Well saidKesknight wrote:Just do your own thing. Start on your proper time and go home on your finishing time. If you can't complete your round in the time, it's not your problem. Theres no manager or anybody else can bully you.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
-
compostcorner
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
i dont think the problem is the job, the problem is the depression, it doesnt matter what job you get, if your depressed it will get you down. but as most people have said, just work your hours, take your breaks and go home, your boss cannot make you work over your time.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
but they can make your life hell with constant scrutiny, fact finding, especially if most of your work mates complete their duty before their time and you do the job properly but cannot complete in time. They can be the cause of depression.compostcorner wrote:i dont think the problem is the job, the problem is the depression, it doesnt matter what job you get, if your depressed it will get you down. but as most people have said, just work your hours, take your breaks and go home, your boss cannot make you work over your time.
-
compostcorner
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
dont worry about what time other people finish, just do your own job and finish on time or cut off, the unusual thing about our job is that everybody works at different speeds, when i have my day off i have a 20 year old super fit lad doing my job,he runs around and leaps over fences and he"s an hour and a half quicker than me, i"m an old codger with a gammy leg so i cant compete with that, but good luck to him, if he can get away it then well done, i just focus on what i am doing, and if i finish anywhere near my finish time its a good result.redneck wrote:but they can make your life hell with constant scrutiny, fact finding, especially if most of your work mates complete their duty before their time and you do the job properly but cannot complete in time. They can be the cause of depression.compostcorner wrote:i dont think the problem is the job, the problem is the depression, it doesnt matter what job you get, if your depressed it will get you down. but as most people have said, just work your hours, take your breaks and go home, your boss cannot make you work over your time.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
Cutting off actually incurs more stress as you have to daily have the 'conversation' with your manager, who might be reasonable, but more than likely in my experience, not. Now, some people can take this and it's water off a ducks back, however, others who are prone to stress and anxiety will really struggle with this daily conflict.Kesknight wrote:Just do your own thing. Start on your proper time and go home on your finishing time. If you can't complete your round in the time, it's not your problem. Theres no manager or anybody else can bully you.
Sometimes it's not as easy as just saying ' work to time' . It should be, but the reality is, it isn't.
-
mags999
- Posts: 372
- Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
totally agree being challenged about performance after 30 plus years is quite hard to take whether your thick skinned or not 
-
Flashman_
- Posts: 363
- Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
Spot on, Rambo1. I often have to tell managers that I will be cutting off, or at least leaving the flex. I have to muster my nerve each time I do this, as they give me the usual excuses as to why I should not have any problems in finishing on time, followed by snide or derogatory comments. This causes me a lot of stress, but I am also stubborn, so for me I have no alternative but to accept the stress. I really understand why some people give in to this bullying attitude, however so do the managers and that's why they do it.rambo1 wrote:Cutting off actually incurs more stress as you have to daily have the 'conversation' with your manager, who might be reasonable, but more than likely in my experience, not. Now, some people can take this and it's water off a ducks back, however, others who are prone to stress and anxiety will really struggle with this daily conflict.Kesknight wrote:Just do your own thing. Start on your proper time and go home on your finishing time. If you can't complete your round in the time, it's not your problem. Theres no manager or anybody else can bully you.
Sometimes it's not as easy as just saying ' work to time' . It should be, but the reality is, it isn't.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
The pay (granted) is pretty good for an unskilled job but anyone can always better themselves. I work 30 hrs, I dread going into work mainly because I also have a part time partner on a 9.20 start, I start at 8.45 and im fighting each day with the manager why my duty is not prepped up to any standard, no D2D's prepped for me etc but they do not care.The manager is also waiting for one single slip up so that he can conduct them,loads of people are on tenterhooks in our office, all for a whopping £290 a week. My last job was unskilled but although I did 5 more hours a week for the same money I was treated like a human being, I wasn't battering my body in harsh winters and longer walks...oh and had weekends off. I loved Royal Mail until 18 months ago and in another 18 months (or sooner) it will be worse. As soon as the right opening comes along i'll be off with no regrets. I pity those that are in their 20's and 30's that still have 35+ years in the job.mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:If you don't like the job leave its that simple.
But you are like the rest on here and could not earn anywhere as much as you do with Royal Mail anywhere else.
-
mattjo1@talktalk.net
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
But it's a job you have decided to do. No-one forces you to stay. There are lots of people who would take your place.
-
Startingover
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:But it's a job you have decided to do. No-one forces you to stay. There are lots of people who would take your place.
In the past, there may have "lots of people", but that was due to the positive remarks that the workforce made about RM. Now, there appears to be a lot of negativity, which will put applicants off from applying. RM really need to look at the way they interact with their employees and come into the modern era.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
I know exactly what you are saying. I'm 32 and I'm going to try and stick it out for a couple of more years (pay the my bundle stuff off) then I'm out off here. There is no way I can last till retirement. My body is already falling apart after 6 yearspostiewhite wrote:The pay (granted) is pretty good for an unskilled job but anyone can always better themselves. I work 30 hrs, I dread going into work mainly because I also have a part time partner on a 9.20 start, I start at 8.45 and im fighting each day with the manager why my duty is not prepped up to any standard, no D2D's prepped for me etc but they do not care.The manager is also waiting for one single slip up so that he can conduct them,loads of people are on tenterhooks in our office, all for a whopping £290 a week. My last job was unskilled but although I did 5 more hours a week for the same money I was treated like a human being, I wasn't battering my body in harsh winters and longer walks...oh and had weekends off. I loved Royal Mail until 18 months ago and in another 18 months (or sooner) it will be worse. As soon as the right opening comes along i'll be off with no regrets. I pity those that are in their 20's and 30's that still have 35+ years in the job.mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:If you don't like the job leave its that simple.
But you are like the rest on here and could not earn anywhere as much as you do with Royal Mail anywhere else.
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
Drop some weight.CPTNemoUK wrote:I know exactly what you are saying. I'm 32 and I'm going to try and stick it out for a couple of more years (pay the my bundle stuff off) then I'm out off here. There is no way I can last till retirement. My body is already falling apart after 6 yearspostiewhite wrote:The pay (granted) is pretty good for an unskilled job but anyone can always better themselves. I work 30 hrs, I dread going into work mainly because I also have a part time partner on a 9.20 start, I start at 8.45 and im fighting each day with the manager why my duty is not prepped up to any standard, no D2D's prepped for me etc but they do not care.The manager is also waiting for one single slip up so that he can conduct them,loads of people are on tenterhooks in our office, all for a whopping £290 a week. My last job was unskilled but although I did 5 more hours a week for the same money I was treated like a human being, I wasn't battering my body in harsh winters and longer walks...oh and had weekends off. I loved Royal Mail until 18 months ago and in another 18 months (or sooner) it will be worse. As soon as the right opening comes along i'll be off with no regrets. I pity those that are in their 20's and 30's that still have 35+ years in the job.mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:If you don't like the job leave its that simple.
But you are like the rest on here and could not earn anywhere as much as you do with Royal Mail anywhere else.
I never had any issues with fitness and I was lightning quick for six days a week, every week.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
Well said my friend,the old it’s not the job for you anymore does grate a bit after 37 years!mags999 wrote:totally agree being challenged about performance after 30 plus years is quite hard to take whether your thick skinned or not
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
Love my kebabs too much for thatTrail wrote:Drop some weight.CPTNemoUK wrote:I know exactly what you are saying. I'm 32 and I'm going to try and stick it out for a couple of more years (pay the my bundle stuff off) then I'm out off here. There is no way I can last till retirement. My body is already falling apart after 6 yearspostiewhite wrote:The pay (granted) is pretty good for an unskilled job but anyone can always better themselves. I work 30 hrs, I dread going into work mainly because I also have a part time partner on a 9.20 start, I start at 8.45 and im fighting each day with the manager why my duty is not prepped up to any standard, no D2D's prepped for me etc but they do not care.The manager is also waiting for one single slip up so that he can conduct them,loads of people are on tenterhooks in our office, all for a whopping £290 a week. My last job was unskilled but although I did 5 more hours a week for the same money I was treated like a human being, I wasn't battering my body in harsh winters and longer walks...oh and had weekends off. I loved Royal Mail until 18 months ago and in another 18 months (or sooner) it will be worse. As soon as the right opening comes along i'll be off with no regrets. I pity those that are in their 20's and 30's that still have 35+ years in the job.mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:If you don't like the job leave its that simple.
But you are like the rest on here and could not earn anywhere as much as you do with Royal Mail anywhere else.
I never had any issues with fitness and I was lightning quick for six days a week, every week.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Who else thinks this job is crap.?
What makes the job seem crap these days is watching it be torn apart.its always been hard going we had sky mags mailsort reader's digest articles for the blind which were cassettes David Urquhart travel brochures spring to mind.managers were stricter back then there not strict now there more devious nice to your face etc.lapsing van share and trying to make money from what was a public service has ruined the job.oh and we worked 6 days but you didn't mind that sdd played apart to come back and take a break with your fellow workers before you went out 2nd delivery.then we got first line fix to buy stuff for a canteen nobody used anymore lol I could go on.