ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Made have a break and work to time
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
Our area Union rep is forcing our office to take 20 mins before delivery, even if you've only been at work an hr and a half. Then youre allowed 20 mins while out, not at end. Any more and you get it docked from any overtime that day. Thats the Union stance. Only reason you can claim any break at the end of your shift is if your day has been more than 9 hrs long, then you can claim your extra 20 mins break youre entitled to.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
Edit, extra 10 mins, not 20.
-
billycat
- Posts: 140
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 20:40
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
I was talking to a senior manager, and he told me the productivity levels between the north and the south is massive, all royal mail want to do is bring the south up to the level of the north, whether this is true I don't know, the point I was making to him was we cannot make anymore cuts in our office the majority of our office take our breaks and work to our time, I even challenged him to look at the PDA actuals , so coming on this forum and reading some comments regarding finishing well before your time and moaning about taking your break you need to wake up, regarding royal mail cutting our working week by one hour a lot of offices around the country already have this reduction finishing early don't be surprised if royal mail provide office managers with this information why wouldn't they start on your time finish on your time or book the extra if that's what you want.
-
smok3y666
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
Is this your first job?Dindin wrote:The management make us have a break and we can't early
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
I fear the culture of people not taking breaks, starting early, running round walks will never be broken until it hits people in the pocket by way of being paid for hours worked. Spare me the 'I work faster/more efficiently so I deserve to be in the house an hour before finishing time' style of reasoning.
It means absolutely nothing to middle/higher management.
It means absolutely nothing to middle/higher management.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
Can you claim even if you’ve finished early previously?thats our bosses reply if we can’t complete,it doesn’t effect many just a few of us old slow dinosaurs!who he must hate with a passion!,readingpete wrote:In our office we’ve been allowed to take 20 minutes before we go out and take 20 minutes off of the end. We don’t have longs and shorts. We have 0624-1400 every day and were allowed to book OT from 13:40.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
The PDA actuals won't differentiate between a break being taken at the end of the delivery and someone finishing early. Higher up have no way of knowing that the early finish is due to a break being taken at the end so they're just going to deem a person to have finished early
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
all your pda data and going out time is based on a 20 min m/r being taken before you leave the office , so if your due out at say 9.30am but you get out at 8.45 through not taking your break , or starting early etc etc , r/m will see that is 45 mins x 2 = 1hr - 30m in one van , so they will either give you more delivery or they will take the hours out the office which will mean deliverys going and you will still kop for more delivery
, thats why the cwu are telling posties to do the job right
and if it cant be done thats not your problem 
-
parforthewalk
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 10 Feb 2013, 17:23
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
'all your pda data and going out time is based on a 20 min m/r being taken before you leave the office'
My understanding is that the PDA does not start to record anything until you leave the office, hence 'Outdoor Actuals'.
So for the 20mins M/R to show properly, ideally park up & sit for the full 20mins. (BTW This is what I now do every day when at work, inc SATURDAY).
You will then get an 'enormous yellow dot' registered on your PDA map record of that particular day.
Mr Lino will then haul you in his office to challenge you on your non-movement (aka your performance..yawn..), to which you smugly reply with three polite words...'Break time Gov'!
My understanding is that the PDA does not start to record anything until you leave the office, hence 'Outdoor Actuals'.
So for the 20mins M/R to show properly, ideally park up & sit for the full 20mins. (BTW This is what I now do every day when at work, inc SATURDAY).
You will then get an 'enormous yellow dot' registered on your PDA map record of that particular day.
Mr Lino will then haul you in his office to challenge you on your non-movement (aka your performance..yawn..), to which you smugly reply with three polite words...'Break time Gov'!
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
I always put my break down in the memo section on the PDA ( 3 DOTS IN RIGHT HAND CORNER)parforthewalk wrote:'all your pda data and going out time is based on a 20 min m/r being taken before you leave the office'
My understanding is that the PDA does not start to record anything until you leave the office, hence 'Outdoor Actuals'.
So for the 20mins M/R to show properly, ideally park up & sit for the full 20mins. (BTW This is what I now do every day when at work, inc SATURDAY).
You will then get an 'enormous yellow dot' registered on your PDA map record of that particular day.
Mr Lino will then haul you in his office to challenge you on your non-movement (aka your performance..yawn..), to which you smugly reply with three polite words...'Break time Gov'!
-
Gangham_style14
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
How can the OP look for Sympathy? This is why the job is in the state its in and pda actuals are being looked at. The runners and posties who want to get home hours before their finish time! If RM put in a clocking in system which only paid you for the hours you worked. I’m sure people would have no problem sticking to their official duty times.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
It doesn't bother me going home at the end of the shift . I was informing everyone what's possible . coming to your DOGangham_style14 wrote:How can the OP look for Sympathy? This is why the job is in the state its in and pda actuals are being looked at. The runners and posties who want to get home hours before their finish time! If RM put in a clocking in system which only paid you for the hours you worked. I’m sure people would have no problem sticking to their official duty times.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
I do rurals from time to time and never carry the pda unless I need it. I'm convinced I'm gonna be pulled at some point because if they check the actuals it'll probably show me having about 2 hours worth or breaks
But I'm bolloxed if I'm carry it around. I don't use a bag for rurals and those pdas are heavy.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Made have a break and work to time
The only complaint I have about breaks is they want us to have half of our break at 9am before me leave. Ita just Monday and tuesday I start at 8.15, i do not want/need a break then so I end up arguing with management can 8 have it later in the day in the van when I need it. 
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Made have a break and work to time
What does your partner say about this?CPTNemoUK wrote:The only complaint I have about breaks is they want us to have half of our break at 9am before me leave. Ita just Monday and tuesday I start at 8.15, i do not want/need a break then so I end up arguing with management can 8 have it later in the day in the van when I need it.