It’s not an ideal job now especially with 2 in a van, here are some tips I have learnt over the years, try some of them & see how u go, you don’t say in your original post are u working with somebody else or on your own, if u work with a partner ask if u can work on your own, most offices do have some single routes, it is better & with your anxiety it will help you if your not stressed out by somebody running you down all the time, eg not being quick enough
1 write the FIB cards out before u go out, band the FIB with the parcel, but the date on the parcel, it normally takes me about 20 minutes in the morning, people will say I haven’t got time for this but believe me I save more than 20 minutes when I’m on delivery.
2 cut the loops down easier if your on a single delivery, if your not carrying the weight on your back it helps you get round quicker, never use trolley especially the cheap golf trolley things
3 take something to eat & have a break half way through even if it’s just 10 minutes, u will find that like a car if you but something inside you it will take the tiredness away and refresh u
Hope some of these tips help u, it’s not an easy job this time of year, people do get stressed, people say work to your time but I have experience myself of this it’s not that easy especially if u don’t have much confidence in yourself, standing up to these managers is hard work, some of the delivery offices are very clickey, some even resemble a prison from my own experience
If u can speak to your manager, get the union involved, explain your problems ask if u can work on a single delivery it will help u, but the biggest tip I can give u is stick it out to after Christmas, get some money for it and then c where u go after Christmas.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New starter doubts
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
New starter doubts
You are wasting time and the environment filling out 739 cards before you even need them! Can't believe your manager lets you do this. 'never use a trolley' ? Are you having a laugh? On the op contract time I don't think they are entitled to a break.woody38 wrote:It’s not an ideal job now especially with 2 in a van, here are some tips I have learnt over the years, try some of them & see how u go, you don’t say in your original post are u working with somebody else or on your own, if u work with a partner ask if u can work on your own, most offices do have some single routes, it is better & with your anxiety it will help you if your not stressed out by somebody running you down all the time, eg not being quick enough
1 write the FIB cards out before u go out, band the FIB with the parcel, but the date on the parcel, it normally takes me about 20 minutes in the morning, people will say I haven’t got time for this but believe me I save more than 20 minutes when I’m on delivery.
2 cut the loops down easier if your on a single delivery, if your not carrying the weight on your back it helps you get round quicker, never use trolley especially the cheap golf trolley things
3 take something to eat & have a break half way through even if it’s just 10 minutes, u will find that like a car if you but something inside you it will take the tiredness away and refresh u
Hope some of these tips help u, it’s not an easy job this time of year, people do get stressed, people say work to your time but I have experience myself of this it’s not that easy especially if u don’t have much confidence in yourself, standing up to these managers is hard work, some of the delivery offices are very clickey, some even resemble a prison from my own experience
If u can speak to your manager, get the union involved, explain your problems ask if u can work on a single delivery it will help u, but the biggest tip I can give u is stick it out to after Christmas, get some money for it and then c where u go after Christmas.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
New starter doubts
My managers are in for a shock in the next few weeks. My misses comes off her maternity leave next month. When she goes back too work she's working lates. So I need to finish work on time so i can get home too look after the baby while she goes too work. All in time for the busy period 
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
New starter doubts
The golf trolleys are useless every time I have used them I have a bad knee, nobody in our office uses them they are dumbed in the corner, better as ai said to cut the loops down make them smaller, we also have smaller bags that are easier to walk with, as-fore your comment on me writing the FIB cards out before I got out, my manager knows I do, I have been doing it for years, until you try something don’t mock somebody for trying to help somebody out who is new and struggling. I have been a postman for over 30 years & as I said before some of these tips will help him .rambo1 wrote:You are wasting time and the environment filling out 739 cards before you even need them! Can't believe your manager lets you do this. 'never use a trolley' ? Are you having a laugh? On the op contract time I don't think they are entitled to a break.woody38 wrote:It’s not an ideal job now especially with 2 in a van, here are some tips I have learnt over the years, try some of them & see how u go, you don’t say in your original post are u working with somebody else or on your own, if u work with a partner ask if u can work on your own, most offices do have some single routes, it is better & with your anxiety it will help you if your not stressed out by somebody running you down all the time, eg not being quick enough
1 write the FIB cards out before u go out, band the FIB with the parcel, but the date on the parcel, it normally takes me about 20 minutes in the morning, people will say I haven’t got time for this but believe me I save more than 20 minutes when I’m on delivery.
2 cut the loops down easier if your on a single delivery, if your not carrying the weight on your back it helps you get round quicker, never use trolley especially the cheap golf trolley things
3 take something to eat & have a break half way through even if it’s just 10 minutes, u will find that like a car if you but something inside you it will take the tiredness away and refresh u
Hope some of these tips help u, it’s not an easy job this time of year, people do get stressed, people say work to your time but I have experience myself of this it’s not that easy especially if u don’t have much confidence in yourself, standing up to these managers is hard work, some of the delivery offices are very clickey, some even resemble a prison from my own experience
If u can speak to your manager, get the union involved, explain your problems ask if u can work on a single delivery it will help u, but the biggest tip I can give u is stick it out to after Christmas, get some money for it and then c where u go after Christmas.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
New starter doubts
Really sorry if you thought I was mocking you, I certainly wasn't trying to put you down at all.woody38 wrote:The golf trolleys are useless every time I have used them I have a bad knee, nobody in our office uses them they are dumbed in the corner, better as ai said to cut the loops down make them smaller, we also have smaller bags that are easier to walk with, as-fore your comment on me writing the FIB cards out before I got out, my manager knows I do, I have been doing it for years, until you try something don’t mock somebody for trying to help somebody out who is new and struggling. I have been a postman for over 30 years & as I said before some of these tips will help him .rambo1 wrote:You are wasting time and the environment filling out 739 cards before you even need them! Can't believe your manager lets you do this. 'never use a trolley' ? Are you having a laugh? On the op contract time I don't think they are entitled to a break.woody38 wrote:It’s not an ideal job now especially with 2 in a van, here are some tips I have learnt over the years, try some of them & see how u go, you don’t say in your original post are u working with somebody else or on your own, if u work with a partner ask if u can work on your own, most offices do have some single routes, it is better & with your anxiety it will help you if your not stressed out by somebody running you down all the time, eg not being quick enough
1 write the FIB cards out before u go out, band the FIB with the parcel, but the date on the parcel, it normally takes me about 20 minutes in the morning, people will say I haven’t got time for this but believe me I save more than 20 minutes when I’m on delivery.
2 cut the loops down easier if your on a single delivery, if your not carrying the weight on your back it helps you get round quicker, never use trolley especially the cheap golf trolley things
3 take something to eat & have a break half way through even if it’s just 10 minutes, u will find that like a car if you but something inside you it will take the tiredness away and refresh u
Hope some of these tips help u, it’s not an easy job this time of year, people do get stressed, people say work to your time but I have experience myself of this it’s not that easy especially if u don’t have much confidence in yourself, standing up to these managers is hard work, some of the delivery offices are very clickey, some even resemble a prison from my own experience
If u can speak to your manager, get the union involved, explain your problems ask if u can work on a single delivery it will help u, but the biggest tip I can give u is stick it out to after Christmas, get some money for it and then c where u go after Christmas.
Was just pointing out that taking 20 mins to write out 739 cards most of which you will never use is a. Wasteful and b. Not very time efficient.
We really shouldn't be telling new starters to not use correct equipment i. e lwt. If you're in a van share, how do you break down loops into just carrying one bundle! Where do you put the packets?
I don't want to judge however I reckon the way you work can't be very efficient and I've also done over 20 yrs.