ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
wallington weeks
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
wallington weeks
If I was a manager I'd be pushing for everyone to have Wallington's. It must be so much easier to manage, putting cover people on the same walks for a week rather than having to cover days here , there and everywhere.
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
wallington weeks
I agree completely. In fact I think if people worked a 30 or 32 hour week but on a work 6, work 6, week off pattern, almost everyone would be happier and RM would find rota-ing and holiday arranging much easier (granted, some people do need the extra money 38 hours provides).citypostie wrote:If I was a manager I'd be pushing for everyone to have Wallington's. It must be so much easier to manage, putting cover people on the same walks for a week rather than having to cover days here , there and everywhere.
However as higher management aren't involved in rota setting or allocating holidays, and aren't directly affected by the shambles that both are frequently reduced to, I don't think they care much.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
wallington weeks
Good summary. Week 5 and I am loving the job but being a reserve they are starting to take the piss, I can be sent anywhere to any depot, some days 4 hours work, some days 7 hours work, at the beck and call of a managers text. Have to work 5 days a week but only guaranteed 27.5 hours pay. I will stick it out and see how it pans out. Welcome to the gig economy creeping into Royal Mail....DGH wrote:RM would much rather have part timers in 5 days a week contracted for 5 hours or so a day because there's far more chance of those staff needing the overtime on the busier days, and it's that which is driving the move to less flexible working patterns (like 9/fortnight, 6 day weeks with a week off, 4 day weeks, etc).
The 35 hour week will only come with us accepting unpaid breaks (which would put us pretty much there already).
But whatever happens, the push to universal 5 day weeks by RM will be remorseless and basically unopposed by the union. Rico Back's track record speaks for itself and his definition of a flexible workforce doesn't appear on the face of it to include the company being flexible.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
wallington weeks
I am not 100% but if you are a RM employee then you should have a start time and a finish time every day that is set - if you are under the impression that you can work 12 hours one day 1 hour the next, 6 the next etc as long as it totals 27.5 over 5 then youve been mislead.Cloudwatcher wrote:Good summary. Week 5 and I am loving the job but being a reserve they are starting to take the piss, I can be sent anywhere to any depot, some days 4 hours work, some days 7 hours work, at the beck and call of a managers text. Have to work 5 days a week but only guaranteed 27.5 hours pay. I will stick it out and see how it pans out. Welcome to the gig economy creeping into Royal Mail....DGH wrote:RM would much rather have part timers in 5 days a week contracted for 5 hours or so a day because there's far more chance of those staff needing the overtime on the busier days, and it's that which is driving the move to less flexible working patterns (like 9/fortnight, 6 day weeks with a week off, 4 day weeks, etc).
The 35 hour week will only come with us accepting unpaid breaks (which would put us pretty much there already).
But whatever happens, the push to universal 5 day weeks by RM will be remorseless and basically unopposed by the union. Rico Back's track record speaks for itself and his definition of a flexible workforce doesn't appear on the face of it to include the company being flexible.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
wallington weeks
A Lot like them alas we never had the chance but the best workforce is a happy workforce if they tweak the dynamic it will prove problematic for them!
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
wallington weeks
OK thanks. I think as a newby reserve our rights are not stated maybe so that the managers can take the piss a bit. A few old timers who have been my partners have told me to watch out. That is interesting to note that I can just say I am sticking to my hours. I need to know my rights so as I can assert them. I think I may stick my ground a bit more now. Cheers.Acca Dacca wrote:I am not 100% but if you are a RM employee then you should have a start time and a finish time every day that is set - if you are under the impression that you can work 12 hours one day 1 hour the next, 6 the next etc as long as it totals 27.5 over 5 then youve been mislead.Cloudwatcher wrote:Good summary. Week 5 and I am loving the job but being a reserve they are starting to take the piss, I can be sent anywhere to any depot, some days 4 hours work, some days 7 hours work, at the beck and call of a managers text. Have to work 5 days a week but only guaranteed 27.5 hours pay. I will stick it out and see how it pans out. Welcome to the gig economy creeping into Royal Mail....DGH wrote:RM would much rather have part timers in 5 days a week contracted for 5 hours or so a day because there's far more chance of those staff needing the overtime on the busier days, and it's that which is driving the move to less flexible working patterns (like 9/fortnight, 6 day weeks with a week off, 4 day weeks, etc).
The 35 hour week will only come with us accepting unpaid breaks (which would put us pretty much there already).
But whatever happens, the push to universal 5 day weeks by RM will be remorseless and basically unopposed by the union. Rico Back's track record speaks for itself and his definition of a flexible workforce doesn't appear on the face of it to include the company being flexible.