ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Managers that I don't like.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by postslippete »

p5aul789 wrote:Yes, I mean a shared van duty! I never have any breaks, if I did we would not finish on time! As said before, I have been out on shared duty doing two walks before just working all the way through to finish.

See my post in " Who else thinks the job is crap"!

My problem is that the job is driving me f***ing mad!
Are you in the Union and do you have a good union rep?? We all get pressure from the screws to work past our time and sometimes it feels like a you and them mentality. However,you've got to be very careful when not completing. You don't say if you have a regular duty or whether you're a floater but regardless Royal Mail will use "operational needs" to cover duties if you can drive. You are entitled to a break so why not take one before you leave the office and ask your manager for some more work off?? If the manager insists you take the work,then you ring them up once you are out there telling them what you will be bringing back. I know it sounds easy for me to say but I'm a veteran at this.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by p5aul789 »

postslippete wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:Yes, I mean a shared van duty! I never have any breaks, if I did we would not finish on time! As said before, I have been out on shared duty doing two walks before just working all the way through to finish.

See my post in " Who else thinks the job is crap"!

My problem is that the job is driving me f***ing mad!
Are you in the Union and do you have a good union rep?? We all get pressure from the screws to work past our time and sometimes it feels like a you and them mentality. However,you've got to be very careful when not completing. You don't say if you have a regular duty or whether you're a floater but regardless Royal Mail will use "operational needs" to cover duties if you can drive. You are entitled to a break so why not take one before you leave the office and ask your manager for some more work off?? If the manager insists you take the work,then you ring them up once you are out there telling them what you will be bringing back. I know it sounds easy for me to say but I'm a veteran at this.
"Ask your manager for some more work off? Sorry I don't understand what you mean, please explain.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3729
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by yellowbelly »

p5aul789 wrote:
postslippete wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:Yes, I mean a shared van duty! I never have any breaks, if I did we would not finish on time! As said before, I have been out on shared duty doing two walks before just working all the way through to finish.

See my post in " Who else thinks the job is crap"!

My problem is that the job is driving me f***ing mad!
Are you in the Union and do you have a good union rep?? We all get pressure from the screws to work past our time and sometimes it feels like a you and them mentality. However,you've got to be very careful when not completing. You don't say if you have a regular duty or whether you're a floater but regardless Royal Mail will use "operational needs" to cover duties if you can drive. You are entitled to a break so why not take one before you leave the office and ask your manager for some more work off?? If the manager insists you take the work,then you ring them up once you are out there telling them what you will be bringing back. I know it sounds easy for me to say but I'm a veteran at this.
"Ask your manager for some more work off? Sorry I don't understand what you mean, please explain.
Inform the manager as soon as possible when prepping the delivery that you don't believe you will be able to complete the duty within
your contracted hours (including your break!!) - it is then up to him/her to devise a solution - which could include 'taking work off' i.e. getting
someone else to do the loop(s) that you will not be able to complete within your contracted hours.

This is commonly known as 'cutting off' on the shop floor but there is a process that you have to follow - see the Postal Delivery
Members Handbook, "Royal Mail Avoiding Delay Process" in the following link:

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ry+members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by joewyan »

p5aul789 wrote:Yes, I mean a shared van duty! I never have any breaks, if I did we would not finish on time! As said before, I have been out on shared duty doing two walks before just working all the way through to finish.

See my post in " Who else thinks the job is crap"!

My problem is that the job is driving me f***ing mad!
Sorry, I don’t mean to sound harsh but how is this job driving you mad? It’s not exactly brain surgery. You have a start time and a finish time and a break allowance. Follow procedures if you can’t get done on time and go home. You are lucky if you can work on your own and are allowed to come in late in order to do so. Most of this job nowadays is van share especially if you are low in seniority.
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

I think p5aul789 has other issues and he is just blaming Royal Mail.

If it wasn't Royal Mail it would be something else which was causing the issue
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by Jpro747 »

I realise that depression is a hard struggle with negative thoughts and sometimes you can’t see a way out (I’ve been there myself). But you need to realise there is a better life out there. You just need to take action. Small steps at a time. You also need to know that it is you, and only you that can make that happen. Doing the same things and living in the same cycle will not change a thing! That’s reality. So start making changes, but start with little things so you don’t get overwhelmed! Try to remember things which you used to enjoy and go do them, even if it’s just for 10 minutes. Be mindful of what’s happening around you rather than what’s going on in your mind in order to distract yourself from your negative thoughts. How about you start tomorrow by taking a break mid shift and see if you feel any different?
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by CharlesSpooner »

chrisj wrote:I am confused about this post! Most posties do not have a choice working in pairs. And the worst deliveries rarely go over 5 hours. So if you leave the office at say 9.50, you should be back by 2.30 or so. That is still less than 5 hours. Find out your start and finish times, as well as your break, then work your contract...
Maybe in your office but there are plenty of walks that go over 5 hours if everything is took in our office.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by CharlesSpooner »

postslippete wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:Firstly, I suffer from depression, and struggle with the job, I also don't like the job!

I am on a 25 hour contract.

For ages, I have been coming in late around 11am because I have been waiting for a van to return so I can go out!

I have been working on my own doing one walk.

On Thursday, it rained heavily and I got soaked through. It was one of those days, the PDA packed up, all the 739 cards got wet etc.

I brought back quite a few packets, because i had done my hours, did'nt have time to deliver and was Pissed off.

The new management did'nt like this, and made me deliver the packets the following day in a van, after my trolley walk.

They have no idea that I struggle with the job.

I said, I was not happy with this and was told, if I refused I would face disciplinary action.

I explaned in the meeting that I have been coming in late and going out alone which suits me. The main manager seemed ok with this. He also said if I came in at my normal time, I would have to go out with someone else and do two walks. There is also a young under manager who I don't like that has a power trip problem, who was there in the meeting.

My hours are supposed to be 9 to 2.


Today, I was told by the under manager to come in on Monday at 8.30 and go out with someone else to do two walks.

I asked him why i have to go out and do two walks, he said the other bloke does'nt drive, (A likely story)

I fear, this is now the shape of things to come.

He is going to keep trying to assert his power over me and is going to make my life a misery.

It's funny that the young manager is now trying to get me to come in earlier and go out and do two walks? A coincidence? I don't think so!

What can I do?

So you come in at 11 and finish at 2pm (you work 3 hours a day) yet you say that are on a 25 hour contract - how does that work?? Are you on rehab or summat for your depression? Surely any manager worth their salt will get you working your contracted hours by sharing the van and working in pairs rather than have you enjoying your lie-in everyday and still finishing early. Sorry bud, but if it were me and you said that you would prefer to work alone then I would have you working when there is a van available at 11 and then working till 4pm. That way you're still working your contracted hours.
I'd assume that the OP does finish 2 hours later if he/she starts 2 hours late. It seems like there has been an agreement that they can work alone but would have to start later due to there not being a van available until then.