ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How knackered are you?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

How knackered are you on a day to day basis?

I am never knackered, I am a machine, no aches, no pains.
27
6%
I have no aches or pains, but at least some days a week I fall asleep early.
33
8%
I sometimes have aches and pains, but rarely fall asleep early.
63
15%
I sometimes have aches and pains and often fall asleep early.
85
20%
I always have aches and pains, but rarely go to bed early.
57
13%
I always have aches and pains and regularly fall asleep early.
121
28%
I am absolutely shattered beyond belief!!! Help Me!!!
39
9%
 
Total votes: 425

postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by postmanzach »

Soon going back to starting at 7am so aware I’m going to need to go bed little earlier.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by postmanzach »

norris9 wrote:I personally am knackered all the time with aching muscles, painful feet and sometimes fall to sleep as early as 5pm and don't wake up until the next day. Today I have come home and I am more than knackered, I am shattered and trying to force myself to stay awake as I don't want to be going to bed at 6pm in the ruddy evening.

I am curious how everyone else feels physically on a daily basis by doing a poll.
Do you drink alcohol most days? Sorry if this seemed rude, just ask as I did, only a few beers usually, felt like I deserved it. and i was always aching, didnt reaslising how bad alcohol is for muscle recovery.
Last edited by postmanzach on 04 Sep 2019, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by Gasman11 »

Try to get out of the habit of carrying bags and use a light weight trolley as much as possible. If you're a floater and get moved around often always check the van to make sure you have one as nothing worse than working on a van share with someone who expects you to carry a bag thats bursting at the seams and really heavy. Far less demanding for the lwt to take the strain than your back etc.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by Newbie001 »

Got to force yourself to eat while on walk, even if it's just a granola bar. This job by it's very nature (exercise) keeps thing like diabetes very mild most of the time. I had same issues. But I've took blood tests that always came up negative. I definitely feel my blood sugar dropping and got all classic symptoms, especially tiredness. Now I force myself to snack during duty, even if not hungry and feel a whole lot better for it.
The aches and pains, like others said mostly down to Ill fitting shoes and walking 10 miles a day ;-) and being wrong side of 40.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by postmanzach »

-Diet and stretching plays a massvie part of feeling good imo. If you eat healhy slow release carbs, healthy fats and some good lean protein you should be fine. I have several litres of water, a bannana or apples, quaker oats with protein, couple of boiled eggs, coffee sometimes with honey for a little boost.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by postypie »

Aches and pain all the time with this job....having cancer doesn't help matters but I get little or no help from management /cwu (local reps) who just don't understand or even seem bothered about my welfare.
Have asked to be referred to ATOS/occupational health several times to see what can be done to help me but managers just fob me off with excuses and like I said cwu reps (local) just don't give a shite unless it is one of the mates who has issues!
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How knackered are you?

Post by norris9 »

postmanzach wrote:
norris9 wrote:I personally am knackered all the time with aching muscles, painful feet and sometimes fall to sleep as early as 5pm and don't wake up until the next day. Today I have come home and I am more than knackered, I am shattered and trying to force myself to stay awake as I don't want to be going to bed at 6pm in the ruddy evening.

I am curious how everyone else feels physically on a daily basis by doing a poll.
Do you drink alcohol most days? Sorry if this seemed rude, just ask as I did, only a few beers usually, felt like I deserved it. and i was always aching, didnt reaslising how bad alcohol is for muscle recovery.
I rarely drink alcohol, pretty much t-total.

If I was to guess.....

1. I need a 2 week break for my body to fully recover. Problem is as a newish recruit I cannot get 2 weeks off in one go. I feel that maybe my muscles don't have enough time to heal before I am pounding the streets again and it's a never ending cycle of muscles wanting to heal, but getting blasted again too soon.

2. The Royal Mail shoes are heavy, so I guess instead wearing some lightweight trainers will help.

3. Make sure I eat healthier and stretch.


I'll see how things go. But I would guess by the nature of the job and these poll results..... aches and pains and tiredness are inevitable in this job. We walk 8+ miles a day, up stairs, up inclines, down inclines. Even just delivering to 1 of those post boxes at the bottom of a door zaps a tonne of energy from you, it's crazy, you walk all these miles, but you feel like 20% of energy is sucked out of you in an instant of having to crouch down to force letters through some low, stiff, brass letter box.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by Trail »

norris9 wrote:
postmanzach wrote:
norris9 wrote:I personally am knackered all the time with aching muscles, painful feet and sometimes fall to sleep as early as 5pm and don't wake up until the next day. Today I have come home and I am more than knackered, I am shattered and trying to force myself to stay awake as I don't want to be going to bed at 6pm in the ruddy evening.

I am curious how everyone else feels physically on a daily basis by doing a poll.
Do you drink alcohol most days? Sorry if this seemed rude, just ask as I did, only a few beers usually, felt like I deserved it. and i was always aching, didnt reaslising how bad alcohol is for muscle recovery.
I rarely drink alcohol, pretty much t-total.

If I was to guess.....

1. I need a 2 week break for my body to fully recover. Problem is as a newish recruit I cannot get 2 weeks off in one go. I feel that maybe my muscles don't have enough time to heal before I am pounding the streets again and it's a never ending cycle of muscles wanting to heal, but getting blasted again too soon.

2. The Royal Mail shoes are heavy, so I guess instead wearing some lightweight trainers will help.

3. Make sure I eat healthier and stretch.


I'll see how things go. But I would guess by the nature of the job and these poll results..... aches and pains and tiredness are inevitable in this job. We walk 8+ miles a day, up stairs, up inclines, down inclines. Even just delivering to 1 of those post boxes at the bottom of a door zaps a tonne of energy from you, it's crazy, you walk all these miles, but you feel like 20% of energy is sucked out of you in an instant of having to crouch down to force letters through some low, stiff, brass letter box.
Number 2 is a must. When I started I was wearing CAT boots and they gave me hell, I couldn't walk after about two weeks. As soon as I switched to some Reebok trainers I had I was fine. I went back to RM shoes (Magnum) and they were even worse, they collapsed inwards - my normal shoes/trainers wear on the outside so however that worked out I'll never know. I binned them after about six weeks and moved to trainers and never looked back. If you get any s**t for wearing trainers just turn up to the DO in your RM shoes and change when you get out on delivery.

Number 3 is worth a look. I never stretched but I did make sure I ate while I was out. Also keep yourself watered.

Number 1 - good luck with that. It took me ten months to get four days off. It was only when I took three union members into the DOM office and threatened to go home at 8am if I didn't get some leave that I got some.

I wish you the best.
SeaKyle
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 May 2019, 11:57
Gender: Female

How knackered are you?

Post by SeaKyle »

Not at all. I cycle 15 miles to my DO.
Do my 8-10 mile duty walk incl lapsing because lazy fulltimers want to get finished hours before their time.
Then cycle 15 mile home.
Crossfit gym then run the dog.
Repeat.
plodplodplod
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Nov 2013, 21:30
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by plodplodplod »

funny how 10 years ago we wern't giving each other advice on what carbs or drinks we should or shouldnt eat, because we'd turn up for work, finish the job and although knackered we could go home to rest and have lunch.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How knackered are you?

Post by norris9 »

1 days rest at a time doesn't help either, not just with the physical side of things, but the mental side of things. For me it feels like I am on an endless cycle of working. Have 1 day off, then back to work. It's the first time I have worked to this kind of schedule. In past jobs having the whole weekend off is good as you have time to switch off knowing you're away from work for those days. With just the 1 day off you know it's right back to work the next day. The day off flies by.
deucepost
Posts: 6
Joined: 28 Feb 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by deucepost »

Always in pain towards the end, i'm 56, 23 years in the job, knees, feet and back, got offered IHR and went for it. Works out I got just short of a years salary so gives me a bit of time to get some other income.
It's a big decision to make but I was not goin to live as a cripple in my later years end of.
Bryan.
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by work »

deucepost wrote:Always in pain towards the end, i'm 56, 23 years in the job, knees, feet and back, got offered IHR and went for it. Works out I got just short of a years salary so gives me a bit of time to get some other income.
It's a big decision to make but I was not goin to live as a cripple in my later years end of.
Bryan.
good luck, fella
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How knackered are you?

Post by norris9 »

deucepost wrote:Always in pain towards the end, i'm 56, 23 years in the job, knees, feet and back, got offered IHR and went for it. Works out I got just short of a years salary so gives me a bit of time to get some other income.
It's a big decision to make but I was not goin to live as a cripple in my later years end of.
Bryan.
All the best.

I am already crippled after a few months in the job. Hobbling around.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

How knackered are you?

Post by k979aaa »

Shagged as a filly in a knackers yard but still alive!