ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How dare you Royal Mail......

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by Chelseablue »

Were paid too much lol try doing this job for 30years or more see how fked up youre body is then . We deserve every penny we get .
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by antcpfc »

leolion855 wrote:And some of us still dont want to strike, Its only us that are gonna have to clear the mess up afterwards, Management wont help when its all over.
Interested to know how old you are and if you intend to stay in the job. I'm a few years from sixty when I hope to leave so I doubt it will affect me too much. I will strike though because it is the right thing to do.
Slider tool. Lol.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by aiden01 »

leolion855 wrote:And some of us still dont want to strike, Its only us that are gonna have to clear the mess up afterwards, Management wont help when its all over.
Don't strike then but you will still have a mess to clear up afterwards. management should NOT be helping opg's whatsoever.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by rambo1 »

postieblueshirt wrote:
bitterpill wrote:I worked for 25 years for Royal Mail before I left 4 years ago! Postmen and women have no idea how well they’re paid in comparison to unskilled workers!nthe moderator on here has banned me from posting as he/she knows I’ll touch a nerve with my posts. Be very careful as to how you manage the coming days, you’re future depends on it!!
When will you learn its not about money get the facts right
You reckon every other company treat their staff like royalty?
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by postieblueshirt »

rambo1 wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:
bitterpill wrote:I worked for 25 years for Royal Mail before I left 4 years ago! Postmen and women have no idea how well they’re paid in comparison to unskilled workers!nthe moderator on here has banned me from posting as he/she knows I’ll touch a nerve with my posts. Be very careful as to how you manage the coming days, you’re future depends on it!!
When will you learn its not about money get the facts right
You reckon every other company treat their staff like royalty?
So you think were treated like royalty I'm a 25 year man also I joined what was a public service you cannot make money from this industry unless u decimate it and turn it into a yodel or a DPD every opg worth there salt knows this was not like a normal job.you work way past your time for free for the people you served we worked for the queen the moneys always been good I never agreed to striking for money but I went on strike none the less because of my fellow workers.this time its different this is the only time I've put yes on a voting form to protect the job I've done for more than half my life.be a friend to the community was how it was advertised and as long as I can I'll stick to that ideal.
bitterpill
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Nov 2010, 22:48
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by bitterpill »

I’ve been on strike many a time throughout my time working for Royal Mail, I’ve suffered the loss of money as many others have. Never once did I break a strike, it never entered my head to do so. I still have a lot of friends that still work there, my point is it’s a different ball game now! Good luck with what you all want to achieve, I hope it works for you all but you really do have a fight on your hands!!

Good luck!
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by norris9 »

bitterpill wrote:I worked for 25 years for Royal Mail before I left 4 years ago! Postmen and women have no idea how well they’re paid in comparison to unskilled workers!nthe moderator on here has banned me from posting as he/she knows I’ll touch a nerve with my posts. Be very careful as to how you manage the coming days, you’re future depends on it!!
I don't understand your point to be honest. Unskilled work varies a lot. You can't just claim that all unskilled work is equal. That's nonsense.

A Postman should definitely get paid more than a dustbin man/woman, a cleaner, a food delivery driver, a receptionist, a window cleaner, a waiter or waitress....

why....

1. You need to have a drivers license and drive vehicles including transit vans. There is risk involved with driving. A lapse of concentration could lead to serious injury to yourself or others. A receptionist has a very low risk of being involved in a serious accident. The worst a postman could do is leave the handbrake off and the car rolls down a hill and runs over and kills a load of people. The worst a receptionist could do is spill some hot coffee on their lap.

2. You are out in all weathers.

3. No easy access to toilets or refreshment facilities.

4. Dog attacks. Falling over on ice, wet leaves or other hazards etc....

5. Limited flexibility with holiday bookings. You aren't allowed to have any holiday off in December and have to book holidays well in advance and they have to be whole weeks.

6. Working Saturdays.

7. I also feel it's probably easier to get sacked from being a Postie as it is to get sacked from most other low skilled jobs. There is so much that can go wrong.

8. You are walking ~10 miles a day which impacts on your body. I am constantly aching. Who knows what working in this job 10, 20, 30 years+ does to your body, but it can't be good.

The low skilled jobs I listed above may match some of the above points I have made. For me, the fact that I am in pain outside of work due to the amount of walking we do, means I should definitely get paid more for this job than the last job I had sitting in a cosy office doing a basic job on a computer of which there was no risk of me slipping on a wet leaf and falling down stairs and breaking some ribs, or getting bitten by a dog, or risk of me pooing my pants because there are no toilets around, or risk of me getting hit by a falling tree in windy conditions.

On top of all this. Based on how much house prices have gone up, IMO the minimum wage in the UK should be £15 by now (at least in the south east). So all low skilled workers are well underpaid, wages barely move, whereas house prices have shot up, at least where I live.

As Royal Mail have a blanket wage throughout the country then the hourly wage has to be set high enough so that those in the richer parts of the country can get by, the people in the poorer areas benefit as a result of this.
Last edited by norris9 on 07 Nov 2019, 18:33, edited 3 times in total.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by wacko74 »

So we're overpaid?

My sister gets paid £1.50 per hour less than me working in a shop/cafe... even on a ''busy day'' she has plenty of downtime to chat with colleagues and customers, mess around on her phone or read a book, on the quiet days she can have virtually nothing at all to do for almost her entire shift.
All whilst working alongside the manager and owner of the business who obviously has no issue at all with workload (or lack of) and doesn't consider their employees to be skiving or having it too easy.

Although I probably would get a bit bored having a job where some shifts I had virtually nothing at all to do I'd still gladly work for £1.50 an hour less and not have to be almost constantly on painkillers with ruined Knees and ankles , whilst traipsing the streets in all weathers, suffering sunburn and heatstroke in the summer and then often having to wear clothes that are still wet from the day before in the depths of winter.
nelly21
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 14:14
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by nelly21 »

Nobody wants to strike but you have to make a stand and fight for the terms and agreements that was agreed 18 months or more ago. Pure greed is destroying this great company
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Post by work »

Hey frankieboy... RTS: refused :cuppa
Last edited by work on 08 Nov 2019, 12:35, edited 2 times in total.
nelly21
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 14:14
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by nelly21 »

When will the dates for industrial action be announced by cwu ?
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by Numberone63 »

nelly21 wrote:When will the dates for industrial action be announced by cwu ?
Next Wednesday? I think.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by Chelseablue »

If youve any respect for youreself you know the way to go .Staff not in the union can come out on strike with us too , am i right?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by scoobydo79 »

Chelseablue wrote:If youve any respect for youreself you know the way to go .Staff not in the union can come out on strike with us too , am i right?
Not sure but think they are on sticky wicket if non union strike.They can’t technically claim industrial action and can be done for unauthorised absence. Perhaps Trueblue or someone more knowledgeable then Me will weigh in as I’m not certain
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How dare you Royal Mail......

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

scoobydo79 wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:If youve any respect for youreself you know the way to go .Staff not in the union can come out on strike with us too , am i right?
Not sure but think they are on sticky wicket if non union strike.They can’t technically claim industrial action and can be done for unauthorised absence. Perhaps Trueblue or someone more knowledgeable then Me will weigh in as I’m not certain
The law hasn't changed.

https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action-st ... ial-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dismissal for industrial action
You can’t be dismissed for industrial action if:

it’s called as a result of a properly organised ballot
it’s about a trade dispute between workers and their employer (eg about your terms and conditions)
a detailed notice about the industrial action (which is legally required) has been given to the employer at least 7 days before it begins
You can claim unfair dismissal at an employment tribunal if you’re dismissed for taking industrial action at any time within the 12 weeks after the action began.
Industrial action by non-union members
Non-union members who take part in legal, official industrial action have the same rights as union members not to be dismissed as a result of taking action.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.