ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Children answering doors.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Children answering doors.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Newbie001 wrote: Yeah that's gonna be fun. Trying to explain to the junkie who's never drove or been abroad that they're not getting their new phone till they provide valid ID.
Why would they need to provide proof of age for a phone?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by Trail »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Newbie001 wrote: Yeah that's gonna be fun. Trying to explain to the junkie who's never drove or been abroad that they're not getting their new phone till they provide valid ID.
Why would they need to provide proof of age for a phone?
Rules.

If RM are going to stipulate that there's an age limit on some packets and they deem £500 worth of iPhone needing ID, then so be it. You can't bend the rules irrespective of what's inside the packet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Children answering doors.

Post by clashcityrocker »

The only suggestion in the thread is for age restricted products.
Nothing about value.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Children answering doors.

Post by Ozzvaldo »

This idea of age-restricted/proof of ID deliveries was discussed in my office at WTLL last week, although I only heard second hand from a colleague because I was on annual leave.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by miles_peters »

fed_up_postie wrote:
noggin1969 wrote:How are we supposed to know what is in the package , to know if it's age restricted ? Or is the sender putting a sticker on or will the bar code flash up on the PDA like the tills do in shops ?
We have been told there will be stickers put on the parcels stating they are for over 25's only,if the person looks under 25 we have to ask them to provide id, if they can not provide id we have to write a docket out and take the parcel back, the items will require valid id at point of sale as well
over 25's????? why over 25?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Ozzvaldo wrote:This idea of age-restricted/proof of ID deliveries was discussed in my office at WTLL last week, although I only heard second hand from a colleague because I was on annual leave.
I don't get how it can work, you'd need to have every single packet have printed on it a declaration of what's in the packet
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by Postie45 »

norris9 wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:As long as the parcel crosses the threshold your job is done.
If they can sign their name I deem them old enough to sign. It is a judgement call though. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.
As for calling the police .....you would have to have some serious concerns. I would talk to a neighbour first.
ok. A 5 year old girl was home alone today. Answered the door - said her parents were out, sorry but I was worried for her. I didn't bother calling the police, no.
I believe it's your social responsibility (forget being a postman) to contact authorities if a 5 year old has been left alone at home, this is clearly not ok and the child is in incredible risk adding to which they are answering the door to people and then telling them theyre alone.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Children answering doors.

Post by DGH »

Postie45 wrote:
norris9 wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:As long as the parcel crosses the threshold your job is done.
If they can sign their name I deem them old enough to sign. It is a judgement call though. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.
As for calling the police .....you would have to have some serious concerns. I would talk to a neighbour first.
ok. A 5 year old girl was home alone today. Answered the door - said her parents were out, sorry but I was worried for her. I didn't bother calling the police, no.
I believe it's your social responsibility (forget being a postman) to contact authorities if a 5 year old has been left alone at home, this is clearly not ok and the child is in incredible risk adding to which they are answering the door to people and then telling them theyre alone.
It's against the law to leave a young child alone in the house. That's certainly a police matter.

It might be worth checking that there isn't anyone else actually on the property (by asking 'is anyone else home? or similar, or calling through the open door, because they might have a teenage sibiling who's in bed or can't be bothered to leave his xbox, etc.). Asking a neighbour might be an idea too.

But if you're pretty sure they are actually alone then morally you should call the police (and then ring your manager to explain you're likely to be delayed . . .

Of course you are not obliged to report any crime, so you can indeed just hand the packet over and carry on.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by leolion855 »

Trail wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Newbie001 wrote: Yeah that's gonna be fun. Trying to explain to the junkie who's never drove or been abroad that they're not getting their new phone till they provide valid ID.
Why would they need to provide proof of age for a phone?
Rules.

If RM are going to stipulate that there's an age limit on some packets and they deem £500 worth of iPhone needing ID, then so be it. You can't bend the rules irrespective of what's inside the packet.

if theres gonna be any chance of getting threatened because you cant hand the package over, just hand the package over
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Trail wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Newbie001 wrote: Yeah that's gonna be fun. Trying to explain to the junkie who's never drove or been abroad that they're not getting their new phone till they provide valid ID.
Why would they need to provide proof of age for a phone?
Rules.

If RM are going to stipulate that there's an age limit on some packets and they deem £500 worth of iPhone needing ID, then so be it. You can't bend the rules irrespective of what's inside the packet.
Unless it's stated on the packet what's inside, how do you know if it's an age restricted item?
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by DrSatan »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Trail wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Newbie001 wrote: Yeah that's gonna be fun. Trying to explain to the junkie who's never drove or been abroad that they're not getting their new phone till they provide valid ID.
Why would they need to provide proof of age for a phone?
Rules.

If RM are going to stipulate that there's an age limit on some packets and they deem £500 worth of iPhone needing ID, then so be it. You can't bend the rules irrespective of what's inside the packet.
Unless it's stated on the packet what's inside, how do you know if it's an age restricted item?
It will have a sticker on it stating it needs I.D. Amazon already do this for certain items.

They were on watchdog a few months ago as they often use to just hand over the parcels without checking I.D.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

DrSatan wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Trail wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Newbie001 wrote: Yeah that's gonna be fun. Trying to explain to the junkie who's never drove or been abroad that they're not getting their new phone till they provide valid ID.
Why would they need to provide proof of age for a phone?
Rules.

If RM are going to stipulate that there's an age limit on some packets and they deem £500 worth of iPhone needing ID, then so be it. You can't bend the rules irrespective of what's inside the packet.
Unless it's stated on the packet what's inside, how do you know if it's an age restricted item?
It will have a sticker on it stating it needs I.D. Amazon already do this for certain items.

They were on watchdog a few months ago as they often use to just hand over the parcels without checking I.D.
What about stuff that's not from Amazon? Locally outside of Xmas pressure, we don't get very many Amazon items passing through
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Children answering doors.

Post by Ozzvaldo »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:This idea of age-restricted/proof of ID deliveries was discussed in my office at WTLL last week, although I only heard second hand from a colleague because I was on annual leave.
I don't get how it can work, you'd need to have every single packet have printed on it a declaration of what's in the packet
No idea either, just posting what the Gestapo told our office last week.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Ozzvaldo wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:This idea of age-restricted/proof of ID deliveries was discussed in my office at WTLL last week, although I only heard second hand from a colleague because I was on annual leave.
I don't get how it can work, you'd need to have every single packet have printed on it a declaration of what's in the packet
No idea either, just posting what the Gestapo told our office last week.
The only way that I can think of would be for every packet to have a 2D barcode on it, with the age restriction info as part of the barcode data (I think all packets will have 2D barcodes on them anyway within the next few years - more and more packets seem to have 2D barcodes on them
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Children answering doors.

Post by picture123 »

Only certain tracked and specials will have it. It will state age verification needed or proof of ID needed in the same place as it says local collect. It will then prompt you on pda when you scan it to confirm you have seen ID. Anyone who looks under 25 must present driving license /passport.