aches and pains in the past 3 months.
63% said that their aches and pains were caused by work.
47% said that their aches and pain was made worse by work.
35% thought that their aches and pains affected their ability to work a great deal or quite a lot.
43% thought it affected their ability somewhat.
22% thought that they affected their ability to work very little or not at all.
Lower back, feet and knees were the most common areas affected as would be expected from sick absence data and other ergonomics studies. However, almost 40% of participants reported discomfort in their shoulders, and a significant proportion also reported aches and pains in the neck, upper back, ankles, hips, hands and arms.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Thanks for Digging this report out FB.fb1969 wrote:Royal Mail Delivery – Musculoskeletal Survey Report https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=86990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Highlights are:
68% of those surveyed reported pain or discomfort affecting their muscles, joints, neck or back, affected work and other regular activities.
77% of these had suffered from this discomfort for more than 3 months.
63% of these individuals said the pain was intermittent.
32% said pain and discomfort was constant.
21% said that they had taken time off due to aches and pains in the past 3 months.
63% said that their aches and pains were caused by work.
47% said that their aches and pain was made worse by work.
35% thought that their aches and pains affected their ability to work a great deal or quite a lot.
43% thought it affected their ability somewhat.
22% thought that they affected their ability to work very little or not at all.
Lower back, feet and knees were the most common areas affected as would be expected from sick absence data and other ergonomics studies. However, almost 40% of participants reported discomfort in their shoulders, and a significant proportion also reported aches and pains in the neck, upper back, ankles, hips, hands and arms.
I'm confused that only 2.1% complained about the footwear, considering the current post we're discussing.
We will probably NOT see RM move on this problem until a lot of Posties start to Claim Compensation for Industrial Injuries caused by their work practices.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
readingpete
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
I have osteoarthritis in my lower back and according to OH assist it is covered under the disability act.sirchewey wrote:Hi All,
I'm in my mid 30's. About a month ago I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both my knees.After some Xrays and a few visits to the doctors she advised me to try and make some changes. My manager has been understanding so far and will be taking me off my current shared van duty and put onto a reserve for the rural deliveries in order to cut the wear and tear to my joints (a recommendation from my doc).
The advice I need is on what else should RM provide in order to help me out regarding both ongoing physical and financial support?...
I have read on these forums that RM sees this condition as a disability and so can qualify for full footwear reimbursement under the equalities act. I currently wear my own footwear, however, as I require good cushioning and ankle support, my current expenses stand at about £300-400 a year which is way above the £34 every 6 months. After going through loads of pairs of boots over the years, the cushioning lasts about 6-8 weeks (300-400 miles) even on the highest quality footwear before it starts to have an increased impact on the pain in my knees. Having the resource to buy footwear when I require it rather than walking through the pain of worn out boots would have a huge impact on my working life.
If RM recognise arthritis as a disability, would this not give me the benefit of using sick leave when I have bad flare ups without it incurring any conduct stage issues? I always worry about my sickness, not that I hardly take any but would worry about my job if I needed the occasional period to get over any flare ups in my knees etc.
Any advice from people in the know would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
My doctor advised me to find another job!
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
The report was "only" done last year, so if there had been any mention of it from either RM or the CWU people would be far more aware of it. I have mentioned it to posties in my office, both longer servers and newbies, and none of them have heard of it.
Five of my seven years at RM have been since the bikes went and my aches and pains have worsened in that time. While I am obviously older now, I feel one of the reasons for the aches is that there is just not enough time for the joints to recover. When I've had a week off it has taken about 4 days for the aches to reduce - my rotating day off and a Sunday just isn't enough time, even a long weekend isn't enough. For most of the past year I have suffered from pain in one of my knees, at times it was very bad but at the moment I just put up with it (despite medical treatment).
Five of my seven years at RM have been since the bikes went and my aches and pains have worsened in that time. While I am obviously older now, I feel one of the reasons for the aches is that there is just not enough time for the joints to recover. When I've had a week off it has taken about 4 days for the aches to reduce - my rotating day off and a Sunday just isn't enough time, even a long weekend isn't enough. For most of the past year I have suffered from pain in one of my knees, at times it was very bad but at the moment I just put up with it (despite medical treatment).
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
I don't think we appreciated how much of a break the bikes did actually give our knees. When you had those LONG Driveways, or a couple of houses with No Mail, you could just ride between Delivery Points.fb1969 wrote:The report was "only" done last year, so if there had been any mention of it from either RM or the CWU people would be far more aware of it. I have mentioned it to posties in my office, both longer servers and newbies, and none of them have heard of it.
Five of my seven years at RM have been since the bikes went and my aches and pains have worsened in that time. While I am obviously older now, I feel one of the reasons for the aches is that there is just not enough time for the joints to recover. When I've had a week off it has taken about 4 days for the aches to reduce - my rotating day off and a Sunday just isn't enough time, even a long weekend isn't enough. For most of the past year I have suffered from pain in one of my knees, at times it was very bad but at the moment I just put up with it (despite medical treatment).
I believe RM could look at re-introducing bikes, in many duties, to help the problem. I understand some Areas didn't get rid of the Bikes in the first place.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
I have heard no mention of this report or the physical impact on posties from either the company or the union.
On holidays in the last few years I have seen posties on bikes, and from a quick view one of the bikes appeared to be fairly new. One area was quite hilly and the other practically flat. Plus, bikes have massively less impact on the environment than diesel vans that pump out pollution and rarely reach full running temperature due to the stop-start nature of the job. A large part of my current duty would be easier on the body (and, dare I say it, quicker to do) if I was using a bike.
On holidays in the last few years I have seen posties on bikes, and from a quick view one of the bikes appeared to be fairly new. One area was quite hilly and the other practically flat. Plus, bikes have massively less impact on the environment than diesel vans that pump out pollution and rarely reach full running temperature due to the stop-start nature of the job. A large part of my current duty would be easier on the body (and, dare I say it, quicker to do) if I was using a bike.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
Royal mail do not want people with conditions plus they will try and get away without paying you IHR if they can too ,l have been told by HR there is no discretion with handing out stage warnings they are
not up for negotiation ,they would rather see you go sick and sack you. Obviously they will say this isn't policy but good luck in getting any help from RM,their targets are to get rid of you with as little help or compenation even though it will cost more for them possibly in the long run.
not up for negotiation ,they would rather see you go sick and sack you. Obviously they will say this isn't policy but good luck in getting any help from RM,their targets are to get rid of you with as little help or compenation even though it will cost more for them possibly in the long run.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed
As you have been diagnosed with a disability, RM have (not an option HAVE) to make "reasonable adjustments" to your job. This may involve things such as drastic as not being on delivery anymore and put in a locker duty or sent to a mail centre. But the point is, they have to attempt to accomodate you. If theres locker jobs available by non disability staff in your office then that would be a good avenue to explore with your union rep. As long as you keep turning up to work they cant sack you, if youre limited to what roles you can do due to your condition, again, they cant sack you.
If you give them the option to buy your shoes then, again, its another option if thats really what you want to do, they probably wont go for this with the costs you have noted.
If the above fails, and there are no suitable positions in your area then you may be forced into Ill Health Retirement (IHR) - this is the last thing most managers want to do as it basically is you leaving with close to a years pay when you factor in that most of it isnt taxed, and most managers arent eager to pay this out until its a final resort.
Regarding sick leave, yes you are covered, however, firstly you have to make managers aware of your condition, and make sure its noted in any return to work or stage warnings you may recieve that its due to your condition - however it should never get to this point, the managers should be making the necessary adjustments. If you are having to take time off then the adjustments are failing, if you get to stage 3 you likely wouldnt be sacked as they would be open to a tribunal, but it would be likely that IHR would then be forced.
If it was me id explore all the above options rather than make my condition worse or work in pain, worst case scenario you`ll get paid off but it would take a few months before they even consider going down this avenue, its better than quitting which ive seen others mention.
If you give them the option to buy your shoes then, again, its another option if thats really what you want to do, they probably wont go for this with the costs you have noted.
If the above fails, and there are no suitable positions in your area then you may be forced into Ill Health Retirement (IHR) - this is the last thing most managers want to do as it basically is you leaving with close to a years pay when you factor in that most of it isnt taxed, and most managers arent eager to pay this out until its a final resort.
Regarding sick leave, yes you are covered, however, firstly you have to make managers aware of your condition, and make sure its noted in any return to work or stage warnings you may recieve that its due to your condition - however it should never get to this point, the managers should be making the necessary adjustments. If you are having to take time off then the adjustments are failing, if you get to stage 3 you likely wouldnt be sacked as they would be open to a tribunal, but it would be likely that IHR would then be forced.
If it was me id explore all the above options rather than make my condition worse or work in pain, worst case scenario you`ll get paid off but it would take a few months before they even consider going down this avenue, its better than quitting which ive seen others mention.