ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How knackered are you?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

How knackered are you on a day to day basis?

I am never knackered, I am a machine, no aches, no pains.
27
6%
I have no aches or pains, but at least some days a week I fall asleep early.
33
8%
I sometimes have aches and pains, but rarely fall asleep early.
63
15%
I sometimes have aches and pains and often fall asleep early.
85
20%
I always have aches and pains, but rarely go to bed early.
57
13%
I always have aches and pains and regularly fall asleep early.
121
28%
I am absolutely shattered beyond belief!!! Help Me!!!
39
9%
 
Total votes: 425

norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How knackered are you?

Post by norris9 »

It seems most people feel the same as me based on the poll, currently over 50% always have aches and pains.

I am in the 'I am always aching/in pain and go to bed early sometimes' category.


I am not an oldie though. Prob would help to get an idea of the age category people are in, but anyway....

Another thing is....I am Part Time, so I don't get up as early as Full Timers.

I would have thought it's normal to have aches and pains when walking so far a day. I am amazed people can go to the gym and do physical activity after doing their round. It seems crazy to me. Why would you need more physical exercise on top of the 8+ miles you walk 5 days a week. Though it's interesting how some people are in no pain and not tired whereas others are destroyed, even though we all get plenty of exercise from this job.

I have breakfast, go to work and drink 2 bottles of water, I don't eat until I get home. I don't get hungry on the round. I definitely could eat healthier food though.

I was just hoping i'd get over the pain/aches/tiredness by now, but it's not going away. I wondered if it was just me, but based on the poll it isn't just me.

I am not overweight. I don't have any health issues. But I guess the only thing I can improve is eating healthier and maybe taking something to eat out on the round, but it's hard to believe this will change much for me when I am pounding the streets 5 days a week.

I will go for a healthier diet and report back in 2 months time. If I am still destroyed....I may have to call it a day in this job.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by grchpo »

Five weeks on with one day off each week, by week 5 I start to flag a bit, but i really like the 6th week off.
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

How knackered are you?

Post by Edward Hunter »

Definatley agree about the wallington weeks, by the end of week 5 i am flagging. mind you at 54 im not that young and have 35 years of walking in my poor old legs :crazy:
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by hero22 »

norris9 wrote:It seems most people feel the same as me based on the poll, currently over 50% always have aches and pains.

I am in the 'I am always aching/in pain and go to bed early sometimes' category.


I am not an oldie though. Prob would help to get an idea of the age category people are in, but anyway....

Another thing is....I am Part Time, so I don't get up as early as Full Timers.

I would have thought it's normal to have aches and pains when walking so far a day. I am amazed people can go to the gym and do physical activity after doing their round. It seems crazy to me. Why would you need more physical exercise on top of the 8+ miles you walk 5 days a week. Though it's interesting how some people are in no pain and not tired whereas others are destroyed, even though we all get plenty of exercise from this job.

I have breakfast, go to work and drink 2 bottles of water, I don't eat until I get home. I don't get hungry on the round. I definitely could eat healthier food though.

I was just hoping i'd get over the pain/aches/tiredness by now, but it's not going away. I wondered if it was just me, but based on the poll it isn't just me.

I am not overweight. I don't have any health issues. But I guess the only thing I can improve is eating healthier and maybe taking something to eat out on the round, but it's hard to believe this will change much for me when I am pounding the streets 5 days a week.

I will go for a healthier diet and report back in 2 months time. If I am still destroyed....I may have to call it a day in this job.
footwear makes a big difference to how i feel mate. I was wearing royal mail shoes at the beginning and was wrecked but switched to different walking shoes and make all the difference to the aches and pains. R u wearing royal mail shoes ?
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by Trail »

I worked for Royal Mail for 18 months. I never took a day off, I used to work them all. Six days a week every week, I took three days annual off to go to London.

I used to fly around any duty I was put on, any. I was the quickest kid in my office by a mile. I never had any aches at all. I apportion this to the following -

Eat well.
Drink loads.
Don't wear any RM footwear, they're all completely wrong for walking a half marathon every day; wear trainers (I wore Nike Revolution 3).

Anyone who is in their 20s moaning about aching needs to have a look at their diet, lifestyle, themselves. Same too with 30s.

I never had any of that and I'm close to 40. Also, I'm 10st wet through so I'm no Arnie...just keep yourself in shape.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by rambo1 »

south London postie wrote:No aches and pains but I do find it tiring and sleep for an hour or so mid afternoon. Proper zonked out. Rest of the day is pretty good after that :Very Happy
If you're a postie how do you have a nap mid afternoon? Most of us are still at work til 3,4 or 5pm.
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by hero22 »

Trail wrote:I worked for Royal Mail for 18 months. I never took a day off, I used to work them all. Six days a week every week, I took three days annual off to go to London.

I used to fly around any duty I was put on, any. I was the quickest kid in my office by a mile. I never had any aches at all. I apportion this to the following -

Eat well.
Drink loads.
Don't wear any RM footwear, they're all completely wrong for walking a half marathon every day; wear trainers (I wore Nike Revolution 3).

Anyone who is in their 20s moaning about aching needs to have a look at their diet, lifestyle, themselves. Same too with 30s.

I never had any of that and I'm close to 40. Also, I'm 10st wet through so I'm no Arnie...just keep yourself in shape.
ur some pup mate. wish i was a machine like u. Im sure the royal mail are devastated you only lasted the 18 months.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by rambo1 »

Trail wrote:I worked for Royal Mail for 18 months. I never took a day off, I used to work them all. Six days a week every week, I took three days annual off to go to London.

I used to fly around any duty I was put on, any. I was the quickest kid in my office by a mile. I never had any aches at all. I apportion this to the following -

Eat well.
Drink loads.
Don't wear any RM footwear, they're all completely wrong for walking a half marathon every day; wear trainers (I wore Nike Revolution 3).

Anyone who is in their 20s moaning about aching needs to have a look at their diet, lifestyle, themselves. Same too with 30s.

I never had any of that and I'm close to 40. Also, I'm 10st wet through so I'm no Arnie...just keep yourself in shape.
...... you also only worked as a postie for 18 months. Try doing 18 yrs, see how ya feel.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

How knackered are you?

Post by norris9 »

hero22 wrote:
Trail wrote:I worked for Royal Mail for 18 months. I never took a day off, I used to work them all. Six days a week every week, I took three days annual off to go to London.

I used to fly around any duty I was put on, any. I was the quickest kid in my office by a mile. I never had any aches at all. I apportion this to the following -

Eat well.
Drink loads.
Don't wear any RM footwear, they're all completely wrong for walking a half marathon every day; wear trainers (I wore Nike Revolution 3).

Anyone who is in their 20s moaning about aching needs to have a look at their diet, lifestyle, themselves. Same too with 30s.

I never had any of that and I'm close to 40. Also, I'm 10st wet through so I'm no Arnie...just keep yourself in shape.
ur some pup mate. wish i was a machine like u. Im sure the royal mail are devastated you only lasted the 18 months.

I am sure he moved from Royal Mail onto the SAS? He's probably the best in the regiment. Probably still wears those Nike Revolution 3's when fighting off enemies, right?
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by wacko74 »

rambo1 wrote:
Trail wrote:I worked for Royal Mail for 18 months. I never took a day off, I used to work them all. Six days a week every week, I took three days annual off to go to London.

I used to fly around any duty I was put on, any. I was the quickest kid in my office by a mile. I never had any aches at all. I apportion this to the following -

Eat well.
Drink loads.
Don't wear any RM footwear, they're all completely wrong for walking a half marathon every day; wear trainers (I wore Nike Revolution 3).

Anyone who is in their 20s moaning about aching needs to have a look at their diet, lifestyle, themselves. Same too with 30s.

I never had any of that and I'm close to 40. Also, I'm 10st wet through so I'm no Arnie...just keep yourself in shape.
...... you also only worked as a postie for 18 months. Try doing 18 yrs, see how ya feel.
THIS!!!!
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by Rumple »

15 years service and its only the last couple of years I've been suffering with stiff lower back, sore hips and knees and leg muscles that are stiff and sore. I'm under 40 and I know I cannot do this till I'm 67. Something has got to change, the ill-fated proposal of a 35 hour week would be a step in theright direction. Only having 1 Saturday off every 6 weeks means a 6 week wait to have 2 consecutive days off which does help when it eventually comes around.
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

How knackered are you?

Post by twoloops »

norris9 wrote: Another thing is....I am Part Time, so I don't get up as early as Full Timers.
I don't see that matters, most of your work for RM involves walking out on delivery, whereas a full timers early doors stuff is stand/sitting/canteen/sorting?

I think dump the RM footwear & do a bit of stretching of your legs & feet before & after work.

Why do these questions never turn up on the letters page of that rag the RM put out?
1617mel
Posts: 172
Joined: 11 Oct 2017, 15:13
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by 1617mel »

I am now in my sixties and believe me you feel every day, the aches and pains in knees hips ,ankles, feet, I work in a city so plenty tenements[stairs] maybe 40 to 60
per day. just glad when each day is done.nowadays no mercy for age, so its full steam ahead to retirement day 2023. but if you speak to colleagues they all say the same apart from the super fit , that they struggle to get through each day. and royal mail want to once again extend delivery times. the sick days are just going to go uo and up
there policies are crazy.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by postmanzach »

Use to be knackered all the time when I drank beer every day, now I don’t I’m fine most of the time. My round has a lot of driving on it between businesses and a collection. Got sore legs today but ran 5 miles before work yesterday.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How knackered are you?

Post by postmanzach »

twoloops wrote:
norris9 wrote: Another thing is....I am Part Time, so I don't get up as early as Full Timers.
I don't see that matters, most of your work for RM involves walking out on delivery, whereas a full timers early doors stuff is stand/sitting/canteen/sorting?

I think dump the RM footwear & do a bit of stretching of your legs & feet before & after work.

Why do these questions never turn up on the letters page of that rag the RM put out?
I find it makes a massive difference. I have been starting at 810 so sleep in till 740 somedays! and I’m never tired when I started at 630 I was always shattered.