ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by number one »

glass joe wrote:Haven't got time for this my delivery is unfairly longer than the average walk in my office. If a 12-year-old answers the door they can have the item.
Then you may well be sacked
glass joe
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by glass joe »

Everyone pretty much going to sack if Royal Mail get their way.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by number one »

glass joe wrote:Everyone pretty much going to sack if Royal Mail get their way.
Only if you make it easy for them
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by SpacePhoenix »

It just means more walks cutting off and cut offs being larger
billycat
Posts: 140
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 20:40
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by billycat »

As a work place coach I took the wtl session this morning I had some absolutely ridiculous questions which I tried to answer the two new products in question are a new money stream for royal mail which pay our wages , we have a start time and finish time what is the problem, I was speaking to a yodel driver this morning now they have a lot to moan about, if the job is so terrible get yourselves a different one, the terms and conditions which the union over the years have negotiated for us are fantastic, our main goal should be to protect them, support your union.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by Seymour Buts »

I suspect these items will be so few and far between it'll barely effect any of us but it is a farce. If my wife answers the door she can't sign for my phone? Despite the fact she's in our house and has the same last name? You're having a laugh.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by Celgar »

Seymour Buts wrote:I suspect these items will be so few and far between it'll barely effect any of us but it is a farce. If my wife answers the door she can't sign for my phone? Despite the fact she's in our house and has the same last name? You're having a laugh.
We probably didn't think there would be many 'safeplace' tracked items and 2D barcodes but both are quite prevalent now and especially the 2D barcodes. I think if RM can get the price competitive there be a fair amount of these new products used especially the service for expensive items to specific residents. I agree there is the possibility for us receiving some flak in the process of delivering these items.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:
Seymour Buts wrote:I suspect these items will be so few and far between it'll barely effect any of us but it is a farce. If my wife answers the door she can't sign for my phone? Despite the fact she's in our house and has the same last name? You're having a laugh.
We probably didn't think there would be many 'safeplace' tracked items and 2D barcodes but both are quite prevalent now and especially the 2D barcodes. I think if RM can get the price competitive there be a fair amount of these new products used especially the service for expensive items to specific residents. I agree there is the possibility for us receiving some flak in the process of delivering these items.
Give it long enough and I reckon that there'll be 2D barcodes on every packet that originates in the UK eventually
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by Seymour Buts »

Celgar wrote:
Seymour Buts wrote:I suspect these items will be so few and far between it'll barely effect any of us but it is a farce. If my wife answers the door she can't sign for my phone? Despite the fact she's in our house and has the same last name? You're having a laugh.
We probably didn't think there would be many 'safeplace' tracked items and 2D barcodes but both are quite prevalent now and especially the 2D barcodes. I think if RM can get the price competitive there be a fair amount of these new products used especially the service for expensive items to specific residents. I agree there is the possibility for us receiving some flak in the process of delivering these items.
Fair point but 2d's are just a basic form of tracking which is desirable to both Royal Mail and the customer. These new services may well be desired by Royal Mail as any additional revenue stream will be, but I suspect it'll be a different issue with the customers. They can ONLY be left with one person or somebody over 18 which limits options on delivery and will lead to more parcels being formed. It also depends on us winning these contracts which is no given. There are cheaper carriers than us for reasons we're all well aware of.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by Justanotherstar »

Can imagine the conversations now...
"so you knock on MY door then ask me for ID? you must be out of your damn mind!!!"
:chuckle :chuckle :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by weary_posty »

It’s pretty straight forward. 2 separate products.

Age verification:

You knock on the door. If you believe the person to be under the age of 25 you ask for ID. if they have it and it shows they are 18+ you can hand the item over.
If they are under 18 or have no ID you 739 the parcel.

This is done totally at the OPG’s discretion. An OPG cannot be held responsible for any genuine mistakes made with this process.



Delivery to an Individual: knock on the door. Ask for the person the parcel is addressed to. That person needs to provide ID to proof their identity. Once they have and you are happy they are that person you hand the parcel over.
If they can not produce ID or aren’t the person the parcel is addressed to you 739 it.


If when these products come in they take you over your time and you don’t want to extend it’s easy. CUT OFF.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by number one »

weary_posty wrote:It’s pretty straight forward. 2 separate products.

Age verification:

You knock on the door. If you believe the person to be under the age of 25 you ask for ID. if they have it and it shows they are 18+ you can hand the item over.
If they are under 18 or have no ID you 739 the parcel.

This is done totally at the OPG’s discretion. An OPG cannot be held responsible for any genuine mistakes made with this process.



Delivery to an Individual: knock on the door. Ask for the person the parcel is addressed to. That person needs to provide ID to proof their identity. Once they have and you are happy they are that person you hand the parcel over.
If they can not produce ID or aren’t the person the parcel is addressed to you 739 it.


If when these products come in they take you over your time and you don’t want to extend it’s easy. CUT OFF.
Well said! It really is that simple. People just look for any excuse not to do something
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by GRS »

Yep it is simple and shouldn’t cause any problems at all. HOWEVER not everybody out there is a reasonable person or knows how to act in a civilised manner if something doesn’t go their way. We saw a RMTV video on this the other day and yes it’s all very nice and twee with both postman and customer being very cheesy. They didn’t choose to show someone being difficult,abusive or possibly violent. The problem is normal people can turn this way if they don’t get their own way. If you’ve delivered to someone for years and they’ve taken stuff in for neighbours etc and all of a sudden you won’t hand something over to them they possibly won’t take too kindly to it. One thing I won’t be doing is knocking on a neighbour’s door to get them to take the item and then have to ask them for ID before passing it over. That is taking the piss!!
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by Ozzvaldo »

GRS wrote:Yep it is simple and shouldn’t cause any problems at all. HOWEVER not everybody out there is a reasonable person or knows how to act in a civilised manner if something doesn’t go their way. We saw a RMTV video on this the other day and yes it’s all very nice and twee with both postman and customer being very cheesy. They didn’t choose to show someone being difficult,abusive or possibly violent. The problem is normal people can turn this way if they don’t get their own way. If you’ve delivered to someone for years and they’ve taken stuff in for neighbours etc and all of a sudden you won’t hand something over to them they possibly won’t take too kindly to it. One thing I won’t be doing is knocking on a neighbour’s door to get them to take the item and then have to ask them for ID before passing it over. That is taking the piss!!
I have been assaulted on delivery in the past for refusing to hand over mail in the street to somebody who demanded i search through my trolley to look for it. I was also threatened with repercussions if I reported it to the police. (I did, he went to jail). I have experienced first hand how unreasonable and confrontational some people can be, and I guarantee that within a few months of this product being launched that postie(s) somewhere in the country will be on the receiving end of abusive/violent treatment.

There have been two confrontational incidents by members of the public towards posties in my office in the the last couple of months alone and I work in a small-ish town which I wouldn't describe as a particularly rough place to live when I compare it to where I used to live in an inner city.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

New Special delivery item,,,,new tracked item

Post by GRS »

We’ve also had postmen assaulted for delivering D2D!!! Can you imagine it........ “ No sir I can’t give you this parcel with your wife’s name on it but here you go as compensation I can give you a pizza leaflet along with 3 or 4 others”